Shampoo Scam

sceadugenga

A couple of weeks back the Mrs came home from the market with two twin packs of good quality shampoo. They consisted of a large and small bottle in plastic shrink wrap. She was pleased with the bargain at 100B a pack.

That night I was down there walking the dog and saw the guy selling it from a small stall and he evidently wasn't a local. Our cleaner was standing there looking wistfully at it obviously short of funds so I slipped her a 100B.

Last night I cracked a bottle and the contents obviously weren't what was advertised on the label. It was watery, smelled bad and barely lathered up. The cleaner says hers were the same. It may do for washing the car in a pinch.

Now I dare say that my Mrs will survive the loss but 100B is a lot of money to most of the villagers. If I see him again I'll be straight over to the police box and wake them up! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I buy good shampoos from supermarkets (most of the time in Tesco Lotus and BigC) when they have promotions. A few months ago I had a Pantene shampoo 400ml for only 88 Baht or so, production date Jan 2008. The current price is 124 Baht. The other time I had Pantene 175ml at 52 Baht Buy 1 Get 1 Free. Yesterday I bought Schwarzkopf Extra Care 200ml at 75 Baht.

• 3 weeks later...
That's the way to do it, I'm a great hunter of specials in supermarkets.

Unfortunately the Thais don't seem to do it as often as you see them overseas.

My mum-in-law and the entire village know the specials on at Tesco before I do, they filled me in on the Pantene at 74Bht special. There was a bun fight in front of the sugar stand at 10am for the 11Bht sugar... think you just aren't up early enough to shop when the locals do 10.01am. :o

Oz

• 4 months later...