Anybody Know Any Decent Builders?

quadisking

Does anybody know of any decent builders in Chiangmai?

Most expats who I know have leaking roofs, which isn't ideal during rainy season!!

Most Thai builders seem to be cowboys and the job price rises significantly when they see farang (strangely enough).

I can't afford to be ripped off too extortionately. We recently enquired about having a kitchen refitted and re-tiled, and got quoted by a few Thai blokes down the road half a million baht :o .

Any recommendations?? Any phone numbers of good connections??

What part of CM do you live?? I have a friend/contractor that has always treated me fairly and 'can do' everything from houses from the ground up , renovations, and swimming pools. If you are near Doi Saket area, leave your phone number in my PM box and I'll return call.

Are you looking for a roof repair and a kitchen remodeling? What kind of roof is it, what kind of tiles? For the kitchen, do you just need tile or do you need cabinets and/or appliances installed? If you want one contractor to manage all the different skills, it will be more expensive. If you get individual sub contractors for each skill needed, it will be cheaper but then you have to coordinate the work. Actually kitchen remodeling can be very expensive for high end materials and appliances.

I am in the middle of a top-to-bottom renovation of a condominium with a contractor who came highly recommended by two different friends. He has proved himself deserving of their recommendations. If you are interested in learning more and send me your name and telephone number in a PM, I will call you to discuss.

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the middle of a top-to-bottom renovation of a condominium with a contractor who came highly recommended by two different friends. He has proved himself deserving of their recommendations. If you are interested in learning more and send me your name and telephone number in a PM, I will call you to discuss.

Remember?

• 10 months later...

I was originally recommended to Kensington by a friend who had used them to buld his home in Chiang Mai. I found them excellent. They do small works such as wall builds, extensions, pools and things. Try going to www.chiangmaibuilders.net They are not the most expensive and not the cheapest. But they are the most honest and fair guys I know. Very helpful and kind. Good luck. Good workmanship saves you money in repairs later on. That I have learnt. Worth paying a bit extra sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I know them too. However I chose Kensington in the end due to their experience and the fact so many of my expat friends had used them. Very pleased with the results. Just type in chiang mai builders and their name comes up alot. Loads of recommendations and good articles about them. Enjoy :)

Yes, I know. Skip the regular one's (like Kensington or Build Sabai) Maybe their good, but their expensive as well. You can get the same (or better) result by another. PM me directly and I will tell you the company name and details. I have my own experiance with them and my reasons to skip the others.

I know an excellent Farang builder here in Chiang Mai he has his own contruction company and can provide lots of reccomendations from past customers

Benefit of dealing with a fellow farang is no miscommunications, top quality work no skipping corners less headaches and peace of mind that you are getting the same build quality as back home

if you interested drop me a Pm and I will give you his contact details

Err, I don't blame you for erring on the side of caution given some draconian examples in the past, but it SHOULD really be allowed to post a link or a name or an address if this answers the OP's question. That this particular operation is operated by a foreign national I think makes no difference; Thaivisa is not racist after all where you can only recommend Thai owned businesses.

Yes, I know. Skip the regular one's (like Kensington or Build Sabai) Maybe their good, but their expensive as well. You can get the same (or better) result by another. PM me directly and I will tell you the company name and details. I have my own experiance with them and my reasons to skip the others.

Not sure why would you say skip Kensington and Build Sabai. I have spoken with both companies and they were certainly not expensive at all. Infact Kensington was cheaper than two other local contractors I spoke to and got quotes for. Their prices are very fair and they built my house and have successfully built 3 other people's houses I know. Their price was 34% lower than the highest and they provided a service that was to say the least impeccable. I would recommend them to anyone. Both are experienced and professional. Graeme and Chris really looked after me and nothing was too much trouble. They also designed and built a lady called Belinda's house which won the Hottest boutique Hotel in Asia award in may 2008. So they must be doing something right :) All I hear is positive recommendations and I had my house built by them and it was excellent. They are often accalaimed in magazine all over the country and always in a positive light. But each to their own. But if you want quality, service and honesty at a fair price, they are definitely the boys. That is my opinion from living here for twenty years now.

Edited by Gold2005

To let you know: Chris from Kensington has a policy of lowest price guranteed but only if the spec is the same. I found, the one contractor who was cheaper, had substituted cheaper materials and mislead me on the spec. Kensington was using grade A materials as they should be. He then very nicely said Kensington can easily do it for the same price but it is a different quote as the materials were different. Which is of course correct. So they must quote for the same as the other contractor has quoted using the same materials. But he advised me not to use lower grade materials and stick with their original quote. I spoke to a project manager of some 30 years who works for the company building the Dubai World project. So the guy knows what he is talking about. He told me the advice I received from Chris at Kensington was abolutely correct and sensible. He also told me it is why some builders sound cheap, as they substitute cheaper low grade materials. The other builder was quoting using low grade. Which no one should use for a house. So I used Kensington. How can their prices be beaten when they Guarantee they will do it for less if the spec if the same. Guranteed lowest prices. I can not see how a company could be any fairer or more honest. All my expat mates have used them for this reason. Honesty is everything in buisness.

Edited by Gold2005

• 4 months later...
try buildsabai - google for their website and contact details

English speaking owner with a Masters in Construction Management from a US university.

They are also becoming a advertiser on Thaivisa soon.

www.buildsabai.com

• 1 month later...

Here is a genuine testimonial from a recent customer of Kensington who are builders in Chiang Mai. I mentioned them before but bumped into a friend and he was telling me how pleased he was with their service. I asked permission to use it. I think it speaks for itself. With some companies treating their customers with no care and regard, particularly as we saw with the run up to the awful world recession. I think these guys deserve a mention. What a fabulous recommendation. I love to see people running proper companies and doing well. It is so positive in these difficult times. Good on ya lads !

“As an expatriate married to a Thai lady and hoping to spend my retirement in Chiang Mai, for me and many others like me, our first priority was to have a comfortable home built to European and international standards; standards we have been accustomed to during our working life and now seek to continue in our retirement. Until I found Kensington my worries/concerns were to be sure my house would be properly and reliably constructed, with proper plumbing, electrics, quality finish with proper control, supervision and good quality interior/exterior materials.

Having heard of the horror stories of some others who entrusted their house construction to incompetent contractors and having overflowing toilets, flooding drains, house fires with improper wiring etc, I was most relieved from my first meeting with Graeme James, that I was able to notice at once that I was dealing with a professional outfit. I had no hesitation in entrusting my life savings in a luxurious villa in the hands of Kensington. Now over a year on my house is completed to standards better than my expectations. They conducted business with a caring personal touch whilst I was thousands of miles away in Oman. They carried out everything as if I was present each day at the construction site. I can from my personal experience recommend Kensington as an honest, reliable and highly competent contractor; with a professional management team which will cater for your every preference in constructing your house at very competitive market rates. Thanking you.” Kingsley & Katai Pathmanathan October 12th 2009

Here is a genuine testimonial from a recent customer of Kensington who are builders in Chiang Mai. I mentioned them before but bumped into a friend and he was telling me how pleased he was with their service. I asked permission to use it. I think it speaks for itself. With some companies treating their customers with no care and regard, particularly as we saw with the run up to the awful world recession. I think these guys deserve a mention. What a fabulous recommendation. I love to see people running proper companies and doing well. It is so positive in these difficult times. Good on ya lads !

"As an expatriate married to a Thai lady and hoping to spend my retirement in Chiang Mai, for me and many others like me, our first priority was to have a comfortable home built to European and international standards; standards we have been accustomed to during our working life and now seek to continue in our retirement. Until I found Kensington my worries/concerns were to be sure my house would be properly and reliably constructed, with proper plumbing, electrics, quality finish with proper control, supervision and good quality interior/exterior materials.

Having heard of the horror stories of some others who entrusted their house construction to incompetent contractors and having overflowing toilets, flooding drains, house fires with improper wiring etc, I was most relieved from my first meeting with Graeme James, that I was able to notice at once that I was dealing with a professional outfit. I had no hesitation in entrusting my life savings in a luxurious villa in the hands of Kensington. Now over a year on my house is completed to standards better than my expectations. They conducted business with a caring personal touch whilst I was thousands of miles away in Oman. They carried out everything as if I was present each day at the construction site. I can from my personal experience recommend Kensington as an honest, reliable and highly competent contractor; with a professional management team which will cater for your every preference in constructing your house at very competitive market rates. Thanking you." Kingsley & Katai Pathmanathan October 12th 2009

classic ! Your names not Graeme is it? :)

"As an expatriate married to a Thai lady and hoping to spend my retirement in Chiang Mai, for me and many others like me, our first priority was to have a comfortable home built to European and international standards; standards we have been accustomed to during our working life and now seek to continue in our retirement. Until I found Kensington my worries/concerns were to be sure my house would be properly and reliably constructed, with proper plumbing, electrics, quality finish with proper control, supervision and good quality interior/exterior materials.

Having heard of the horror stories of some others who entrusted their house construction to incompetent contractors and having overflowing toilets, flooding drains, house fires with improper wiring etc, I was most relieved from my first meeting with Graeme James, that I was able to notice at once that I was dealing with a professional outfit. I had no hesitation in entrusting my life savings in a luxurious villa in the hands of Kensington. Now over a year on my house is completed to standards better than my expectations. They conducted business with a caring personal touch whilst I was thousands of miles away in Oman. They carried out everything as if I was present each day at the construction site. I can from my personal experience recommend Kensington as an honest, reliable and highly competent contractor; with a professional management team which will cater for your every preference in constructing your house at very competitive market rates. Thanking you." Kingsley & Katai Pathmanathan October 12th 2009

classic ! Your names not Graeme is it? :D

I just read through Gold2005's previous posts. It seems he's a little obsessed with this particular building company LoLs :)