Govt Begins Enforcing Revised Entertainment Venue

george

MOI begins enforcing revised entertainment venue laws

Most everyone still confused about zoning and closing times

PATTAYA: -- The Ministry of Interior on Oct. 26 began nationwide enforcement of its revised entertainment laws. In Pattaya, the initial reactions were quiet, most likely due to wide spread confusion over which category individual entertainment venues fall into. Most venues, however, are now required to close at 1 a.m. instead of 2 a.m., as they have been doing since the Ministry of Interior passed its revised statutes back on January 13 this year.

This sticker being handed out by the Ministry of Interior reads, “Going home before 1 a.m. reduces crime”. The upper left corner translates to, “The Interior Ministry cares for you,” and in the lower right it is written, “Thais unite in heart and body to organize social order.”

The new entertainment laws were made official on September 1, but the initial stage of enforcement has just begun. Preecha Kamolbutr, Chonburi deputy governor, acting on orders from Governor Pisit Ketphasook, handed down the policies to provincial, Banglamung and Pattaya government department heads on Tuesday morning, October 26.

Over 100 people, including community and business leaders attended the meeting at city hall on Tuesday.

The new regulations imposed by the Interior Ministry requires all entertainment venues inside Pattaya’s entertainment zone to close no later than 1 a.m. All venues outside the zone must close no later than midnight, although some types of venues outside the zone need to close earlier, such as massage parlors.

Chawalit Saengutai, Senior Banglamung District Clerk and acting district chief said, “... The law came into effect on September 1, and we shall enforce it accordingly.”

Mayor Niran Wattanasartsathorn seemed sympathetic; “The law will definitely damage Pattaya’s entertainment industry, and we (the city) are not sleeping on the issue. We will petition the Interior Ministry and the Tourism and Sport Ministry to allow Pattaya businesses to legally operate outside the rest of the country, and ask them to present our case to the prime minister.”

However, the mayor followed this with a caveat; “Since the law has been placed into effect, the populace must follow it to the letter.”

Pol. Col. Somnuk Changate, Pattaya police superintendent added, “My duty is to follow the law, as I have always done, and I will enforce it. This will not please many business operators but if I do not do my duty then I am negligent. I also intend to keep them informed through a public relations campaign and hand them documents from the Banglamung office.”

Chanyuth Hengtrakul, advisor to the Tourism and Sports ministry commented, “Business operators will face difficulties, but in the meantime they must follow the law. I urge everyone to sign a petition, which can be done at the Thai Rak Thai Office, Sukhumvit Road, Central Pattaya (near the highway police). Provincial administrators will then take the next step to resolve the matter.”

--Pattaya Mail 2004-10-29