Best Bars To Play Pool In

Super Hans

Anyone know what the deal is with BGs? Obviously there are some that are staff, playing with punters in much the same way that they'd play connect 4 etc, but what I'm interested in are the freelancers, who play in the hope of picking up fellas. Someone told me there are a lot that are employed by the bars themselves, so aren't technically speaking freelancers - anyone know whether that's true or not? If it is true, and presumably it'll mean they play for free, then I'll feel less guilty about them losing their 20 baht so quickly.

Gullivers

Negative

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the criteria is freelancers then Gullivers can not be touched. Your avatar is perfect. read mine.

The criteria was girls that work for the bar who play pool for free. Thanks for insults, now go learn to read.

So far I've been to Morning Night, New Wave, Gullivers, the first bar on the left on Soi Cowboy, Hillary's II (and the one opposite it) and a few others I can't remember the names of.

My review of the above are as follows;

Morning Night - 3 reasonable tables, some good cues, excellent music (and they take requests), decent service. Expensive beer, though. Any bar that plays Adored by the Stone Roses as I first walked in the door is going to get my custom.

Gullivers - 9 reasonable tables, crap cues, crap service. Cheap beer, though.

Hillary's II - 4 reasonable tables, cues ok, service ok, expensive beer.

First bar on soi cowboy - 5 good tables, good cues, cheap beer, hit and miss music, good service, good bar. Runner up.

New Wave - 7 excellent tables, good cues, good service, decently priced beer, crap music. Overall, a clear winner on the pool side of things.

********************************************************************************

Can anyone recommend any other pool bars? The holy grail is a bar with good quality *winner stays on* tables, good cues, good atmosphere and ideally cheap drinks. Another plus would be a mainly farang crowd - I get sick of playing girls all night.

classic reviews

any1 who knows anything about pool can tell u that new wave has shit tables, every single table is shit, but i have to agree with u on the cues.

and i dont hate the place because i drink in there often.

gullivers review also made me laugh, tables are good cues are average, but have to agree on the service.

i have sat there for over an hour b4 without any1 asking me would i like a drink.

sports acadamy closed because the seafood resturants contract ended with the owner of the building and he/they refused to renew it, so it was basically pack ur stuff and get out.

they are currently looking for a new location

The tables in the New Wave are NOT shit. They are very easy to play on, admittedly meaning you can lose to stiffs quite easily, but I prefer that to tables that are hard work. They have game. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me Gullivers has better tables than NW? Absolutely no chance.

And I know a great deal about pool. I class a "good table" on how easy I can break and run. Anything approaching a 50% success rate I class as a good table.

Maybe you can't break and run?

Anyone know what the deal is with BGs? Obviously there are some that are staff, playing with punters in much the same way that they'd play connect 4 etc, but what I'm interested in are the freelancers, who play in the hope of picking up fellas. Someone told me there are a lot that are employed by the bars themselves, so aren't technically speaking freelancers - anyone know whether that's true or not? If it is true, and presumably it'll mean they play for free, then I'll feel less guilty about them losing their 20 baht so quickly.

Gullivers

Negative

So you just a fukkin retard? Thanks

Hey dotcom, relax. Super Hans has his answer whichever way he meant it. There's no need to start slinging insults as this was a friendly helpful thread, so let's all try to keep it that way. Save all that aggression and competitiveness for the tables.

Cheers.

:o

Merely asking you a question.

btw- remember when super HANS was walking down Rama 4 road & got his penis inspected by a couple of off duty cops? LMFAO. He does need guidance.

If you want to play pool, go to Players, get yourself a game of 9 ball.

For drinking & picking up whores there are 50,000 better places in BKK.

9 ball is all I play - on 9 foot tables. I hate the 2 shot on a foul rule so at Gullivers Bully's etc I am a spectator.

Yes, and I remember you offering duff legal status advice as fact. And they weren't off-duty policemen - can't you understand anything? I wouldn't take anything this clown says as legit.

The first bar on the left on Cowboy plays with proper rules, well sort of proper rules. One shot, ball in hand, no 2 shot nonsense.

Edited by Super Hans

Hey dotcom, relax. Super Hans has his answer whichever way he meant it. There's no need to start slinging insults as this was a friendly helpful thread, so let's all try to keep it that way. Save all that aggression and competitiveness for the tables.

Cheers.

:o

Thanks for the support, but this guy's clearly a troll. For the record, I meant I was interested in freelancers in terms of their MO, not where to find them. I'll leave that for sad losers, who are here to exploit the poor through wealth accumulated by an accident of birth. Like the bubble, for instance.

Well the more prescient among you have surmised that Sports Authority is OOB. Out of Business. Spoke to one of the principals of Players yest..

Hey troll Hans (not super) - the first bar in Cowboy is called "Country Roads". ergo - you don't know jack & have FA to add to the forum.

Maybe sonny after you have been here a few years you might get some education. But I doubt it.

We are waiting for more troll stories about your walks in Klong Toey slum.

Well the more prescient among you have surmised that Sports Authority is OOB. Out of Business. Spoke to one of the principals of Players yest..

Hey troll Hans (not super) - the first bar in Cowboy is called "Country Roads". ergo - you don't know jack & have FA to add to the forum.

Maybe sonny after you have been here a few years you might get some education. But I doubt it.

So what are the plans for a new Sports Acadamy?

C'mon now kids, if you are going to argue about other threads that you have posted on, at least post a link so we can make informed comment on your spat. :o

C'mon now kids, if you are going to argue about other threads that you have posted on, at least post a link so we can make informed comment on your spat. :o

No spat in my eyes - Dorothy's too poor a WUM to respond to. He got his little panties in a twist because he presented erroneous information as FACT, and I told him so. Since then, he's been following me round like a little girl.

He really ought to stick to trying to have sex with water buffalos. And learning to read properly. He makes so many mistakes one can only assume English isn't his first language. Any English teachers about? Wanted: English comprehension teacher required in order to educate tedious retarded loudmouth. Must be patient.

Hey my hero Hans (DEFINITELY super) - the first bar in Cowboy is called "Country Roads".

So, as they play the ball in hand rule, I'll be seeing you in there for a game of 8 ball then? Don't worry, Dorothy, I'll take it easy on you. I always let the girls have at least one shot.

As said by someone else nearly a WEEK ago.

sports acadamy closed because the seafood resturants contract ended with the owner of the building and he/they refused to renew it, so it was basically pack ur stuff and get out.

they are currently looking for a new location

How does this make you prescient? I would say it makes you slow.

Really, Mr Bubble, you need to up your game. Don't allow all that wind and hot air you spout make you go 'pop' now! Two dotcom crashes in a decade - can the world bear it?

duh, why include my quote in your statement?

• 2 months later...
New Wave, Factory, BULLY'S, Gulliver's, Morning Night? You've got to be kidding me.

Ball In Hand takes it. Sports Academy (Which is open again on top of Bush Garden) is not bad as well.

Where's Bush Garden?

This thread was about Pool bars. NOT pool-halls.

Sports Academy and Bush Garden are on sukhumvit between soi 13 and soi 15 at Ruamchitt plaza. Sports is upstairs. SA is more pool-bar than pool-hall I think. Anyway, it is a great place.

Edited by Pek

New Wave, Factory, BULLY'S, Gulliver's, Morning Night? You've got to be kidding me.

Ball In Hand takes it. Sports Academy (Which is open again on top of Bush Garden) is not bad as well.

Where's Bush Garden?

Bush Garden is also above Thermae.....?

You don't go to pool bars for good games of pool. Go to BIH for good games of pool and to pool bars for everything else and games of shit pool with your lady friend of the night. Problem solved.

Where's Bush Garden?

Bush Garden is also above Thermae.....?

You don't go to pool bars for good games of pool. Go to BIH for good games of pool and to pool bars for everything else and games of shit pool with your lady friend of the night. Problem solved.

I tend to agree, but find it can get quite expensive in proper pool halls, and they can lack atmosphere. Good bars, with decent tables and half decent music are the way to go, especially as they tend to be winner stays tables. I had many hours entertainment for 20 baht in the bars I listed.

Country Road in Cowboy is the best I found, not least because they play proper rules, not the 2 shot crap that ruins pool for much of the world.

The Big Mango has moved. It is in an alley down by Jool's.

The Players is the best pool hall in town followed by Ball in Hand 1, next to Sin & opposite Raja main entrance - up the stairs.

Ball in Hand 2 in Times Square is very good 2.

Hmm... I thought Players was alright, but the tables & sticks at Ball in Hand 1 are much nicer. That's my preferred place to play.