Can I Get Thai Citizenship?

Basically, I'm America. I'm a US citizen. I was raised in South Florida, but I want to live in Thailand now. I don't want to just get a VISA and just reapply every year. Since I was born in Thailand, am half-Thai, how easy would it be? I heard since I had legal troubles over here when I was a teenager, that they may frown upon that. Is that true? If so, please give me all the insight you can possibly enlighten me with. Thanks so much.

Basically, just the process from start to finish is what I need, if possible.

Basically, I'm America. I'm a US citizen. I was raised in South Florida, but I want to live in Thailand now. I don't want to just get a VISA and just reapply every year. Since I was born in Thailand, am half-Thai, how easy would it be? I heard since I had legal troubles over here when I was a teenager, that they may frown upon that. Is that true? If so, please give me all the insight you can possibly enlighten me with. Thanks so much.

Basically, just the process from start to finish is what I need, if possible.

Do you still have documents proving you to be Thai by birth ? eg. passport, birth certificate etc.

If your mother is Thai you can get a Thai ID card and have dual citizenship. I know one other person that did this, but since her mother and father was divorced and I believe her father raised her she had to submit to a blood test to prove she was the offspring of a Thai national. You might want to speak with the Thai foreign ministers office on Chang Wattana in Bangkok.

Barry

Look at your birth certificate. If you have one parent who was a Thai national, then that makes you Thai. It will be reflected as such, as your birth certificate will state clearly that you are Thai.

If you are in the US: Approach the embassy in washington DC with your Birth Certificate and reqeust a passport. Use this to enter Thailand. You then go to the Ampur to get on a relatives house registration and you can get an ID card

If you are already in Thailand, simply take your birth certificate to the ampur, get on the house registration and then get an ID card. With these things, you can apply for a passport. Exit Thailand on your US passport, re-enter on your Thai passport.

The process is pretty straightforward, but will take a few days to organise.

• 8 months later...
Look at your birth certificate. If you have one parent who was a Thai national, then that makes you Thai. It will be reflected as such, as your birth certificate will state clearly that you are Thai.

If you are in the US: Approach the embassy in washington DC with your Birth Certificate and reqeust a passport. Use this to enter Thailand. You then go to the Ampur to get on a relatives house registration and you can get an ID card

If you are already in Thailand, simply take your birth certificate to the ampur, get on the house registration and then get an ID card. With these things, you can apply for a passport. Exit Thailand on your US passport, re-enter on your Thai passport.

The process is pretty straightforward, but will take a few days to organise.

cool. I just posted a topic asking about this and this is my answer!! Thank You!