Confused About หรือ

desi

In my Thai lessons I'm coming across หรือ pronounced lĕur.

หรือ = rĕu

(asking for confirmation)

When I asked my Thai teacher (very quick phone conversation) I got that rĕu is written and lĕur is spoken.

Does anyone know the reasoning / history behind the switch?

หรือ = rĕu

When I asked my Thai teacher (very quick phone conversation) I got that rĕu is written and lĕur is spoken.

Its still pronounced rĕu but sometimes spoken lĕur when feeling lazy as ร is harder to pronounce than ล. Its the same when Petchaburi rd is pronounced as Petburi just to save time. You'll find in music or in times where a Thai person needs to speak properly they always revert back to the rĕu pronounciation

หรือ = rĕu

These things happen gradually in language. I may have to eat this assumption, but I doubt anybody could pinpoint at which point "yes" became "yeah".

หรือ = rĕu

These things happen gradually in language. I may have to eat this assumption, but I doubt anybody could pinpoint at which point "yes" became "yeah".

It's a general pattern though, that words which are used often tend to get 'worn out' towards an easier pronunciation.

หรือ, รึ ,เหรอ r the same , but เหรอ and sometimes รึ are used in spoken language.

instead of saying หิวข้าวหรือไง we say .. หิวข้าวเหรอ? หิวข้าวรึไง?

in past, thai ppl said only หิวข้าวรึ? u can hear that in some historical thai movie, such as king naresuan , queen suriyothai movie, etc.

we often feeling crazy for pronouce the ร then it becomes ล ka

A bit of expansion of this topic, if the OP does not mind. Question: what is the real name of the noodle dish:

1. ลาดหน้า using the word: ลาด [V] pave; cover; concrete; tile; surface

or

2. ราดหน้า using the word ราด meaning to pour something over; a topping?

Thanks.

Its still pronounced rĕu but sometimes spoken lĕur when feeling lazy as ร is harder to pronounce than ล. Its the same when Petchaburi rd is pronounced as Petburi just to save time. You'll find in music or in times where a Thai person needs to speak properly they always revert back to the rĕu pronounciation

Ah, ok. Makes sense. It's just confusing to have หรือ in the Thai part of the lesson book. Yet on the facing page, lĕur in the transliteration.

Good point.

Question: wouldn't a language book have 'yes' if the intention was to pronounce it 'yes' and not 'yeah'? Just to make it less confusing for students?

(scrambling over to my lessons to see if it's buried anywhere in the copy ...)

we often feeling crazy for pronouce the ร then it becomes ล ka

Now this I understand! I still have to concentrate hard to pronounce the ร in Thai so switching to ล would make me very happy. It would certainly make me MUCH less crazy.

'Yeah' is not too far off from the Danish pronunciation of 'Ja'.

Hmmm ... made me look.

('yes' wiktionary) Colloquial or slang forms: ya, yah, yeah, yeh, yep, yeppers, yup, yuppers, yus.

Seems 'Yea' is pre 1200 old English (Germanic). [Dictionary of Word Histories - hardcopy]

'Yeah' is early 20c, informal pronoun of 'Yes'. Cp. YAH. (Spelling 'yeah' first recorded 1905)

'Yes' is pre 1200 ... prob from an unrecorded form equiv to YEAH + si [Dictionary of Word Histories - hardcopy]

Learning Thai just might have opened up a whole new world for me. A big world from the looks of it. Nice.

Note: My copy of the Dictionary of Word Histories was acquired at a wickedly wild sale I couldn't refuse. After cracking the cover and browsing, it hadn't been opened since. Until today.

A bit of expansion of this topic, if the OP does not mind. Question: what is the real name of the noodle dish:

or

Thanks.

it's ราดหน้า ka

Sorry, okay the word ลาด or ราด has similar meaning.

Which one do you use,

Exp.

ลาด or ราด ปูนซีเมนต

ลาด or ราด น้ำ

Thank You.

or

Thanks.

it's ราดหน้า ka

Which one do you use,

Exp.

ลาด or ราด ปูนซีเมนต

ลาด or ราด น้ำ

Thank You.

Basically, for solid material such as concrete, asphalt, carpet, ลาด is used which means covered with....

And, liquid material such as water, food, ราด is used.

But if you want to use a word as a verb means to pour cement, then you should say เทปูนซีเมนต์.

or

Thanks.

it's ราดหน้า ka

Which one do you use,

Exp.

ลาด or ราด ปูนซีเมนต

ลาด or ราด น้ำ

Thank You.

Basically, for solid material such as concrete, asphalt, carpet, ลาด is used which means covered with....

And, liquid material such as water, food, ราด is used.

But if you want to use a word as a verb means to pour cement, then you should say เทปูนซีเมนต์.

Cool, Thanks Yoot :o