Brand New Thai Langauge Test For Foreigners

Gaccha

Apologies if this is old news, but I have just found out that the Thai government has launched a new exam for foreigners to test their Thai language ability :D . It has 6 levels. The hardest level is level 6. Level 3 is equivalent to the P6 exam, which we are all probably aware of. The Level 6 is equivalent to University entrance standard. :D

It is 36% listening test, with the remainder writing/grammar. Apparently it is based on the IELTS exam.

And can anyone confirm what I have said and add further details? :o

It is only possible once a year (so if you fail you'll have to wait a year before you get a second chance, so pick the level you can definitely pass and get a high mark). It is scheduled this year for November.

Currently I have no further information but give me a few days and I will try to get a website off those in the know. Before: :o

As for the earlier replies, the test is to see how good your Thai is. You might want to do this for fun, or to prove you can study in the Thai language at University, or for certain jobs such as a reporter, banker, diplomat. I am soprry if this sounds patronising :D -- it is possible I am missing the point of the earlier replies. Why climb a mountain? Why go to the moon? Not because it is easy but because it is hard: master Thai and then prove your level. Simple, really :D .

Okay, I have a little more information. The Thai government, rather surprisingly :o , has failed to update its website for this new test, but here is the website address for when they get around to it, apparently in the next couple of months. It's all in Thai, so it will be even more language practice for you all... :D

http://bet.bopp.go.th/

...and this is what you have been waiting for. The excitement is palpable. :D

post-60541-1214498156_thumb.jpg

post-60541-1214498176_thumb.jpg

post-60541-1214498202_thumb.jpg

post-60541-1214498219_thumb.jpg

Think that it is. Now we just need someone of a higher level and greater wisdom to paraphrase the contents, elucidate their thoughts, challenge our misconceptions, and then we can all head to bed in peace. :D

...oh, and just to add to the excitement, some of the pages have been scanned upside down. :o

็Here is page 1. Sorry for my English.

"Test of the level of knowledge of and the ability to use Thai language"

Today there are language tests for several languages that test the knowledge of and ability to use a language (competency test). There are several language institutes, for instance the institute of international education (IIE). This institute organises the TOEFL exam which has the objective to test the knowledge of English language of the students or people that need to study on or follow different courses in an institute in the UK, the united states and Canada or other countries. The Test Of English for International Communication (TOEIC) is a test for entering a job or for changing position/level within several companies/businesses, for instance the flying/airline business, the hotel business, or the factories/industries that join with international businesses. The International English Language Testing system (IELTS) has the objective to tests students that want to study on or follow different courses in Australia.

What concerns the "test of the level of knowledge of and the ability to use Thai language", this is a test of the knowledge of and the ability to use the language (competency test) which will proceed in the same way as the organisation of TOEFL, TOIEC and IELTS. It's a test of the level of knowledge of and the ability to use the language compared to the owners of the language. This test is suitable for all kinds of foreigners. They can use it to study on or follow different courses in Thailand or they can use it within their job or business or for living in Thailand.

Concerning the rules and structure of the "test of knowledge of and the ability to use Thai language", the committee will carry on the same way as with the rules and the structure of the organisation of TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC where multiple choice questions are used and where the examination is split into 4 groups: listening, reading, writing and speaking (via the way of an interview).

So the "test of the level of knowledge of and the ability to use Thai language" is splits into:

- listening and reading with multiple choice questions

- writing about a subject?????, divided in general writing and academical writing

- listening, which is an interview

Here is page 2:

1. The concept consists of 3 levels: beginners level (1 and 2), intermediate level (3 and 4), advanced level (5 and 6)

knowledge of and ability to use Thai language:

level 1 - starters level

People with this level can't read or write Thai language to communicate.

level 2 - P.3

People with this level can read and write general, easy normal stories only.

level 3 - P.6

People with this level can use the middle/average language. They can read and have a detailed understanding about certain parts. They can understand and use the the principles of the language for communicating on a level that is sufficient.

level 4 - M.3

People with this level have a good level of knowledge of and ability to use Thai language. But there are still shortcomings or errors in some parts of the their language

level 5 - M.6

People with this level have a very good level of knowledge of and ability to use Thai language which they can use to study on or which they can use in their job.

level 6 - university

People with this level use the principles of Thai language correctly and they communicate correctly and very appropriately. They have a very good understanding of Thai language comparable to the owners of the language.

2. The "test of the knowledge of and the ability to use Thai language" is split into 4 sections:

Section 1: Listening comprehension

This is is a listening test with 36 multiple choice questions to be answered within 40 minutes.

Section 2: Reading comprehension

This is a reading test with multiple choice questions. It's divided into 2 parts: general reading and academic reading. There are 48 questions to be answered within 50 minutes.

Edited by kriswillems

The test sounds pretty pointless, they already have the P6 exam but it doesn't really help with much these days. Hopefully if it does come about (although the existence of this document IMO in no way confirms that such an exam will ever exist), it will be used to allow those of us who have worked hard towards learning the language, do things with it. Again, can't see that actually happening, it's not going to change the labour laws and quite frankly, with regards to education, if a school wants your money, you're in.

What would be nice though is if schools that teach the Thai language adapted their courses to fit such an exam, as there is a serious lack of any study opportunities past P6 at the moment.

็Here is page 3:

Section 3: Writing

This section is divided into 2 parts: general writing and academic writing. For each part one story has to be written. Both stories have to be written within 50 minutes.

Section 4: Speaking

This is tested by speaking about 5 to 10 minutes.

The total test time is 2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) divided as follows:

section 1: listening: 36 question (40): 40 minutes

section 2: reading, divided in general reading and academic reading: 48 questions, 50 minutes

section 3: writing, divided in general writing and academic writing: 2 stories/ topics: general writing 15 minutes, academic writing 35 minutes

section 4: speaking, by using an interview, 5 to 10 minutes

In total 4 skills: total testing time 150 minutes (2 hours 30 minutes)

3. Giving a score

The score will depend on the level of knowledge and the ability to use Thai language in all 4 skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. The people that enter the exam evidently have to show their ability or skills. Per skill there will be given 100 points. All scores will be added and will result in the level 1to 6.

knowledge of and ability to use Thai language:

level 1

People with this level can't read or write Thai language to communicate.

level 2

People with this level can read and write general, easy normal stories only.

Page 4 doesn't contain any new information, it's just a copy of information on other pages.

My impression is that this document is just a draft. The same information is repeated many times. I only see 4 differences with the old test:

- there's no dictation exercise

- you've to write 2 stories instead of 1

- reading is divided into 2 parts: academic reading and general reading

- your score will be translated into a level instead of a percentage.

Edited by kriswillems

• 3 weeks later...

Raising the standard of the Thai language

Daily Xpress

Published on July 5, 2008

Thai and other local languages will be thoroughly studied, standardised and officially classified for the first time under a new Royal Institute project.

With help from international organisations, the Thai language will be studied internationally, and a standardised proficiency test like a Toefl will be designed for foreign speakers wishing to master it.

The project will require 12th-graders to learn three languages. Institute secretary-general Jintana Phanfak expects the project and proficiency test to be included in the Constitution as a must for educational reform.

Unesco, Unicef, Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organisation, SIL International and the Culture Ministry are participating.

Proficiency test

Royal scholars with expertise in Thai are designing the proficiency test with help from the National Institute of Educational Testing Services. Selected language-teachers and students will evaluate the test.

Language studies are classified in seven groups, based on priority:

• Thai and local dialects for Thai nationals
  • Local languages for indigenous people like Malay, Pattani and Khmer
  • Foreign languages for business, such as English, Chinese and Japanese
  • Thai made easy for expatriates
  • Sign language and Braille for the hearing- and visually impaired
  • Urgent policies on rare and near-extinct languages
  • National policies for translation, general interpretation and interpretation of different sign languages.

Professor Joe Lo Bianco, an Australian-based linguist, says local languages in each country are more important even than national languages and that indigenous people must have a basic right to learn their own languages as a priority.

Well, I am surprised. It is actually here.

2 documents have now been uploaded to the website http://bet.obec.go.th one is the handbook for the new test in place of the P6 exam and one is details on how to register. You'll be able to register online (between the 1st and 20th of October) and pay via bank transfer the test is on Saturday the 29th of November.

I spoke to one of my old teachers at UTL and she was already aware of it so presumably this is what they are preparing their students for this year. I'm going to talk to them on Monday as I'm quite interested how they will be going about this. Normally, of course, they are preparing people for the P6 exam in particular, but this year I guess it will have to be slightly different.

I think I might give it ago although I won't be able to attend any particular course. Hopefully after the test some of the schools will start adjusting their materials to fit this type of test rather than sticking to the more traditional Thai kids materials they normally like to use.

Edited by withnail

• 7 months later...
If you pass any of these tests can they help with getting a Thai passport?

No. The diploma is just a paper and will not give you special privileges.

However, I think if you really want to get a Thai passport, that means Thai nationality, you should be able to speak Thai. This is just one of a huge number of requirements to get Thai nationality.

Edited by kriswillems