Language Blog Blocked In Thailand

Jay_Jay

I've just received a message from a number of people telling me that my language blog (with a heavy focus on Thai) has been blocked in Thailand? Has something happened in Thailand over the past week that has caused them to shut things down?.. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before using a blogger blog?? Trying to figure out whether it's a network problem, or its because I've written something in there that I shouldn't have.

I've just received a message from a number of people telling me that my language blog (with a heavy focus on Thai) has been blocked in Thailand? Has something happened in Thailand over the past week that has caused them to shut things down?.. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before using a blogger blog?? Trying to figure out whether it's a network problem, or its because I've written something in there that I shouldn't have.

Any link to your blog?

Five years ago, I had exactly the same thing happen. My blog, which was through Geocities.com was suddenly unavailable. It turned out that The Ministry of Information in Thailand blocked ALL Geocities websites because a few websites had been developed by southern insurgents, and they had used Geocities hosting. It took about a year to straighten out. Thailand tends to "overkill" in situations like this. Block the whole shootin' gallery immediately, and then sort things out in detail later. That's what they did with YouTube, and we're still suffering for it, apparently.

I hope that wasn't what happened to you (you might check out some other sites using the same domain as yours, if there are any). That might give one clue. Good luck.

Here's another thread. Looks like you're not the only one!

Very interesting blog:

I'm a bit into languages, myself, but between the gym, the markets, helping the family, school and two late-night/early-morning shifts at the UPS packaging center (10 PM to 3 AM and 3:30 AM to 8:30 AM) I'm having trouble finding the time.

I've have English and Thai down pretty well and I'm working on Japanese, but ultimately, I'd also like to know Mandarin, German and Arabic, respectively.

I burned USD 300 on a copy of Rosetta Stone, but was disappointed to find that it didn't really work for me, or anyone I lent it to. I suppose time and practice will help.

Maybe I'll listen in to your Podcasts if I can find the time =)