Best Bars To Play Pool In

Super Hans

So far I've been to Morning Night, New Wave, Gullivers, the first bar on the left on Soi Cowboy, Hillary's II (and the one opposite it) and a few others I can't remember the names of.

My review of the above are as follows;

Morning Night - 3 reasonable tables, some good cues, excellent music (and they take requests), decent service. Expensive beer, though. Any bar that plays Adored by the Stone Roses as I first walked in the door is going to get my custom.

Gullivers - 9 reasonable tables, crap cues, crap service. Cheap beer, though.

Hillary's II - 4 reasonable tables, cues ok, service ok, expensive beer.

First bar on soi cowboy - 5 good tables, good cues, cheap beer, hit and miss music, good service, good bar. Runner up.

New Wave - 7 excellent tables, good cues, good service, decently priced beer, crap music. Overall, a clear winner on the pool side of things.

********************************************************************************

Can anyone recommend any other pool bars? The holy grail is a bar with good quality *winner stays on* tables, good cues, good atmosphere and ideally cheap drinks. Another plus would be a mainly farang crowd - I get sick of playing girls all night.

Edited by Super Hans

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Mango in Nana Plaza, lots of tables, good crowd, no hassles for drinks. The food is pretty good too. Woodstock Bar in Thonglor Soi 13 is good too, it's not cheap but the foods good, one table and it's a Western crowd.

So far I've been to Morning Night, New Wave, Gullivers, the first bar on the left on Soi Cowboy, Hillary's II (and the one opposite it) and a few others I can't remember the names of.

Morning Night - 3 reasonable tables, some good cues, excellent music (and they take requests), decent service. Expensive beer, though. Any bar that plays Adored by the Stone Roses as I first walked in the door is going to get my custom.

First bar on soi cowboy - 5 good tables, good cues, cheap beer, hit and miss music, good service, good bar. Runner up.

New Wave - 7 excellent tables, good cues, good service, decently priced beer, crap music. Overall, a clear winner on the pool side of things.

********************************************************************************

Can anyone recommend any other pool bars? The holy grail is a bar with good quality *winner stays on* tables, good cues, good atmosphere and ideally cheap drinks. Another plus would be a mainly farang crowd - I get sick of playing girls all night.

Ball in Hand bar, up Soi 4 about 400 meters and turn right at the 711 and it's about 40 yards on your right, up stairs to the bar and also the sin bar on the top floor.

Soi 33 opposite the Office, can't remembr the name but good tables and music, plus really cheap Fajitas on Tues night with a free draft beer (199 Baht for food and beer).

Edited by midasthailand

My favorite is Bully's on Sukhumvit at Soi 4. The tables are getting a bit worn though. They do have winner stays at the table or you can rent it by the hour.

Ball in Hand at Times Square had a fire last week and looks to be closed for a few month.

TH

What about Swan on soi 4? They do good food too and have a funny/giggly waitress I like..

I noticed there's a pool bar called Erotica (downstairs from the go-go by the same name) in Nana Plaza..

Salute on Soi 3 (about 20 m up the soi on the right hand side) and you take an elevator to the second floor. OK cues, ok tables, ok waitresses (though I have heard :o the bar fines are steep there) and pretty good players

Soi 8 Pub and restaurant on Suk. Soi 8. Have thursday night 9-ball tournaments for fun (winner has to buy a round) and it is a modified round robin and only costs 200 baht entry.

Salute on Soi 3 (about 20 m up the soi on the right hand side) and you take an elevator to the second floor. OK cues, ok tables, ok waitresses (though I have heard :o the bar fines are steep there) and pretty good players

Soi 8 Pub and restaurant on Suk. Soi 8. Have thursday night 9-ball tournaments for fun (winner has to buy a round) and it is a modified round robin and only costs 200 baht entry.

Yeah, I had a look in last night - the tables are Sam's I think, like the ones I play on back home. They're ok-ish. The prize money is beer tokens - do you know if they have to be spent on the night (not that there will be anything left after buying a round, mind).

Soi 33 opposite the Office, can't remembr the name but good tables and music

The place is Mojo's and the tables are pretty good. I would also suggest that you check out the sports connection which is right next to Asoke station.

Forgot to mention Factory on Sukhumvit between Soi 5 and Soi 7. They have a few tables upstairs, nothing great though, and it's usually pretty empty.

If you want to get out to Suk Soi 20, Flyers is on the corner and has 2 floors with about 10 tables or so. Queens Park is located up Soi 20 on the right hand side and has many small bars, most with a pool table, some have a few.

I also heard Sports Academy is closed all week. Can anyone confirm this? Trouble with the police or something?

The Big Mango has moved. It is in an alley down by Jool's.

The Players is the best pool hall in town followed by Ball in Hand 1, next to Sin & opposite Raja main entrance - up the stairs.

Ball in Hand 2 in Times Square is very good 2.

Forgot to mention Factory on Sukhumvit between Soi 5 and Soi 7. They have a few tables upstairs, nothing great though, and it's usually pretty empty.

If you want to get out to Suk Soi 20, Flyers is on the corner and has 2 floors with about 10 tables or so. Queens Park is located up Soi 20 on the right hand side and has many small bars, most with a pool table, some have a few.

I also heard Sports Academy is closed all week. Can anyone confirm this? Trouble with the police or something?

If it's the place I'm thinking of - the poolhall above the seafood place next to Asoke - it's been closed for at least a couple of days.

I'm after bars more than poolhalls though. I paid 120 for a singha in Hillary's II tonight - yikes!

The Big Mango has moved. It is in an alley down by Jool's.

The Players is the best pool hall in town followed by Ball in Hand 1, next to Sin & opposite Raja main entrance - up the stairs.

Ball in Hand 2 in Times Square is very good 2.

Yes, as I've previously said - and is in the title of this thread - bars. That's "bars", for those that consistently provide duff info as fact on internet messageboards... :o

I'm after bars more than poolhalls though. I paid 120 for a singha in Hillary's II tonight - yikes!

Is Hillary II the one on the same side as NP? If so, I was there playing pool until about 9PM on the back 2 tables. Went to BIH afterwards. Actually made of day of hitting the bars after reading this thread. First BIH, then Bully's, then Hillary (II?), then back to BIH.

Dotcom, Sports Academy is quite a bit better than BIH, and both are way better than players IMO. If you haven't been there you should check it out after they open their doors, which will hopefully be Satuday from what I've heard. Players doesn't have comfortable seating or a good layout, too much wasted space on the bar sized tables, too many ugly ladies trying to hit on you, and just a general unfriendly atmosphere. Same feeling I got in New Wave after spending a bit of time there. Oddly enough, I found Players from some shaddy guys at New Wave. Seems the same type of people frequent both, and while it may have taken a while, I realized I didn't want to be a part of that scene. Only on my latest stop at Players did I not encounter the usual clientele, but that just helped me realize that the other reasons I mentioned will keep me from ever frequenting it.

Is Hillary II the one on the same side as NP? If so, I was there playing pool until about 9PM on the back 2 tables. Went to BIH afterwards. Actually made of day of hitting the bars after reading this thread. First BIH, then Bully's, then Hillary (II?), then back to BIH.

Dotcom, Sports Academy is quite a bit better than BIH, and both are way better than players IMO. If you haven't been there you should check it out after they open their doors, which will hopefully be Satuday from what I've heard. Players doesn't have comfortable seating or a good layout, too much wasted space on the bar sized tables, too many ugly ladies trying to hit on you, and just a general unfriendly atmosphere. Same feeling I got in New Wave after spending a bit of time there. Oddly enough, I found Players from some shaddy guys at New Wave. Seems the same type of people frequent both, and while it may have taken a while, I realized I didn't want to be a part of that scene. Only on my latest stop at Players did I not encounter the usual clientele, but that just helped me realize that the other reasons I mentioned will keep me from ever frequenting it.

Yes, Hillary's II is a bit further up from NEP and on the same side of the road. Hillary's I is opposite it. There's also just plain Hillary's on Soi 11, I think, which is actually pretty good - good tables (Brunswicks) and friendly staff to play if you're on your todd. It looks too small from the outside to be a poollhall, but goes up about 4 floors, I think.

Why is Sports Academy closed? It's another good choice. Walked by Players a couple of times, but it doesn't look up to much. I'm surprised at your comments on New Wave - aside from one or two pain in the arse working girls, who are easy to ignore, I've never had any problems with the place. Bloody awful music, I'll grant you. Actually, now you mention it, there were a gang of lads I didn't like in there when I first started going - haven't seen them in a while, so hopefully they have moved on. It has enough tables for you to move about quite quickly if you don't like your surroundings. I like it because you don't have to wait all day for a game. Too many girls to play though, many of which are very sore losers.

Yes, Hillary's II is a bit further up from NEP and on the same side of the road. Hillary's I is opposite it. There's also just plain Hillary's on Soi 11, I think, which is actually pretty good - good tables (Brunswicks) and friendly staff to play if you're on your todd. It looks too small from the outside to be a poollhall, but goes up about 4 floors, I think.

Why is Sports Academy closed? It's another good choice. Walked by Players a couple of times, but it doesn't look up to much. I'm surprised at your comments on New Wave - aside from one or two pain in the arse working girls, who are easy to ignore, I've never had any problems with the place. Bloody awful music, I'll grant you. Actually, now you mention it, there were a gang of lads I didn't like in there when I first started going - haven't seen them in a while, so hopefully they have moved on. It has enough tables for you to move about quite quickly if you don't like your surroundings. I like it because you don't have to wait all day for a game. Too many girls to play though, many of which are very sore losers.

Mojos.... Thanks for that Ashacat. It's quite a nice bar with reasonable prices, music and eye candy. I has forgotten about sports academy, agreed, it's a pretty good place to play, they also have reasonable food.

What's the story with the BG's that hate to lose? It's almost as if they expect you to let them win...F@#K that!!!!

If the OP is into snooker on the big tables that could open a whole new thread, I've never been to a country with so many full size tables.

Perhaps we could have a Thai Visa pool/championship night? What about it sponsors???? :o

Mojos.... Thanks for that Ashacat. It's quite a nice bar with reasonable prices, music and eye candy. I has forgotten about sports academy, agreed, it's a pretty good place to play, they also have reasonable food.

What's the story with the BG's that hate to lose? It's almost as if they expect you to let them win...F@#K that!!!!

If the OP is into snooker on the big tables that could open a whole new thread, I've never been to a country with so many full size tables.

Perhaps we could have a Thai Visa pool/championship night? What about it sponsors???? :o

Yeah, come on sponsors, stick some serious wonga in the pot and let's get it on.

Where is Mojos?

Anyone know what the deal is with BGs? Obviously there are some that are staff, playing with punters in much the same way that they'd play connect 4 etc, but what I'm interested in are the freelancers, who play in the hope of picking up fellas. Someone told me there are a lot that are employed by the bars themselves, so aren't technically speaking freelancers - anyone know whether that's true or not? If it is true, and presumably it'll mean they play for free, then I'll feel less guilty about them losing their 20 baht so quickly.

Anyone know what the deal is with BGs? Obviously there are some that are staff, playing with punters in much the same way that they'd play connect 4 etc, but what I'm interested in are the freelancers, who play in the hope of picking up fellas. Someone told me there are a lot that are employed by the bars themselves, so aren't technically speaking freelancers - anyone know whether that's true or not? If it is true, and presumably it'll mean they play for free, then I'll feel less guilty about them losing their 20 baht so quickly.

They're just trying to get your attention, so since playing pool didn't do it, they figure pouting or acting like a little brat will. They either want you to feel bad and go talk to them, or they are honestly mad that you cared more about beating them than flirting with them. You just have to ignore it, goes with the territory.

The farang who writes that Bangkok Good/Bad Girl blog described the situation well by saying (s)he didn't pay much attention to the guys playing pool at Gulliver's as they are more interested in the pool games than the girls. I guess that's what happens when it's so in your face in those areas. I know if I were back in the states and there were attractive girls playing pool with me, winning would be the last thing on my mind. But here, they're just a nuisance.

The only place I play once in a while where I know that at least some of the girls are working there is Hillary II, and likely the other Hillary bars which I haven't really been to. At Gulliver's, Bully's, New Wave, Sanook, etc., they're all just freelancers.

Edited by surface

Where is Mojos?

Mojos is at the end on the right of the first sub soi on the right of Soi 33 I think it has 5 tables. The place where I've seen the most freelancers playing is Bullys, sometimes it's hard to get on a table and you often see two or three tables where both players are girls!

Edited by midasthailand

No loss there then, the place is now a shit hole. Rude waitresses, warm & rotten beer, air con switched off - I was even sweating in shorts n a t-shirt.

Edited by TopDogger

No loss there then, the place is now a shit hole. Rude waitresses, warm & rotten beer, air con switched off - I was even sweating in shorts n a t-shirt.

Really? The waitresses are always extremely friendly to me and anyone I go there with. They would have to be, they are working primarily for tips. Never a problem with beer being warm, and I would just send it back and ask for a cold one if it was. Never felt hot either, unless in the smoking closet. It does have a distinct feel, but of the few true pool halls around here, Players is the only one that even comes close to being a shit hole in my mind, though it still has a ways to go before being that bad.

Swan Bar down soi 4 is good for couples and friends to go and play together, they have 16 tables including about 5 full size.

They dont have it setup for challenge , but the loser pays if playing another customer, but not the service staff..

Swan 4 bar and hotel ,down farther on the right hand side opposite SM Grand , has 8 tables plus 1 full size and more girls if your going alone.

Drink prices seem ok, beers are 100 I think .

Cheers

Where is Mojos?

Mojos is at the end on the right of the first sub soi on the right of Soi 33 I think it has 5 tables. The place where I've seen the most freelancers playing is Bullys, sometimes it's hard to get on a table and you often see two or three tables where both players are girls!

Went into Bully's the other night - crap, I though. Hardly any freelancers (not a bad thing),but little atmosphere. One thing: I quite liked it that I was charged 107 baht for my drink - not the price, but the odd amount. First time in Thailand I've experienced an odd number in a bar.

Does Mojos get many customers? It looks a big place for the location.

classic reviews

any1 who knows anything about pool can tell u that new wave has shit tables, every single table is shit, but i have to agree with u on the cues.

and i dont hate the place because i drink in there often.

gullivers review also made me laugh, tables are good cues are average, but have to agree on the service.

i have sat there for over an hour b4 without any1 asking me would i like a drink.

sports acadamy closed because the seafood resturants contract ended with the owner of the building and he/they refused to renew it, so it was basically pack ur stuff and get out.

they are currently looking for a new location

Gullivers