Help! Retirement Visa Uncertainties

If this is the foreigner riding on a retirement extension of stay first the extension of stay is obtained - then the spouse can take that proof to a Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa for entry and 60 days later extend at Immigration.

I am concerned, as I have read on another website recently, that a foreign wife under 50 cannot get a visa which would avoid the necessity for border runs every 3 months.

That was the case for only a few days when a strict interpretation of laws was made - it was agreed to continue to allow the dependent for retirement. If in effect spouse would have to obtain there own retirement extension and if under age 50 would not have been able to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the middle of filling in a TM8 re-entry form. The last two sections say "I entered Thailand on..." and "I have been permitted to stay until...". Now I recently did a visa run to get an extension of stay on my OA retirement visa. Do I say I entered Thailand on the date of my visa run or do I put the date of my original entry?

Thanks

Dear lopbuir3: Please straighten me out on what reading this thread, difficult as it is, tells me.

Those who are living on a one year extension of a O visa based on retirement can get an extension of their their permitted to stay date by making a border run?????

If so, then when the one year extension of the O based on retirment expires, what are you on?

Do they actually extend your one year extension based on retirement at the border run so you don't have to go through all the extension requirements, like embasssy letters, by making a border run. I can't believe this conclusion as you would told me so when I was in Australia last when my extension expired and I had to go through the two step process to get the retirment extension again.

The OA visa is issued for retirement at a Consulate in your home country and provides a one year stay on entry. So if you obtain a one year multi entry OA you can leave and enter to obtain almost a second year of stay. It is not an extension of stay but a permitted to stay stamp from the OA visa.

After the first year validity of the OA visa any exit must have a re-entry permit and at the end of the last permitted to stay stamp a normal Immigration extension of stay will be required to stay here.

• 6 months later...

The 90 day address notification has a 7 day window fore and aft. What is the situation with the annual extension of stay where you have to report your income? I'm due to apply for my first one in July 2009. I'm talking about an OA Retirement visa here.

Thanks.

The 90 day address notification has a 7 day window fore and aft. What is the situation with the annual extension of stay where you have to report your income? I'm due to apply for my first one in July 2009. I'm talking about an OA Retirement visa here.

Thanks.

You can apply for a 12 month extension any time within the last 30 days of your current permision to stay. Maybe even earlier.

You can apply for a 12 month extension any time within the last 30 days of your current permision to stay. Maybe even earlier.

To be on the safe side how long should I allow for my (UK) embassy to provide a letter confirming income?