Korat Immigration Office - Excellent Service

Hi

Went to Korat Immigration Office this morning to get an extension of my Non-Immigrant Visa. Had a choice of marriage or retirement so went loaded up with paperwork. Chose the retirement option and left in less than 30 min with my visa extension.

I needed to provide : Income letter from British Embassy, copy of passport,1 photo, copy of marriage certificate, copy of house registration , copy of departure card from passport and wife's ID card. Showed originals too including supporting documentation for Embassy Letter. Was surprised to be asked for a bank book showing recent transactions but luckily had a Nationwide statement showing withdrawals in Thailand, which was sufficient.

Had overstayed my visa by a day but got no grief and the guy that dealt with it was friendly and efficient.

From some of the comments I've seen Korat has a good reputation and the service I received confirms that.

Nice one !

Keith

• 2 months later...
Udon-Nongkhai~50Km,Udon-Khorat~300Km,and the diesel price rising daily.

I'm stuck with b***** NongKhai! :o

Try the bus - it is much cheaper than driving, and probably more pleasant. Also the third class train goes Udon-Korat from around noon to around seven PM.. it is extremely charming, scenic, and cheap, but of course only for the hardy.

What I'm wondering is, where is the immigration office in Korat?

Sorry to say Lite Beer but Korat Immigation office is terrible. Firstly it too far out of town. Why ? Secondly I, and my Thai wife, think the staff are extremely rude and ignorant. They haven't been to me but I see them being so to others. I don't speak for just myself, and wife, on this as all the farang that I know don't or wont use there. They either go to Kap Cheong or Aranyapatet (excuse the spelling). The people in Korat were originally in Kap Cheong. They had the same attitude there. Kap Cheong is now the place to go.

Sorry to say Lite Beer but Korat Immigation office is terrible. Firstly it too far out of town. Why ? Secondly I, and my Thai wife, think the staff are extremely rude and ignorant. They haven't been to me but I see them being so to others. I don't speak for just myself, and wife, on this as all the farang that I know don't or wont use there. They either go to Kap Cheong or Aranyapatet (excuse the spelling). The people in Korat were originally in Kap Cheong. They had the same attitude there. Kap Cheong is now the place to go.

You do seem to have a bit of a grudge about them over recent months.

Every one else seems happy to go there. I actually look forward to it . Unlike where I lived before .

(Samui)

Try the bus - it is much cheaper than driving, and probably more pleasant. Also the third class train goes Udon-Korat from around noon to around seven PM.. it is extremely charming, scenic, and cheap, but of course only for the hardy.

May be I could have thought the endless ricefields of Isaan charming.In another life. :D

Now thinking about a 7 hours journey in a third class compartment,or a 5 hours in the b***** bus make me shudder;and the overnighting and return trip!

Hope you are joking! :o

You do seem to have a bit of a grudge about them over recent months.

Every one else seems happy to go there. I actually look forward to it . Unlike where I lived before .

(Samui)

Not just me, as I've stated. It's not just over recent months but years. They couldn't be civil to you unless they were getting a back hander. God know the amount of times I've seen the hand over of 2,000 Baht for a 1,900 Baht fee only for them to say "we haven't got change". 100 Baht is very little but times that by thousands .............Works every time. I'll stop there as I don't want to get into this too deep. Your choice of Immigration Office but Korat doesn't cut it for me.

I wonder what makes the difference?
The difference is, I live between Korat, Aranyapatet(excuse the spelling) And Kap Cheong. I therefore have a choice of 3 venues. I pick the best. The same goes for the other farang that live locally. None that I know, go to Korat unless they have no choice. I will use Korat soon due to Kap Cheong wont issue the visa that I require. Their advice was to use Korat and that is the only reason why I'm going there.

On the main Highway to Bangkok.

Good lord that's a hel_l of a long way from the actual town. How do you get out there? Get on a Bangkok bound bus and ask them to stop?

It is a long way out of Korat. Make no mistake about that. Thai Immigration make things as awkward for farang as possible.

I have no qualms as to believing this will not be deleted but I believe in free speach. Something TV doesn't. I dare you to show this ?

Its hardly that far coventry, it's certainly easier than going to another city which is what we had to do b4 they opened one here in Korat.

I have always had good service there but this reminds me of a related story. I know a guy who used to live in the House that I live in now. He had trouble with the neighbors but since I've been here they've been great. He now tells me he's having trouble with the neighbors in his new house. It makes me think that maybe he just has problems with neighbors whereever he goes.

One does have to play in cool with Immigration but if you do that I think that they'll generally play it cool with you back.

My experience in two visits from Khon Kaen and 90 postal reporting with Korat Imm. is as Lite Beer and others have said. I too have found that the service is excellent and consistency in requirement high.

I went last only last August and was given speedy and polite efficient service and WITHOUT any Back hander request or even hint of one, SO on MY recent experience Coventry's blanket suggestion that service equates to back handers is inaccurate and unfair.

I agree the Korat Office is not centralised in Korat but in many countries this is not uncommon where cheaper rental space is sort and is often to be found on a towns/cities outskirts. It is not unique to Thai Imm. Offices.

Went to Korat Immigration Office this morning to get an extension of my Non-Immigrant Visa. Had a choice of marriage or retirement so went loaded up with paperwork. Chose the retirement option and left in less than 30 min with my visa extension.

I needed to provide : Income letter from British Embassy, copy of passport,1 photo, copy of marriage certificate, copy of house registration , copy of departure card from passport and wife's ID card. Showed originals too including supporting documentation for Embassy Letter. Was surprised to be asked for a bank book showing recent transactions but luckily had a Nationwide statement showing withdrawals in Thailand, which was sufficient.

Had overstayed my visa by a day but got no grief and the guy that dealt with it was friendly and efficient.

From some of the comments I've seen Korat has a good reputation and the service I received confirms that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living in Khon Kaen, I have used Korat office for several years since they opened near bus station and then moved to

TOT Building at Wat Ban Mai. ALWAYS polite, efficient, no hassle with the financial part ( fees schedule followed 100% ).

To me : they are the best !

Saved me a lot of grief ( and a lot of time/money) compared to Nong Khai or even Suan Phlu.

So Christmas is coming and since I am due for my RENEWAL ( Retirement - plus Multi re-entry ) that's 1900 plus 3800

total 5700 Baht.

Folks, as is the custom in the WEST, I am happy to drop a bottle for the festive season !!

If any of you are not happy, try to think the reason WHY ? Maybe your shirt/pant is dirty & stinked like you just

wake up in the garbage dump. Or your attitude offend the Thai manners. Arrogance, loud mouth & bad attitude

will NOT be tolerated, they are not there to cater to your shitty attitude, so be polite.

Don't like Korat ? Please go to Nong Khai or Suan Phlu where you can pop a vein or two.

VERY Happy with Korat / kg1947.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 year later...

:D

I go by bus (about 1 Bath/Km). To go Surin it's close cross road 224/24. It's takes me 3 hours to go and 2 mn for stamp of residency control!
Udon-Nongkhai~50Km,Udon-Khorat~300Km,and the diesel price rising daily.

I'm stuck with b***** NongKhai! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It moved a month or two ago. Coogle map here. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...amp;t=h&z=6

I guess I just missed the move then...I was last at Northeast Immigration 18 August 2009...at the old location.

Now that I think about it...the wife might have mentioned something, K. Whiteout said something about their office moving.