My Maid...the Thief

DLock

This is my 2nd posting searching for a maid and gardener couple to live on site in CM.

The first couple were good for about 1 year, then started getting lazy and complacent. But the straw that broke the camels back is that the gardener forgot I was flying home from Bangkok and sent his wife (maid) back to their home in Lampang, then took my truck and came home after 3am (I had fallen asleep waiting) and then denied that he took the truck at all. Turns out he was out drinking and chasing skirt and had never told his wife the truth.

The most recent couple left yesterday. I had suspected the theft of small amounts of money and false claims for petrol or laundry, so I counted and videod me putting money in my pants and putting them in the laundry basket - over 2 weeks. Each time, the maid took between 100 and 200 baht. She always handed the money to my wife and we waited a few days for her to come clean and then asked her if she was sure that was all the money that was there. "yes" she replied. Then we showed her the video and she started to cry and said sorry. Too late. I'm sure this had been going on for months.

I also suspected her husband of theiving tools and things he thought I wouldn't miss. Sure enough, when I checked, missing was a big water pump that I had replaced with a more suitable pressure pump. When I asked him where it was, he said under the house. So we both went to look and it wasnt. I asked him again, and he said he'd return it tomorrow and he did. Stole it from under my nose.

I did not make police reports, instead made them quit immediately and sign away 3 months salary. I did however contact their guarantor, who did not say much.

Anyway, they are gone now and I need a new maid and gardener. Great conditions and salary.

On the off chance anyone knows of a couple looking for live in jobs, PM me. I'd sure appreciate it.

Otherwise...even if you think you can trust your staff....be careful.

Where are you?

Conditions of employment?

Salary? Days off?

Requirement to speak English?

Any other details?

If you are unhappy to post answers here, please PM me. My maid says she may well have a couple for you.

The most recent couple left yesterday. I had suspected the theft of small amounts of money and false claims for petrol or laundry, so I counted and videod me putting money in my pants and putting them in the laundry basket - over 2 weeks. Each time, the maid took between 100 and 200 baht. She always handed the money to my wife and we waited a few days for her to come clean and then asked her if she was sure that was all the money that was there. "yes" she replied. Then we showed her the video and she started to cry and said sorry. Too late. I'm sure this had been going on for months.

Staff should not steal from their employer - no metter how poor they are - but purposely dangling money in front of their noses to set them up and lure them into taking it just isn't cricket! :o

Staff should not steal from their employer - no metter how poor they are - but purposely dangling money in front of their noses to set them up and lure them into taking it just isn't cricket! :o

UG, agreed, but what I did was consistent with the way I have always done things. I often leave money in my pockets and the Maid has a bowl she is to place any money, business cards, recipts into. Most times I remember to take stuff out, but sometimes after travel, I forget. I did not "dangle" or lure them into something that was any different from any other day - we are not talking big money here - between 400 - 620 baht left in my pants each time.

The pump was just another "thing" that while it had little value to me, if he had asked, I probably would have given it to him. But he stole it, then lied, then returned it. Unacceptable. He had also "forgotten" to return 400 baht last month, and when I pushed him to where my change was, he said he bought sunglasses...so that was taken from his salary. He clearly didnt learn.

All I did was video the amount I left in my pocket and that I placed the pants in the laundry basket. I wanted to leave no room for her to say that there was less money than there actually was. Didn't want a "he says, she says" and the situation becoming difficult.

I think what I did was acceptable and justified and the end justified the means.

What would you have suggested I had done different?

Not say anything. Just dismiss. After being sure you have your keys etc. And be a gentleman, pay for 2 or three weeks extra.

Why would I do that?

Pay them the legal 3 months salary for stealing my things?

Interesting logic.

I paid them out till the end of the month and they were out that day. Consider them lucky.

Without a video of her taking the money you really haven't proved anything. What you have proof of is that you put a certain amount of money in your pocket, but no evidence of who took it. She did confess but if you were to take this to court the video wouldn't prove much.

The only thing that I thought was unfair was putting money in your pockets to tempt (in my opinion) them. To them, it wasn't important enough to you to even remove it, so what is 100 baht to someone so rich?

I think that someone could be honest enough not to steal it normally, but when it is right there, forgotten and easy, they might take a step that they normally would not. I think that many people are basically honest, but have a limit to how much temptation they can take.

Only my opinion. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I agree with Ulysses. Stealing is wrong. But when one regularly (carelessly) leaves money in the pockets, it would seem to me that the wash lady could easily get the impression that money in such "small" amounts doesn't matter much to the owner of the pockets. You'd never miss a few hundred baht now and again. Such could be her thinking.

Knowing that this presents a temptation and continuing to allow it to happen--even purposefully setting her up--is only asking for trouble. A simple solution to prevent this kind of incident in the future may be to make sure your pockets are empty before laundry day.

Without a video of her taking the money you really haven't proved anything. What you have proof of is that you put a certain amount of money in your pocket, but no evidence of who took it. She did confess but if you were to take this to court the video wouldn't prove much.

Well at the end of the day the video that was made proves zilch anyway because what's to say that the money was not removed from the pockets by the same person doing the filming, immediately after the camera was turned off?

The vid serves only to confirm the OP's suspicions for his own satisfaction, which I guess was its intention so it was successful from that perspective.

UG, agreed, but what I did was consistent with the way I have always done things. I often leave money in my pockets and the Maid has a bowl she is to place any money, business cards, recipts into. Most times I remember to take stuff out, but sometimes after travel, I forget. I did not "dangle" or lure them into something that was any different from any other day - we are not talking big money here - between 400 - 620 baht left in my pants each time.

The pump was just another "thing" that while it had little value to me, if he had asked, I probably would have given it to him. But he stole it, then lied, then returned it. Unacceptable. He had also "forgotten" to return 400 baht last month, and when I pushed him to where my change was, he said he bought sunglasses...so that was taken from his salary. He clearly didnt learn.

All I did was video the amount I left in my pocket and that I placed the pants in the laundry basket. I wanted to leave no room for her to say that there was less money than there actually was. Didn't want a "he says, she says" and the situation becoming difficult.

I think what I did was acceptable and justified and the end justified the means.

You did nothing wrong.

Theft is theft. A thief is a thief.

No matter how big or small.

They were intrusted to work inside your house.

They were paid a salary.

They abused that trust.

You did right, even if "testing" that trust. Which they failed.

How can you "carlessly" leave things inside your pants pockets inside your own house?

Tempted? Not. A thief, plain and simple.

You did nothing wrong.

Theft is theft. A thief is a thief.

No matter how big or small.

They were intrusted to work inside your house.

They were paid a salary.

They abused that trust.

You did right, even if "testing" that trust. Which they failed.

How can you "carlessly" leave things inside your pants pockets inside your own house?

Tempted? Not. A thief, plain and simple.

Some people think that taking a pen or pencil home from work is not 'stealing.' It's acceptable.

Now, multiply that number of people by the number of pens and pencils, multiply that by the cost of all those tools, and decide how YOU (that's the generic 'you,' not you, John,) would feel if someone took that much money from you without asking. Would YOU (again, the generic 'you,' ) call that stealing?

How about a packet of salt from the take out restaurant?

What about a towel from a hotel? (dam_n hotel people put 'em right there in front of us just to tempt us!)

An ash tray from a vacation location?

Theft is theft.

I guess I 'almost' side with Mr. Rick in 'Casablanca.) "I don't mind a crook. I just don't like a petty one." :o

I think that with your experience many would have done exactly as you did.

Congratulations for uncovering their little schemes and getting rid of them.

I would also make it well known to all and sundry if ever asked what sort of people they are. :D

I agree with Ulysses. Stealing is wrong. But when one regularly (carelessly) leaves money in the pockets, it would seem to me that the wash lady could easily get the impression that money in such "small" amounts doesn't matter much to the owner of the pockets. You'd never miss a few hundred baht now and again. Such could be her thinking.

Knowing that this presents a temptation and continuing to allow it to happen--even purposefully setting her up--is only asking for trouble. A simple solution to prevent this kind of incident in the future may be to make sure your pockets are empty before laundry day.

I don't see that as a solution. The folk in question were common garden variety thieves "nothing more nor less"

If they didn't steal money it would have been something else i.e. the water pump.

But will they (the perp's) learn ?? "unlikely" they will just try to become a little smarter :o

Edited by john b good

I agree with the sentiment some of you have expressed.

That my staff do consider me rich by their standards and that I would not miss 100baht, or change from paying a bill, or an old water pump.

But I cannot tolerate stealing or lying by my staff. It wasn't about 100 baht. It was about the fact that they thought they could steal from me.

My staff are well paid, have their own small private house, and had a good job. When I initially searched for them, I interviewed about 4 couples, and these staff were construction workers, living a pretty crappy existence for less money and living in a tin shed. They seemed very nice, and I had made the assumption that they would value this new opportunity.

Was it their background that made them steal? Will other staff from that kind of background be as "opportunistic"? Is my percieved wealth always going to present the same outcome?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Not say anything. Just dismiss. After being sure you have your keys etc. And be a gentleman, pay for 2 or three weeks extra.

Why would I do that?

Pay them the legal 3 months salary for stealing my things? Interesting logic.
...as soon as you discover they steal from you, don't say anything, dismiss and pay. Give some excuse like, "we can do it ourselves from here".
For them no loss of face ?!

Valuable logic from "Fiscalist".

Especially his comment about saving face.

In Thailand, everything is about face, in some way or other.

Worthwhile to consider it carefully.

Why would you offer severence pay?

To protect yourself from ill-will among the locals, and to burnish your reputation as a man with good heart ("jai-dee").

Here in Thailand, far better to have many friends than one enemy.

To suddenly fire your staff, without pay, puts severe strain on them.

All their social network will come to their aid with food and loans of money, until they find new jobs.

Everyone will know the reason for the problem -- and that reason is you.

Plus, the next staff you hire will certainly know everything about you from the gossip.

Any comments from us Westerners about "theft is theft" ignore the strong, cultural trait, of sharing among Thais.

In addition, in Thai society, the rich person "takes care" of the poor within his extended family.

If you employ someone, they come within your extended family.

We have little concept of that in the West, but the Thais put high value on it.

When they take something -- as "DLock" described -- it is not a sin, just their way of letting you be generous to them, without bothering you by asking for every little thing.

Among my staff, I expect these sorts of things to happen, and I try to understand them, as they try to understand me.

They look to see what I value highly, and never touch those items.

For example, they would never, ever, take my computer, my mobile phone, or any CDs.

But they would, and have, remove something small from the kitchen, like taking home plastic food trays.

And, of course, they help themselves to any food within reach, and take plenty home for their own family and neighbors.

They will also take minor items of low value, if I have many, like socks.

Most times they return change from small purchases, but sometimes they don't.

It's all part of the package of living here.

Why would I do that?

Pay them the legal 3 months salary for stealing my things? Interesting logic.
...as soon as you discover they steal from you, don't say anything, dismiss and pay. Give some excuse like, "we can do it ourselves from here".
For them no loss of face ?!

Valuable logic from "Fiscalist".

To protect yourself from ill-will among the locals, and to burnish your reputation as a man with good heart ("jai-dee").

All their social network will come to their aid with food and loans of money, until they find new jobs.

Plus, the next staff you hire will certainly know everything about you from the gossip.

Any comments from us Westerners about "theft is theft" ignore the strong, cultural trait, of sharing among Thais.

In addition, in Thai society, the rich person "takes care" of the poor within his extended family.

When they take something -- as "DLock" described -- it is not a sin, just their way of letting you be generous to them, without bothering you by asking for every little thing.

Among my staff, I expect these sorts of things to happen, and I try to understand them, as they try to understand me.

For example, they would never, ever, take my computer, my mobile phone, or any CDs.

But they would, and have, remove something small from the kitchen, like taking home plastic food trays.

And, of course, they help themselves to any food within reach, and take plenty home for their own family and neighbors.

It's all part of the package of living here.

There comes a point at which using the 'face' card and the cultural trait excuse just doesn't wash. Just because it's an inherent aspect of a country's culture, does not make it right (and just check the history books to see how since time began entire nations have been wrong about things). Stealing is stealing, period and as another poster pointed out it doesn't matter how small it is, it's the principle of the matter. That you let your staff steal socks and other small sundry items does not make you a generous benefactor wisely playing the rules of the complicated game that is Thai etiquette, but rather a push-over who your staff probably have a smile and wink about behind your back. So D-lock's staff will go running back to their community with their tails between their legs, crying unfair treatment and making him look like the big bad wolf in the situation. Well, if that's the case, so be it I'd say, as morality will never be allowed to gain the upper hand in a society that's afeared of doing the right thing lest it cause another to lose face.

Two people took things that were not theirs to take, you can dress it up all you like and use expressions such as "it's just their way of letting you be generous to them" and "It's all part of the package of living here", but that doesn't alter the fact that something both immoral and illegal transpired.

Wise words Oneman, and I agree with your sentiment.

For the record, I gave my staff the opportunity to resign (which they did) and I paid them 2 weeks extra. If I had terminated them, I would have had to pay the 3 months salary by law and I was not prepared to reward thier actions. They were able to leave with "face" intact back to Lampang.

Part of the problem was my own doing. We did make them part of the extended family. They often ate with us, we often bought them food, took them to the markets, gave them clothes and things we no longer needed (they got 6,000 baht for 2 old air conditioners I didnt think were worth anything), extended holidays (10 days at Songkran) and good bonuses and had a very good life compared to where they had come from. I would have expected that they would respect what we gave them to be honest and work hard. They were paid 7,000 baht each per month along with a house, all utilities and a motorbike.

They saw we had more than plenty and felt it ok to take some of that. I can only excuse Thai culture to a point, and unfortunately they crossed the line. I caught them both out.

Will I change the way I behave with the next staff? Maybe. Will I be more upfront what I expect and the consequences of dishonesty? Probably.

BTW, I have other staff who are the pinnacle of hard work and honesty and are duly looked after and have a job for as long as the want to work here.

But I appreciate you taking the time to give me your insight Oneman, and it was not wasted on me.

'Valuable logic from "Fiscalist".

It's all part of the package of living here.'

This comment would have to be the biggest load of <deleted> that I have ever heard. My Thai wife and I agree - its out and out stealing......full stop! We would not expect anyone that was in our employ, Thai or otherwise to do the things that DLock has said that occurred and both of us fully support his actions as far as this is concerned.

And the cr@p about the temptation of stuff lying around just might make one do things that they wouldn't do is exactly what I said........cr@p. There is nothing wrong with integrity testing (at which they failed miserably btw). I think it would be better to find out now than in say, one or two years and many thousand baht and itemslater. Good ridence!

So a many pays 14,000 + free rent and transportation and is expected to accept theft? Please I know plenty of Thai's working harder jobs, more hours for less money AND they have to pay rent on top of it all.

Imho you can pull the face BS when you work for a Thai employer, but when you work for a Farang I think it's acceptable to adhere to Farang guidelines.

My wife had accidentally sent my wallet with 3 credit cards and 6000+ baht to the laundry. I got back everything when we returned and they rushed out to meet us and say we forgot it. I didn't even know these people, I would not have been able to prove any theft and yet they were not "tempted" to take a little extra something. If they can be honest, why can't we expect the same from people who we ACCEPT INTO OUR HOMES.

What happens when a local gang or other thieves offer your maids 20,000 baht for a house key? If they are tempted for 100 I wouldn't feel safe, especially with theft on the rise.

The thieves are fortunate that the OP is a farang and not Thai-Chinese.

If they were, they would have taken the opportunity to enslave the 4 of them as indentured serfs. I can't really understand the posters who claim the OP was not lenient. Do you really think a Thai employer would have handed over months of severance pay with a "mai pen rai". If you do, you are very deluded. This is a dog eat dog society on many levels.

My staff are well paid, have their own small private house, and had a good job. When I initially searched for them, I interviewed about 4 couples, and these staff were construction workers, living a pretty crappy existence for less money and living in a tin shed. They seemed very nice, and I had made the assumption that they would value this new opportunity.

Was it their background that made them steal? Will other staff from that kind of background be as "opportunistic"? Is my percieved wealth always going to present the same outcome?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Learn from the locals.

Thai employers in your position would have a multitude of cultural prompts to ensure their authority was unquestioned and unchallenged. These range from the obligatory wai from the maid to her employer to the choice of pronouns used in every sentence. They continually reinforce the authority of the employer. There are so many, they are omnipresent. The employer gets air-con, the staff have fans. The employer eats from a table, the maid eats on the floor. etc, etc,

I remember talking to an HR manager (Thai) who said the production manager (English) was acting very foolishly by allowing his driver to lie on the sofa in the production manager's condo supping his beer. He said by spoiling him like that he would lose his authority and spoil the driver. The production manager reckoned he would get a better performance out of his driver. The HR manager was absolutely certain the opposite would happen. I tend to go with the HR manager who has years of experience in dealing with Thai workers.

The other factor is fear. Thais often lack self-discipline. The glue that holds society together often has fear as one of its major components. Working-class Thais who step out of line by, say, stealing know that the legal system here is harsh and unforgiving and offers them little protection. It could be wise to show your connections to senior Thais to gain more respect (and fear) from your staff.

Just an idea.

I just let my Thai wife organize the maid and the casual staff like gardeners.

She knows more about Thais than I ever will.

The maid has asked me several times for a packet of sweet biscuits that have been lying around for at least a year and I always tell her to ask xxxx. She never has and the bikkies are still there.

However, she does occasionally give her little boy a small packet of Saltine crackers out of my box, whether I'm there or not. Goes to show she knows who the boss is.

With out being offensive I suspect that one of the reasons DLock is posting this is to let us all know that he takes no sh!t from anyone.

But he's the one doing his own washing up at the moment.

I strongly support Oneman, Fiscalist,UG and Wadsy’s views

1. Leaving money lying around is an unjust temptation in anybodies language.

2. As soon as you were sure in your own mind who the culprits were you were justified in dismissing them – but remain on good terms.

3. There is not a person on this earth that at some stage in their life has not taken something that did not belong to them.

...and perhaps that is part of the problem.

People are frightened of confrontation or offending Thais so they do nothing except pay them some money, remain on good terms, thank them and move on.

I find that particularly weak.

The Thai has no idea why they were let go, but they think that stealing is ok. They got away with it and they even got paid out. What could be better? They tell their friends and they move on to the next trusting farang and the cycle starts again.

Defending thieves is just wrong.

For the record, I gave my staff the opportunity to resign (which they did) and I paid them 2 weeks extra. If I had terminated them, I would have had to pay the 3 months salary by law and I was not prepared to reward thier actions. They were able to leave with "face" intact back to Lampang

It has been a few years, but as I recall, someone must work for at least 9 months before they can get 1 month? extra, for being laid-off, without cause. Any cause to fire someone means they don't get ANY extra money from you. Also, unless you are paying tax on her to the government, she is not a 'legal employee'. Like I said, it has been a few years, but that is the way it used to be here, as I recall

In my humble opinion, you are incorrect. They are legal and the amount of income is too low to pay taxes. So there is no need to report this to revenue.

In fact, you may be correct, as I said, 'maybe' :o

But I still think that you must pay a social security tax on them to be legal..

I will look into that and keep you informed, but I think there is no social security tax in Thailand simple because there are also no benefits or allowances.

Educate yourself is a good idea. In fact, there is Social Security in Thailand. One of the benefits is free medical care...I know because I have used it before, and I have been an employer and paid it to the government.

SOCIAL SECURITY:

The objective of the fund is to support employees who suffer from accident, illness, disability or death, not related to work. As of 2004 all Thai Companies must register for Social Welfare tax on all employees including the foreigners who hold work permit. failure will mean loss of work permit & or fine.You must pay 5% tax on employees wages each month & 5% government fee. eg Say you earn 10,000 baht a month =5% twice. Then you have one employee on say 6000 baht & then 2 others on 5000 baht again taxed at 6% = 1560 baht to pay each month.Social Security Fund. Employers, employees and the government must contribute an equal monthly sum to the Social Security Fund at the rate of 5% on employment income. The maximum wage for computing the contribution is Bht15,000 per month. Employer and employee contributions must be remitted to the Fund by the employer within 15 days of the following month.

Edited by Ajarn

I strongly support Oneman, Fiscalist,UG and Wadsy's views

1. Leaving money lying around is an unjust temptation in anybodies language.

I leave money laying around inside my house, not in big amounts, but pocket change. I also leave expensive sunglasses, iPod, watch, vehicle keys, food, and other such items laying in thier place.

If my maid thinks these are for her/his taking...

They have serious problems, one is with me because then I will consider them a criminal.

I'm sorry, but inside my house...I cannot agree with this statement.

That is common theft, plain and simple....not temptation.