43 State Enterprises Join Anti-pm Rally; Threaten Electricity, Water Cuts

george

43 state enterprises join anti-PM rally; threaten electricity, water cuts

BANGKOK: -- Reiterating that they would continue to provide moral support to the ongoing marathon rally against the coalition government of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej in central Bangkok, leaders of 43 state-owned and operated enterprises on Tuesday pledged to adopt latest tactics by cutting

off electricity, water and allowing the public to travel at no cost on trains and buses.

In a move seen as greatly increasing political 'temperature' and pressure by directly challenging the four-month-old government, leaders of the 43 state enterprises said they would continue to cooperate with the anti-government rally organised by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and that they were prepared to adopt the PAD's "civil disobedience" strategy.

The PAD has been demonstrating near the gates of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP), the UN's regional headquarters, since May 25, demanding that Mr. Samak to leave his post.

Sathit Kaew-wan, secretary-general of the Confederation of State Enterprises Labour Union, said his organisation has decided to join the PAD rally, ready to implement its "civil disobedience" programme and that its members are awaiting an instruction of PAD core leaders.

The strategy, said Mr. Sathit, involves allowing people to travel on state-run trains and buses operated by Bangkok Mass Transit Authority at no cost and cutting off electricity supply to government agencies.

A deputy labour union chairman of the government-run Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) said the civil disobedience would start at the Interior Ministry because it has not paid electricity bills for several months. At present the ministry owes more than Bt13 million to the MEA.

The electricity authority wrote to the ministry on June 11, asking that it settle the bills quickly but there is no response so far.

Mr. Sathit said the union members would stop their work immediately if the government uses force in breaking up the PAD rally.

The government has failed to achieve its task of administering the country, especially in regard to solving the current rising cost of living, he said.

--TNA 2008-06-17

A deputy labour union chairman of the government-run Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) said the civil disobedience would start at the Interior Ministry because it has not paid electricity bills for several months. At present the ministry owes more than Bt13 million to the MEA.

Ha ha, Samak's not paid the leccy bill. :D:o

Edited by globalj

While our house was built, I came back one evening to find our electr. meter had been stolen. :D

My wife made a phone call and was told it had been removed because of an outstanding bill of 58 baht. :D

The PPP end is near.

While our house was built, I came back one evening to find our electr. meter had been stolen. :D

My wife made a phone call and was told it had been removed because of an outstanding bill of 58 baht. :D

The PPP end is near.

So it seems the interior Minister is more "yai" than your wife and you by 22.413.793 % (if I calculate right).

Maybe ask if they can put your bill on Chalerms invoice. 13.000.000 or 13.000.058 won't make a big difference.

The PPP end is near.

Would that have happened if the ETSA had been privatized, NEVER......... all I can say is ha ha ha, support union controlled government enterprises and thats what you get. Private enterprise forces better customer service and accountablility of the enterprise, and don't give us rubbish that any government in power for 6 months would have been able to have ANY influence over your electric meter. Blame this one on Thaksin.

The PPP end is near.

Would that have happened if the ETSA had been privatized, NEVER......... all I can say is ha ha ha, support union controlled government enterprises and thats what you get. Private enterprise forces better customer service and accountablility of the enterprise, and don't give us rubbish that any government in power for 6 months would have been able to have ANY influence over your electric meter. Blame this one on Thaksin.

Just if a corrupt government privatize (spelling???) it, it just goes for a much too low price from state owned into some corrupt ownership. specially if you can't choose supplier you create a private monopole with higher prices, worse service than if state controlled.

water and electric cuts ,wont be noticed down in samui,we have them all the time

They told to cut for government places and provide free service for private homes.

In my opinion the important places should have a diesel generator.

<br />
water and electric cuts ,wont be noticed down in samui,we have them all the time
<br /><br />They told to cut for government places and provide free service for private homes.<br />In my opinion the important places should have a diesel generator.<br />
at some time we have a powerloss a day that lasts for hours. Edited by NHJ

Private enterprise forces better customer service and accountablility of the enterprise

Judging by PTT performance, it doesn't work in Thailand. They got fat, we got skinned.

Before privatisation every pump offered to throw away your trash and clean your windows, after privatisation PTT squeezed them by the balls and we get nothing, not even a free bottle of water, not even from PTT itself.

We have a pradox of high fuel prices and fuel stations going out of business at the same time. Jet is gone, Q8 is gone, half of Shell is gone.

That's how privatisation works in Thailand.

Private enterprise forces better customer service and accountablility of the enterprise

Judging by PTT performance, it doesn't work in Thailand. They got fat, we got skinned.

Before privatisation every pump offered to throw away your trash and clean your windows, after privatisation PTT squeezed them by the balls and we get nothing, not even a free bottle of water, not even from PTT itself.

We have a pradox of high fuel prices and fuel stations going out of business at the same time. Jet is gone, Q8 is gone, half of Shell is gone.

That is exactly what PTT is doing at the moment. Currently they are working as hard as they can to push all private filling stations out of business.

They also are trying to get all PTT resellers, who are not under financial obligation to PTT, to sign lengthy contracts, with huge penalty clauses for under-target sales and suspected purchases of petroleum products from other sources. They are dangling the carrot, offering new style pumps and complete re-fit for free if you sign a twenty year contract, with a target sales per month.

On top of that, if you do not allow PTT to directly monitor your sales, via instant pump/sales tally through a broadband connection, the margin they are allowing a reseller to make, after transport costs, is around 35 satang per litre (on diesel fuel). You have to sell 100 litres to make 1 litre from which you then pay all the operating costs of your service station. They want all stations to do this to make sure they are not buying from other sources. If you toe the line (in PTT Sales eyes), your margin goes up dramatically.

Daily purchase quotas are regurarely imposed, that are not at all aggreeable with most pumps buy/sell ratios and delivery options. It is very un-economical to only order half full trucks. These quotas are given to PTT stations that are suspected of buying slightly cheaper benzene products from Shell or other sources, or selling PTT's slightly cheaper diesel products to other private stations or "jobbers" (bulk buying syndicates). Another side of the quotas is PTT is trying to force the "gasahol" products on the market, even though most motorists don't want it. There is currently a huge ethanol glut in Thailand.

PTT won't be happy until there is only one brand in Thailand, run the way they want it run, with individual petrol stations becoming glorified cashiers making 40,000B per month for tens of millions of baht investment and having all the worry of the day to day running, staffing etc.

Soundman.

That is exactly what PTT is doing at the moment. Currently they are working as hard as they can to push all private filling stations out of business.

They also are trying to get all PTT resellers, who are not under financial obligation to PTT, to sign lengthy contracts, with huge penalty clauses for under-target sales and suspected purchases of petroleum products from other sources. They are dangling the carrot, offering new style pumps and complete re-fit for free if you sign a twenty year contract, with a target sales per month.

On top of that, if you do not allow PTT to directly monitor your sales, via instant pump/sales tally through a broadband connection, the margin they are allowing a reseller to make, after transport costs, is around 35 satang per litre (on diesel fuel). You have to sell 100 litres to make 1 litre from which you then pay all the operating costs of your service station. They want all stations to do this to make sure they are not buying from other sources. If you toe the line (in PTT Sales eyes), your margin goes up dramatically.

Daily purchase quotas are regurarely imposed, that are not at all aggreeable with most pumps buy/sell ratios and delivery options. It is very un-economical to only order half full trucks. These quotas are given to PTT stations that are suspected of buying slightly cheaper benzene products from Shell or other sources, or selling PTT's slightly cheaper diesel products to other private stations or "jobbers" (bulk buying syndicates). Another side of the quotas is PTT is trying to force the "gasahol" products on the market, even though most motorists don't want it. There is currently a huge ethanol glut in Thailand.

PTT won't be happy until there is only one brand in Thailand, run the way they want it run, with individual petrol stations becoming glorified cashiers making 40,000B per month for tens of millions of baht investment and having all the worry of the day to day running, staffing etc.

Soundman.

This just sounds like PTT are copying the highly successful (for an elite few) agribusiness model, perfected by CP, for pig, chicken, prawn, and some other livestock farmers over the past two decades. They are agri-vultures, who made a killing at the expense of the small farmers of Thailand, just as PTT is now doing with the smaller fuel station operators. Gone are the days when one didn't have to worry about running out of fuel in Thailand, as there was sure to be a fuel station just round the corner. The number of abandoned stations in Isaan was getting ridiculous in the last 2-3 years. :o

How independent is Bangjak of PTT, or is it now fully owned/operated by this monopolist? Just kind of curious, as I always preferred to fill up at their pumps than PTT stations, although I have to admit being attracted by those Amazon coffee shops on occasion. I can foresee the day, when there is no competition at all for PTT in Thailand, unless a govt gets in that is brave enough to break up their monopoly position. Unlikely. :D

How independent is Bangjak of PTT, or is it now fully owned/operated by this monopolist? Just kind of curious, as I always preferred to fill up at their pumps than PTT stations, although I have to admit being attracted by those Amazon coffee shops on occasion. I can foresee the day, when there is no competition at all for PTT in Thailand, unless a govt gets in that is brave enough to break up their monopoly position. Unlikely. :o

PTT owns 35% of Bangchak (currently) according to Bangchak's website