Cats issue

Steph

Hi,

We are taking our two cats from the Uk to Thailand. They are having all their jabs at the moment including the one for Rabbies. I have already contacted companies that will arrange shipping and all seems in order.

The only two queries that I have are regardign the import licence and duties. I have not had a reply fromt the Thai authorities in Bangkok for them to send me an import licence yet???? Am I likely to have to call them and are they a bit funny about issuing one?

The other thing is regarding import duties? I can imagine that they will charge me a lot for my two cats to enter the Kingdom. Any idea how much?

many thanks.

Too much!

I do not and never have owned cats, and although I respect the feelings world-wide for "cat lovers", I fail to understand how anyone would want to make a frightened animal travel in unfamilar circumstances and surroundings for 11 hours enduring the noise and temperatures of an aircraft.

Why not buy when you arrive and place your own cats with a trusted neighbour/friend/family member and save them the pain of the above.

Regards

Sev

:cool:

Believe me, I have thought seriously about this issue and have spoken in great depth with 3 very experienced vets and people who have shipped animals themselves. I have done extensive research on the subject and cats are very adaptable.

The vets say that million of pets travel everywhere and cats especially will just fall asleep for probably the whole journey as their favourite past time is sleep anyway! You will always get a horror story but that goes with everything in life.

My pets are not toys, were never intended to be just for Christmas and I can not get give them away and replace them as if they were some kind of cuddly toy or Barbie doll! They are part of the family and I would prefer to take this course of action as opposed to give them to the RSPA, or anybodyelse for that matter, because my life circumstances have changed.

Well, I think the authority shouldn't have a problem with you bringing you cats to Thailand provided that they have all the vaccinations needed.  They are just being slow because that's how most of them work!  It's probably best to phone them.  Have you try contacting the Thai embassy here for advice?

I know how you feel about not wanting to part with your cats.  I too have a cat and I would not want to part with him if and when I go back to Thailand.  But the problem is, Thailand is a difficult place for a cat that's been in the UK all its life.  There are still lots of diseases there that are long gone in the west.  Lots of pet owners in Thailand don't vaccinate their pets.  There are lots of stray dogs there that can literally eat your cat for breakfast if she happened to wonder into their territory (I've lost a cat to that once).  And some Thais are really cruel to animal (also two of my cats lost to that as well-one got shot and the other got ran over and was left to die).  It's probably not all that bad but these things do happen.

I just want to make sure you know what is in store for you and your cats.  If you have considered all this and still think it'll be fine then go for it.  The difficult issue is not just disease but the environment your cats will live in as well.  Also what if you want to come back to the UK?  Will you not have to put them in quarantine for quite a while?  Last time I have heard 'pet passport' will not be valid to use for pets that have been in Thailand (and many other developing countries where rabies is still common).  

Hope things go well with the move.    :o

I always take my cat from Italy to Thailand for three/five months, because nobody wants/can take care of him.

I anyway take him with me on the airplane (Thai Airways allows to take on cabin), it's a bit expensive (150 Euro one-way).

See the link below, which explains the law to import pets to Thailand (consider they never asked me to pay a deposit, but my wife is Thai).

If the page does not appear click on the reload button.

http://www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1

• 7 years later...

Steph, first, ignore the blue bugger.

Next, think carefully about what D80 has said.

I'm not a cat person, but did bring my dog a number of years ago.

I had all the papers and certificates and letters and reassurances, and nobody wanted to bother even looking at them.

Why? The reasoning is that a Westerner who has a pet cares for it, makes sure it has the necessary medical care, had the vaccinations, has the concern, has whatever it needs. it's not a Thai bring a scruffy soi animal into the country, is it?

They waved me through, even though I kept showing them all the papers. After all, I had gone to the trouble to get them!

I'll predict no trouble at all, nothing, about bringing them into the country. But as D80 has suggested, once they're here, you'll have to monitor them carefully, perhaps ensuring they avoid contact with other cats etc. that might be around. Make them house cats, ones on a leash.

You could, however, if you decided to head back to the UK with them, have some troubles. That I wouldn't want to comment on. My dog was welcomed back with a good pat and a "Did you have a good winter? Welcome home" by the customs and immigration people, but that was a few years back, and it was Canada.

My Thai brother in law recently brought his dog back from Japan, and after getting the shots etc, the dog issue was ignored by the authorities. It was just a matter of getting a Veterinary sign off. I'd check with a local Thai Consulate for the paperwork. They would likely be easier to deal with than Bangkok.