Unknown Foreigner Jumps To His Death From Mike Shopping Mall.

Pattaya_Fox

The guy must have been very distressed to do this and I feel sorry for him, but it does seem to be an especially selfish way to go- leaving it to others to clear up the mess. I suppose suicide is a selfish thing to do anyway.

Yes, it is a very sad and selfish thing to do...

BB

It's not always selfish. He could have been doing someone a favour. He could be alone with no family etc etc.

The guy must have been very distressed to do this and I feel sorry for him, but it does seem to be an especially selfish way to go- leaving it to others to clear up the mess. I suppose suicide is a selfish thing to do anyway.

BB

It's not always selfish. He could have been doing someone a favour. He could be alone with no family etc etc.

Yes, murder-suicide is much more selfish. Glad we're not seeing many of those.

BB

Jumping off a building is an extremely selfish act. Perhaps you might see this if you needed to deal with the mess, if you needed to witness it, or if the jumper landed on you. There are plenty of other ways to die. Every suicide will impact on somebody so yes it is selfish. Euthanasia of course is a different matter.

Seems strange thats theres been 2 recently, never actually been up to the pool. Any chance the diving boards a bit out of line? :o

Whilst your post is not the most politically correct one I've seen, as the poor chap is dead, I must admit the mental picture evoked by your post caused me some amusement. Thankyou. :D

From a web article about suicide rates in Las Vegas.

Suicide Rate Higher in 3 Gambling Cities, Study Says

By SANDRA BLAKESLEE

Published: December 16, 1997

"To look for an association between suicide and gambling, Dr. Phillips examined death certificates that tell how people died. Las Vegas has the highest suicide rate in the nation, he said.

Based on suicide patterns, one would expect a city the size of Las Vegas to have had 310 suicides in 1990, for example, but he found that the actual number in Las Vegas was 497.

Visitors to Las Vegas also kill themselves at a higher rate, Dr. Phillips said. For most cities nationwide, 1 in l00 ''visitor deaths'' on average is recorded as a suicide. A visitor death means that someone from another state dies while visiting the city in question. In Las Vegas, 1 in 25 visitor deaths on average is a suicide, four times the national average. "

Edited by longball53098

The number of people leaping to their deaths in Pattaya seems grossly disproportionate to the rest of the world.

I don't know what the figures are for Pattaya vs similar holiday locations, but the nature of the tourists that get hooked on the Pattaya nightlife must play a part in their path to taking their own life.

I consider I am lucky that I have never been close to anyone that has committed suicide to know the background in such a case, and I speculate if that is one driving factor. Those that do choose such a path do so because they will there is no one to talk to. And by this I mean no friends, there are telephone and face to face counseling services to 'help' people that might be considering this option. However if they have no friends I could see that they might discount even the idea of talking to a stranger as they don't see any future.

Is this theory supported by the lack of people rushing forward to say, "My friend Jack is missing...."

Is the leason? - "Live longer - have friends."

RIP

******* UPDATE *******

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: June 27th 2008

THE MYSTERY MAN WHO COMMITTED SUICIDE AT MIKE SHOPPING MALL

According to the news of an unidentified white man who had leapt to his death by jumping from the 10th floor of Mike Shopping mall on 23 June 2008 at around 6.00 pm.

Pattaya Police Investigator Sompon Nakumkumpan sent a police team and Sawang Boriboon Rescue Team to Mike Shopping Mall, Pattaya 2nd Road. At the scene, police found the body of a white man, aged around 40, lying on the ground on his stomach. His body had sustained considerable injuries to his head, arms, legs and hips. He was wearing a "Diesel" brand, white t-shirt, brown shorts, and sandals. There was no evidence of fighting nor were there any ID documents about the deceased.

On the next day, a Thai woman name Nid (alias) came to the police station, reported that her husband Mr.Rune Mikael Nylund, from Sweden had been disappeared from their place for the last 24 hours, police showed her the photos of the unidentified white man who jumped from Mike shopping mall and Mrs. Nid assured that the photos were her husband.

Mrs. Nid told the police that Mr. Rune Mikael Nylund had been living in Thailand for several months and ran out of money, could not afford to buy a ticket flying back to Sweden, not even to survive in Pattaya.

After checking all the evidences of the disease, which Mrs. Nid had presented, police will process the case according to the law.

Will anyone dare to swim on the pool if they know that someone had die?

The gentleman concerned jumped from the 10th floor of the complex, the swimming pool is located on the 10th floor, he did not die in or around the pool area.

However, the Pattaya news crews and reporters do like to get the full address of the condos and homes that are the scenes of some deaths (accidental and otherwise) around town. It must surely distress some people that such identifying details is allowed - well who's going to stop them?

After checking all the evidences of the disease, which Mrs. Nid had presented, police will process the case according to the law.
Either a typo (deceased) by the original Pattaya News web-site reporter or there was another factor in his life that affected him.

what drinks are they serving up there

he asked for a shot, but got a slammer.

Thats a bit bad taste isnt it...lets hope you dont get so depressed that you think thats the only option

As a witty one liner separate from the topic of this thread I thought it was hilarious.

what drinks are they serving up there

he asked for a shot, but got a slammer.

Thats a bit bad taste isnt it...lets hope you dont get so depressed that you think thats the only option

As a witty one liner separate from the topic of this thread I thought it was hilarious.

Now that the deceased has been identified and out of respect for his family and friends I am now going to close this thread.