Acer Notebook

Freddie_fly

I have decided to retire the old Laptop and buy an Acer Aspire 2025WLMi.

The Acer website is pretty useless, so does anyone know which shops are Acer dealers and sell this model. I have tried Pantipprice.com and a few searches but havnt found any specific shop names to try.

regards

Freddie

I just bought a Acer ferrari notebook in BKK and it is a fine machine except their smallish keyboard that does not even have home or end keys (multi-key combo's to do those). But on the other hand, I like the Thai characters on the keyboard. I found Acer's web site pretty helpful (www.acer.co.th) for specs and prices.

Acer notebooks are very easy to find in BKK so you can test drive a model before buying. There is an outlet right next to the saladaeng sky train station, a big one at Central Rama IV, and several at Fortune Tower at the Rama IX subway station to mention a few.

I suggest taking a look at their Ferrari 3200 model as well if you are looking for holding the system for a long time. It is outfitted a little better, but the main reason is because it has a true 64-bit processor which allows installing 64-bit Windows which will be the new standard in coming years. The Mobile Pentium system you are looking at should have better battery life however if that is a high need. But Intel is still feverishly working on 64-bit mobile and so is lagging behind AMD in that sense.

I'm using an Acer laptop (TravelMate 280, P4) and it's absolute pants.

Cheap, unreliable hardware. I use it for development (VC++6) and it drags during compilation. Whenever the sound card fires up, the entire machine hangs for 30 seconds. Sometimes the monitor flickers for no reason, yet all connections are hidden (as with any laptop).

Tried getting hold of the latest drivers for all the hardware, but no change in performance. Would well recommend forking out the extra for a real laptop.

Maybe I'm a one-off, but I've learnt my lesson.

I've setup three different Acer laptops for friends and family, and from what I've seen they work relatively well, and I still recommend them. Acer is not the cheapest brand (ECS, belta, laser, etc.) nor is it the most expensive (Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc.). You can get good specs for a decent price, but you can't expect to get all the extras.

Acer notebooks are common and available pretty much everywhere, but not all models are available at all stores. One thing about buying notebooks: the majority of shops will charge VAT on top of their advertised price and you have no choice. If you're buying it for personal use (and can't get back the VAT) then you should search for a shop that doesn't charge VAT, and you'll get a considerable discount. I did this and was able to get a notebook for 34,000 while other shops charged 38,000 or more.

...but you can't expect to get all the extras.

It might surprise you some Acers have features far and above some of the luxury brands while maintaining a significant cost advantage. You can get standard gigabit ethernet, bluetooh, firewire, multi format flash card reader, slot loading DVD+-RW/RAM writer, 802.11g, ATI 9700, TV Out, and a 80GB drive. And if you want a 64-bit CPU, a lot of the luxury brands are joined to the hip with Intel so you are stuck with 32-bits from them for the foreseeable future. Acer on the other hand offers both so you have the choice of CPU. I used to be a believer in IBM/Sony laptops, but now I feel Acer is actually leading them in specs. And Acer's worldwide warranty, service, and dead pixel free guarantees are pretty good too.

Well, by "extras" I was referring to frivolous things such as a docking station, an LCD that's really clear (like sony/fujitsu), and other really "cool" stuff that my friend got when he bought his really really expensive 17" Sony notebook (other stuff he got includes: Dual layer DVD burner, AV-IN, a TV tuner, a ton of software, gigabit LAN).

The thing I was trying to convey is that Acer isn't like the Japanese brands that ask top dollar for similar specs. Acer does indeed have high-end machines, just like any other brand, they just don't have the really "gosh-darn" stuff that Japanese brands have (and charge an arm and a leg for), and are thus good value for the rest of us that don't drive european imports.

Ok, I'm a dummy!

what's the diff between a laptop and a notebook please? :o

It's actually historic.

If you go back about 15 years, you had laptop PCs, which were a bit larger than the average briefcase, where they were more "luggable" than portable. You could use them on your lap, but nobody would classify them as comfortable.

Then along came PCs more like what you get nowadays, where the size of the screen basically decided the size of the PC. (These were a lot smaller - i.e. could go inside a briefcase, so got called notebooks).

Nowadays, the two terms are basically interchangeable as you no longer get laptops. (Desktop replacement notebooks are getting close to the same size though - but that's down to screens being a lot bigger these days.)

I use an ACER travelmate 230, had it for 15 months, no problems at all, very heavy use, only problem is 20GB hard drive is not enough.

I am working in Japan, have 100Mbps ADSL so I bought an iPod, 2500 songs downloaded from Kazaa and with other software i have run out of space on the disc.

It was 38000 baht, celeron 2.0GHz, 256 Ram. No video out though.

Would i get another ACER product ? Yes I think so.