Attracted To Thailand "for The Danger"

scotwumman

How many of us expats or wannabees are attracted to Thailand for the danger it may involve. I only travel there, a lot it has to be said, and come home each time vowing never to return. But........

What are you, a drug smuggler or something?

What danger? I think there's a much slimmer chance here of getting beaten up, robbed or killed...some of the expats here exhibit the kind of behavior that in their home countries would get their heads bashed in 10 seconds. As for the women...try buying a house for a woman you met a week before in a bar in London/Paris, etc. and see how long the relationship will last :o

Yes Garro for some. I travel at lot. It is a reasonable question but I didn't really expect a teacher of your calibre to make a reasonable input so therefore, not disappointed.

I am pleased that you are not disappointed and thank you for taking and interest in my life.

How many of us expats or wannabees are attracted to Thailand for the danger it may involve. I only travel there, a lot it has to be said, and come home each time vowing never to return. But........

An interesting topic.

Please enlighten me as to what you consider danger. I don't feel any sense of danger at all, other than dodging traffic.

TB and Hep B is every where in Thailand, and I contracted TB while in Thailand, I hope it never goes active....

Thailand is dangerous, people drive like crazy, and life is cheap here. If you think not.... I would hate to see what your home countries state of affairs are like.

Any place can be dangerous, at any time. And if you go anywhere looking for trouble, you'll be sure to find it (eventually).

However, I don't find Thailand to be dangerous. Yeah, traffic can be bad, but you know that so you watch for it (from every direction and angle).

There are places that are less safe than others (like the southern provinces, Beach road at 2 am for some people, and kurgen's garden) :o

Overall, I've found it quite a bit better than many other places though (like Amsterdam, Vancouver, Cairo, Delhi, Raro's basement :D )

TB and Hep B is every where in Thailand, and I contracted TB while in Thailand, I hope it never goes active....

Thailand is dangerous, people drive like crazy, and life is cheap here. If you think not.... I would hate to see what your home countries state of affairs are like.

Why do so many posters complain about the Thai drivers? They (the Farangs) must have never gotten off the farm back home. Ever been to LA, Phoenix or Miami to name a few. Thailand looks like a model of civility compared to many large American cities. I do agree that safety, particularly traffic safety is not a priority here, but there also is not the climate of agressiveness and confrontation that is found in American society.

I am really surprised that someone who I presume is from the UK (please correct me if I am wrong) finds Thailand to be a dangerous place.

I feel a lot more at ease in Thailand than I did in the UK I have never been harassed for money by a beggar at an atm machine or crossed the road to avoid a gang of hoodies over here. I walk around at night alone and feel very safe.

Why do so many posters complain about the Thai drivers? They (the Farangs) must have never gotten off the farm back home. Ever been to LA, Phoenix or Miami to name a few. Thailand looks like a model of civility compared to many large American cities. I do agree that safety, particularly traffic safety is not a priority here, but there also is not the climate of agressiveness and confrontation that is found in American society.

I'm from L.A. originally. It is far safer to drive there than anywhere in Thailand. Sure we have our share of reckless and drunk drivers, but overall it is much safer. I wouldn't walk the streets alone in L.A. at night however. I have no fear of that here.

I'm from L.A. originally. It is far safer to drive there than anywhere in Thailand. Sure we have our share of reckless and drunk drivers, but overall it is much safer. I wouldn't walk the streets alone in L.A. at night however. I have no fear of that here.

I am also from LA and I remember the highway killer in the late 80's who was never caught, he or she shot ppl on the highways just for the fun of it.

I am also from LA and I remember the highway killer in the late 80's who was never caught, he or she shot ppl on the highways just for the fun of it.

Something like that can happen anywhere. Like the two snipers in Maryland and Virginia in 2002. Fortunately they were caught.

I was referring in an earlier post to dangerous and drunk drivers on the roads and highways in Thailand.

I'm a 'danger junkie' or should I say, soon to be an "ex-danger junkie" as I am too old now. I got hooked in Vietnam way back when. Thailand (especially BKK) has a certain "electicity" to it. A danger junkie can find it anywhere just like a drug addict. I admit going into areas of Bangkok late at night - places where no foreigners should go - slum areas, etc. I just hang around long enoug to feel the "juice" - the adreline - as I encroach into dangerous neighborhoods to just get a 'taste,' then I get the hel_l out of there. Even was chased once and thank god a taxi saved me. It's crazy, I know, but hard to explain. I'm pretty sure those day are over, at least I hope so but I gotta be honest... I'm not sure if I'm completely "clean." Time will tell. What can I say? I'm nuts.

QUOTE (scotwumman @ 2008-06-17 18:44:32)

How many of us expats or wannabees are attracted to Thailand for the danger it may involve.

Not many I would expect. The reason traffic is so often mentioned is noone can come up with many other examples of obvious danger worse than their home country.

Try and ridicule them if you want but your expectation people come here for danger just doesn't strike a cord.

Why don't you explain your sense of danger that draws you back here instead of boring traffic comments..................

How many of us expats or wannabees are attracted to Thailand for the danger it may involve.

I think you need to travel to a few more countries if you think this a dangerous one. Sure its not perfect, but where is?

IMHO its a lot safer than the many other places I have visited and thats why its now my home.

Dave

I am not surprised so few people start a topic here. Did I mention traffic?

No, you did'nt mention the traffic, but you also failed to give the reason why you keep vowing never to return.

Enlighten us.

The air? Breeeath deep!

GREENPEACE

Campaign for Alternatives Industry Network

Global Community Monitor

Bangkok, 6 October 2005. Greenpeace Southeast Asia, Campaign for Alternative Industry Network (CAIN) and Global Community Monitor (GCM) today are releasing the new report titled "Thailand’s Air : Toxic Cocktail – Exposing Unsustainable Industries and the case of community-right-to-know" that shows some of the most shocking evidences of toxic pollution that are being released by Multinationals at Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate.

Some of the most shocking findings include air test results that prove people in Rayong province are breathing toxic chemicals from industry that are 60 to over 3,000 times higher than health standards in developed nations. The air samples show that men, women and children are breathing a "cocktail" of many chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects and serious illness.

The groups has been working together to set up "do-it-ourselves pollutant inventories" at Map Ta Phut area, using the popularization of simplified "grab sampling" that simulates the lung’s breathing in of foul chemical odours and allows for detailed testing of their chemical makeup – this method known as "the Bucket Brigade". The new report documents the extremely dangerous levels of hazardous air pollution present in residential areas surrounding the Map Ta Phut area. Five air samples were taken over an eight month period in 2004 to represent the all too numerous chemical odor releases that take place routinely.

Some of the most shocking findings include:

Benzene -known human cancer causing agent- detected in 4 of the 5 samples exceeded the US EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by as much as 60 times.Vinyl Chloride -known human cancer causing agent- detected in 2 samples exceeded the EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by as much as 86 times.1,2-Dichloroethane (EDC) -known probable human cancer causing agent- detected in 2 samples exceeded the EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by as much as 3,380 times.Chloroform -known probable human cancer causing agent- detected in a sample was in excess of the EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by 119 times.A total of 20 different toxic chemicals were identified in the five air samples.At least 6 up to 12 VOCs (Volatile Organic Chemicals) and sulphur compounds were detected in each sample, and at least 2 of the toxic chemicals are in excess of one or more health protective standards or screening levels, giving proof the toxic cocktail inhaled in Map Ta Phut.

"The test results prove that residents downwind of the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate are breathing high levels of health threatening chemicals under normal conditions" Tara Buakamsri of Greenpeace Southeast Asia stated.

According to standards set in the developed world, such levels can cause serious illness and injury. If this level of toxic pollution was found to be released by the same corporations in the United States, it would be a serious violation of law. But these companies refuse to provide the basic right to know information about their pollution. They can ignore people’s right to breathe clean air. This is proof of a double standard." added Denny Larson of GCM.

"This is why public accessibility to information in Thailand is needed. People have a basic right to know what is being dumped into our air. We have also brought in the bucket brigade system so the fenceline communities can put the claims of industry to the test. No longer will industrial neighbors have to rely on monitoring by government or industry. They can determine for themselves that there is already too much pollution in places like Ma Ta Phut and say ‘No More! "concluded Penchom Tang of Campaign for Alternative Industry Network.

The air? Breeeath deep!

GREENPEACE

Campaign for Alternatives Industry Network

Global Community Monitor

Bangkok, 6 October 2005. Greenpeace Southeast Asia, Campaign for Alternative Industry Network (CAIN) and Global Community Monitor (GCM) today are releasing the new report titled "Thailand’s Air : Toxic Cocktail – Exposing Unsustainable Industries and the case of community-right-to-know" that shows some of the most shocking evidences of toxic pollution that are being released by Multinationals at Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate.

Some of the most shocking findings include air test results that prove people in Rayong province are breathing toxic chemicals from industry that are 60 to over 3,000 times higher than health standards in developed nations. The air samples show that men, women and children are breathing a "cocktail" of many chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects and serious illness.

The groups has been working together to set up "do-it-ourselves pollutant inventories" at Map Ta Phut area, using the popularization of simplified "grab sampling" that simulates the lung’s breathing in of foul chemical odours and allows for detailed testing of their chemical makeup – this method known as "the Bucket Brigade". The new report documents the extremely dangerous levels of hazardous air pollution present in residential areas surrounding the Map Ta Phut area. Five air samples were taken over an eight month period in 2004 to represent the all too numerous chemical odor releases that take place routinely.

Some of the most shocking findings include:

Benzene -known human cancer causing agent- detected in 4 of the 5 samples exceeded the US EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by as much as 60 times.Vinyl Chloride -known human cancer causing agent- detected in 2 samples exceeded the EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by as much as 86 times.1,2-Dichloroethane (EDC) -known probable human cancer causing agent- detected in 2 samples exceeded the EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by as much as 3,380 times.Chloroform -known probable human cancer causing agent- detected in a sample was in excess of the EPA Annual Ambient Air Screening Level by 119 times.A total of 20 different toxic chemicals were identified in the five air samples.At least 6 up to 12 VOCs (Volatile Organic Chemicals) and sulphur compounds were detected in each sample, and at least 2 of the toxic chemicals are in excess of one or more health protective standards or screening levels, giving proof the toxic cocktail inhaled in Map Ta Phut.

"The test results prove that residents downwind of the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate are breathing high levels of health threatening chemicals under normal conditions" Tara Buakamsri of Greenpeace Southeast Asia stated.

According to standards set in the developed world, such levels can cause serious illness and injury. If this level of toxic pollution was found to be released by the same corporations in the United States, it would be a serious violation of law. But these companies refuse to provide the basic right to know information about their pollution. They can ignore people’s right to breathe clean air. This is proof of a double standard." added Denny Larson of GCM.

"This is why public accessibility to information in Thailand is needed. People have a basic right to know what is being dumped into our air. We have also brought in the bucket brigade system so the fenceline communities can put the claims of industry to the test. No longer will industrial neighbors have to rely on monitoring by government or industry. They can determine for themselves that there is already too much pollution in places like Ma Ta Phut and say ‘No More! "concluded Penchom Tang of Campaign for Alternative Industry Network.