Best Device For A Luddite Elder

Sheryl

I'm about to make the periodic trek back to farangland to deal with the increassingly worrisone issue of aging elders. My aunt-cum-mother is a particular worry and I would like to find a way to keep in better touch with her that is affordable and that she will use. She refuses to get a computer and I tried giving her a mobile phone so we could SMS, she claimed the buttons were too small to see and the whole thing too complicated to work :o

Surely amidst all the new gadgets that have come out there must be something, either phone or computer-like, just for messaging back and forth that has a large-ish keyboard and is easy to use.

Any suggestions out there??

That's what I am using now but it is not that cheap. .. and the 12 hour time difference is a difficulty.

Looking for something that I can use for daily or near daily communiques. If it allowed for sending pictures that would be ideal. Sort of a small computer but just for messaging....

Exists???

I'm about to make the periodic trek back to farangland to deal with the increassingly worrisone issue of aging elders. My aunt-cum-mother is a particular worry and I would like to find a way to keep in better touch with her that is affordable and that she will use. She refuses to get a computer and I tried giving her a mobile phone so we could SMS, she claimed the buttons were too small to see and the whole thing too complicated to work :o

Surely amidst all the new gadgets that have come out there must be something, either phone or computer-like, just for messaging back and forth that has a large-ish keyboard and is easy to use.

Any suggestions out there??

I went through the same thing with my mother. I even bought her a cell phone that she refuses to even try. The best I came up with is a kindly relative who prints my emails to her. My mother replies via snail mail and writes long hand.

Hi Sheryl

Your aunt-cum-mum may not use any gadget. The elderly forget and get confused. They are then adamant about not using it. The fear factor.

Have you tried Skype or Jajah? You call your mum's landline through the internet and its very cheap. Jajah is good since you don't need a headset. It calls your landline or mobile number first, then when you pick up it connects to your mum. I find the call quality a little better than Skype.

If you need help I can pm you my mobile number and talk you through it.

HP has the touch screen which us kinda neat but still this can be all frightening to an old person. My mom got a computer about 7 years ago and we have been able to keep in touch via email but she's not that old.

Skype is a good idea - just call her home phone with Skype - other than that pen and paper will have to do. - what about a fax machine?

I wonder if the web site for Age Concern would have any suggestions about phones/devices for the elderly? I had the same problem with my Mum, I saved all the Thai numbers in the phones memory and she is still to scared to use it. Talk Talk were cheap for international calls out of the UK.

I have tried every combination of stuff with my mother.. She simply refuses to operate anything that has a menu !!

Dont know why, shes not stupid, but even having bought the simplest most automatic digital camera out there.. Making it clear she could just take the camera data card (or even the whole camera) to the same shop and still get print (and a CD) she is still a film user.. Same with phones (has a mobile, turned off and in a drawer).. Same with laptops, same with skype..

She will sit and listen, she will agree and watch it all, and then never touch it again.. Then complains we are never in touch !! Yet I speak nearly daily with my old fella simply because he will try to email and skype etc.

Some people over a certain age (and my mums only mid 50's) just are technophobes.. They think they will break it, or god only knows what they think..

How old is she?

My Mom is 80 and manages (with help from my nearby nephews) to keep her iMac running. She sends e-mail and chats with me via Skype at least once a week. She's no techno freak, but these things are pretty easy to use these days.

Someone mentioned fax and as much as I hate it (quality wise) believe it is probably the best choice and she can write normally and send photos. I expect some can be programmed to use discount phone lines and just require one touch - or someone would be able to send for her if needed. Computers are scary things when you don't know what to do (throw paper aware and start over is all we old folks know).

She's 76 and looks and acts like a woman in her 50'sm definitely iot a little old lady or anything of the sort. Just stubborn with respect to computers and mobile phones. Actually the computer thing is partly her husband who refuses to have one in the house. Ironically they are both writers. Still using a typewriter!

She is also extremely hard to call. Phone is hooked to a mesage machine and in a room where she can't hear it, so I have to spend a fair amount of money waiting for the beep, leaving a message (which she may not get until the next day) then call again etc etc. Togthjer with hte time difference, makes phone/Skype just niot a good option.

I think I might be able to sell them on a very simple sort of "mini-computer" thing as long as it is small and simple. Surely theer must be something liek that on the market??

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Found the perfect thing in the US. It is a sort of fax-like machine that receives emails (including pictures), will only receive emails from designated addresses so no spam etc. Called Presto and anyone interested can find the website through google. She can't send through it but she can receive, I hear that newer models also allow for sending.

Update:

Found the perfect thing in the US. It is a sort of fax-like machine that receives emails (including pictures), will only receive emails from designated addresses so no spam etc. Called Presto and anyone interested can find the website through google. She can't send through it but she can receive, I hear that newer models also allow for sending.

Good luck their Sheryl. Who's going to change the Presto printer cartridges then?

As their "account manager" I get online updates about the status of the paper supply and ink. I bought her several extra catridges and showed her how to do it (it is quite easy), and I'll know if the catridge hasn't been changed when it is empty.

They have a toll-free help line that is answered by actual humans who make a point of speaking slowly and loudly. The product is specifically designed for the elderly.

She is more than capable of manging the thing, it is more an attudinal issue. So I think it is up to me to send frequent notes and pictures so that she decides it's worth having....