Renewing Thai Drivers Licence

mussen

Hi all, I know that when applying for a Thai drivers licence you can not do so on a holiday visa, a non-imm visa is necessary.

Just curious as to when the first initial year of the licence has nearly expired, when renewing the licence does one need to hold a non-imm visa or can it be renewed on a holiday visa? And what is the process?

Thanks in advance

Yes, they want to see a non-imm.

Have o look in here,

http://thaivisa.com/567.0.html

the information is basically up to date, except, when renewing they will probably give you 5 years' licence for Baht 505. Waiting time usually less than 1 hour.

Thanks Axel, can they be renewed before it expires? If so how long before?

And can it be renewed after it expired, if so for how long after it expires?

Thanks again.

Hi all, I know that when applying for a Thai drivers licence you can not do so on a holiday visa, a non-imm visa is necessary.

Just curious as to when the first initial year of the licence has nearly expired, when renewing the licence does one need to hold a non-imm visa or can it be renewed on a holiday visa? And what is the process?

Thanks in advance

Mussen, I renewed mine without a Non Imm visa, but she would only give me 1 year, if i had a Non Imm she would have given me 5 years.

All I had was a 30 day entry stamp.

This was at Pattaya office, in April.

Thanks Axel, can they be renewed before it expires? If so how long before?

And can it be renewed after it expired, if so for how long after it expires?

Thanks again.

Not 100 percent sure mussen, but believe 1 month before expiry.

Less than 1 year after expiry. This was confirmed this July, when my son presented a licence that had expired for nearly 3 years. (After lots of talking and showing EU - licence as well as IDP they gave him the color test and a 4-years new one.)

I renewed my one-year licence a year or so ago and got a five-year one.

Since then I moved into a bungalow we had built and this will be my final address. (Apart from that little room at the temple with a tall chimney attached)

Can I obtain a change of licence to have my new address put on it or

must I wait another 3 and a half years until renewal? If I can change the licence what documents are they likely to ask for?

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

My Thai license is coming up for renewal and when I received my initial(1 year) license last year, I had to have a residency certificate from the American Embassy..Two questions..

1. Do I have to have a new residency certificate from the American Embassy for the renewal? and

2. I am also going to get the International License...Do I need a separate residency certificate for that license?

Thanks

Stoneman

1. Do I have to have a new residency certificate from the American Embassy for the renewal? 

When I received my initial (1 year) license just a couple of weeks ago, I was told that a residency certificate + passport with a Non Imm visa will be needed for renewal.

It was in the Transport Office Area 1, located in Soi Wathuakrabue at km 4.5, Bangkunthien, Bangkok.

1. Do I have to have a new residency certificate from the American Embassy for the renewal? 

When I received my initial (1 year) license just a couple of weeks ago, I was told that a residency certificate + passport with a Non Imm visa will be needed for renewal.

It was in the Transport Office Area 1, located in Soi Wathuakrabue at km 4.5, Bangkunthien, Bangkok.

Although you'll see information to the contrary, you may not need a residency certificate. I took a letter from my employer confirming my address, and also my WP and passport. No problems, and no rip-off fee paid to the UK embassy just for signing a crappy bit of paper (they'll "confirm" any address you give them). I hope it works so easily when I renew.