Days Out For A 2 Year Old Boy In C.m.

quadisking

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody had any ideas for good places to take a 2 year old boy to in Chiangmai or the surrounding areas??

We sometimes take him to Huay Thung Thao or the park, once took him to the zoo but he wasn't interested. Other than that, can't think of anywhere else suitable :o .

Sensible suggestions please :D .

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody had any ideas for good places to take a 2 year old boy to in Chiangmai or the surrounding areas??

We sometimes take him to Huay Thung Thao or the park, once took him to the zoo but he wasn't interested. Other than that, can't think of anywhere else suitable :o .

Sensible suggestions please :D .

I have a one year old and she loved the night safari. There is a lot of negative talk about this park but its mostly because of the different pricing for Farangs and for Thais. This is a very beautiful place to go and when we went, the kids got to feed the tigers, pet and ride on a miniature pony, and feed the ducks and a few other animals. If its warm enough there is a fountain that comes up from the ground that kids can play in. (so bring a change of clothes) A very good water and light show in the middle of the lake. (sounds lame but isn't Spielbergs company designed it) This place has taken a lot of bad raps because of the things they did when they opened the place, but my daughter loves the place. Go during the day and the price is 100 baht for adult farangs and 50 baht for adult Thais. Kids under a certain age are free.

This place is Beautiful...hard to believe its here in Chiang Mai. If you haven't gone, its worth checking out . You will be surprised.

Best time to go is about 3:30-4:00 and better and if its a bit over cast so you avoid the heat. Stay for at least 3 hours for the water show. Bring a stroller as you will do some walking and if your little one gets tired they can get a ride. This place is NOTHING like the zoo!!!

Edited by swain

I agree with the Night Safari. I have a two year old boy and we go to the Night Safari at least once a month (Saturday mornings - 50 baht per adult, kids free). We usually have the place to ourselves. There's a litle park just outside the gates where we often let him play afterwards too.

A few other suggestions:

1. Educan on Nimmenhemin. It's across from Mike's burgers and a great place on rainy days.

2. Laguna swimming pool or Mae Rim Whale park swimming pool. They both have shallow pools where he can play and we usually run into other kids the same age.

3. The aquarium in Airport Plaza - he loves it.

4. Carrefour play centre. He usually gets sick afterwards but we do take him there once in a while.

5. 700 years or the municipal park - both have great areas for kids to play.

The negative talk about the Night Safari isn't about the pricing. I, for instance, don't even know what it is. The negative talk concerns their poor care of the animals at the park. Last year the count was well over a hundred deaths of animals in their care, and I can only assume it's climbed considerably since, as the whole point of the park was to bleed off money from it's construction which has long since been completed.

Chiang Mai night Safai is well worth a visit. I had not gone until last week, due to all the negative feedback I had heard. When I chllenged most of the negative people I knew, it turned out they had never even been. I just wish I had suggested it to visitors I had earlier in the year. Its great for children! My 1 year old loved it.

As to price, residents get Thai prices, so 250 Baht for the best part of 4 hours evening entertainment is very good value, and cheaper than CM zoo (assume monorail ride and panda).

The negative talk about the Night Safari isn't about the pricing. I, for instance, don't even know what it is. The negative talk concerns their poor care of the animals at the park. Last year the count was well over a hundred deaths of animals in their care, and I can only assume it's climbed considerably since, as the whole point of the park was to bleed off money from it's construction which has long since been completed.

Seemed very well maintained when I went there but I dont know anything about animal care maybe this is the case with them as well. I am not sure but what is normal for zoos and places like this. How many deaths a year is normal? Where do you get your information?

Thanks very much for all the info. I'll check them all out.

We haven't been to the night safari yet so we will definitely pay a visit :o

Is Mae Rim Whale Park swimming pool in Mae Rim, or is it on the Mae Rim road??

How about elephantnaturepark.org/index.htm

WAY too expensive. This is priced for tourists who are into (and who can afford) en eco-tourism experience. They're not really set up for kids. (And then personally I think that animals the size of elephants shouldn't be anywhere near people and especially not kids.)

Anyway, some more ideas that don't cost a lot of money:

* The Tiger Restaurant in Mae Rim (no entrance fee, they charge just for food or drinks if you're eating there (and you should; it's nice food)

* OUTSIDE of the Night Safari where you can look at deer for free. :o

* Ob Khan ; Chiang Mai's best beach. (Not kidding) And it's free too, it's great for playing in the stream and playing with sand on the 'beach'. Don't go after heavy rain because the current will be too strong and the water murky.

* The Big C playground (The new Big C I think is bestest)

* Any swimming pool; buy those inflatable arm whatchamacallits so kids float on the surface rather than go down like bricks.

* Chiang Mai zoo; it's cheap and actually a very good zoo. Don't go when it's too hot/sunny.

* There's some very good nurseries/day care centers in Chiang Mai.. This is very fun for kids to go on some days, plus they learn useful stuff, play together, etc. And it teaches them some independence from parents, learn to interact with new people, etc. Overall I think it's very refreshing for a kid's development.

* My kid enjoyed the museum (the one at the Three King's monument).. God knows why but she did. :D

Finally.. I think parents on this forum could perhaps get together and organize something. Something outdoorsy that involves playing with other kids and running around. (And food & beer for the parents :D )

Finally (2) I wish this country had public sandboxes somewhere, and/or safe playgrounds.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the night safari on Sunday morning. It was excellent and it only cost 50 baht for me, 50 baht for my wife and my son went in for free. So nothing racist or weak and stupid there :o . The deer outside were wonderful.

We also went to Mae Rim Whale Park which was also very good, will go there again for sure.

Also been to Big C and Carrefour play areas, he loves the ball crawl!!

My son has also started going to Nuresery, just to give him a chance to mix and play with other kids, trying to keep it to just a few hours a day as he won't be 2 until next month, so still very young for 'school'.

Jefferson - great idea about parents getting together and organising a day out for the kids, I would be totally up for that idea (especially the beer part :D ). Where is 'Ob Khan', is it a real 'beach'? Sounds like a place which definitely needs checking out too.