Lighting..............

The Vulcan

Very eye cathing, beautiful images.

Always amazed at the quality of your photos, superb sharpness, spot-on exposure, focus (and bokeh), detail, color balance and contrast. Wish I could see them in original size.

Are you sure they're all hand held? Seems too dark for a telephoto zoom without IS for handl held and thought you said you always use tripod with 70-200.

How was the festival?

Edited by Nordlys

Very eye cathing, beautiful images.

Always amazed at the quality of your photos, superb sharpness, spot-on focus (and bokeh), detail, color balance and contrast. Wish I could see them in original size.

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/envirosea/gal...000cOOybD9BGTk/

Are you sure they're all hand held? Seems too dark for a telephoto zoom without IS for handl held and thought you said you always use tripod with 70-200.

Thank you for your kind comments - All hand held. First 2 with 70-200 at ISO 500/640 [email protected] - second 2 with 85mm ISO [email protected] - manual focusing!

The festival is on the beach and it's a real big walk in deep sand to get to the action - tripod best left at home!

How was the festival?

It's still running - the last 2 shots were from this evening. Seems to be on for a few more days in different parts of the Town.

It's quite good actually, not really my music but well performed and a lovely laid back and friendly atmosphere.

Actually the 85mm F1.8 is a 20 year old lens and still available for c13,000 baht!

Handholding is quite easy really with the 5D. It's a very heavy camera with the attached power pack, and I always have my flashgun attached (don't always use it though). I find this "dead" weight to be quite stable and fell comfortable at 1/30th with the "smaller lenses".

The 70-200 L is, of course, a different matter.

One thing I have established, especially with the longer lenses, is that if I manually pre-focus and meter manually I am then free to concentrate on framing and stability without having the camera distracting me with constant focus and metering adjustments. I NEVER use autofocus unless it's a moving subject or a street "grab".

I hope this doesn't come over as a "lecture" - just my technique which you may like to try.

Thanks for the nice comments on my images

One thing I have established, especially with the longer lenses, is that if I manually pre-focus and meter manually I am then free to concentrate on framing and stability without having the camera distracting me with constant focus and metering adjustments. I NEVER use autofocus unless it's a moving subject or a street "grab".

But 5D seems to have a pretty good reputation over cropped sensor models for its accuracy of focusing. And it's so difficult to manual focus with an auto focus lens/camera, especially with a focusing screen designed for AF. Do you use super precision matt focusing screen Ee-S with your 5D (is it available in Thailand?)? I don't think I can accurately focus with AF camera manually than I can with auto, especially in low light condition like in your photos. I don't think Ee-S is an option for me as it only works for lens faster than F2.8 and it makes the finder quite a bit dimmer than the other two screens (I use one with grids), and I have a few F4 lenses.

And lighting changes too frequently on the stage. Do you use camera's spot meter mode when metering?

Thanks for the link. I like the photo of the 3 girls at the beach and an image of the boat on the beach (but they are hardly orignal size, but never mind that).

Edited by Nordlys

But 5D seems to have a pretty good reputation over cropped sensor models for its accuracy of focusing. And it's so difficult to manual focus with an auto focus lens/camera, especially with a focusing screen designed for AF. Do you use super precision matt focusing screen Ee-S with your 5D (is it available in Thailand?)? I don't think I can accurately focus with AF camera manually than I can with auto, especially in low light condition like in your photos. I don't think Ee-S is an option for me as it only works for lens faster than F2.8 and it makes the finder quite a bit dimmer than the other two screens (I use one with grids), and I have a few F4 lenses.

And lighting changes too frequently on the stage. Do you use camera's spot meter mode when metering?

Thanks for the link. I like the photo of the 3 girls at the beach and an image of the boat on the beach (but they are hardly orignal size, but never mind that).

Normal screen (as supplied) in my 5D. Take spot or centre weighted reading and "lock it"

One thing I have established, especially with the longer lenses, is that if I manually pre-focus and meter manually

I am then free to concentrate on framing and stability without having the camera distracting me with constant focus and metering adjustments.

I NEVER use autofocus unless it's a moving subject or a street "grab".

It may be my eyes, but I always use autofocus.

Before I bought my first EOS in 1990 I was loosing too many shots due to poor focus.....

I hope this doesn't come over as a "lecture" - just my technique which you may like to try.

You comments/advice are always welcome :o