Us And Thai Passport

hello all,

I am a US citizen and have lived in US all my life. I also have a thai citizenship through my parents (or something), so I have a thai passport, id card, driver's license.. blahblahblah.. I've been here in thailand for about two months now.

anyway, so when I first came here (NY-BKK), I used my US passport in NY airport.. and when I got to bkk, I used my Thai passport. I had no problems. I have a round trip open end return ticket.

I plan on taking a short trip back to the states.. and in the bkk airport I use my thai passport.. they are going to ask for a visa, then I will show them my US passport and supposedly they'll let me through.. and in NY, I will use my US passport.

is this even LEGAL????? it sounds so fishy to me. but my parents and everyone says it should be fine but I'm SO NERVOUS.

when I get to NY aren't they aren't they going to see that my US passport wasn't stamped in the Thai airport?? don't they KNOW that I've been in thailand for 2 months based on my plane ticket with no visa? if they ask me weird questions in NY, is it OK to tell them that I have a thai passport??

sigh.

hello all,

I am a US citizen and have lived in US all my life.  I also have a thai citizenship through my parents (or something), so I have a thai passport, id card, driver's license.. blahblahblah.. I've been here in thailand for about two months now.

anyway, so when I first came here (NY-BKK), I used my US passport in NY airport.. and when I got to bkk, I used my Thai passport.  I had no problems.  I have a round trip open end return ticket.

I plan on taking a short trip back to the states.. and in the bkk airport I use my thai passport.. they are going to ask for a visa, then I will show them my US passport and supposedly they'll let me through.. and in NY, I will use my US passport.

is this even LEGAL?????  it sounds so fishy to me.  but my parents and everyone says it should be fine but I'm SO NERVOUS.

when I get to NY aren't they aren't they going to see that my US passport wasn't stamped in the Thai airport??  don't they KNOW that I've been in thailand for 2 months based on my plane ticket with no visa?  if they ask me weird questions in NY, is it OK to tell them that I have a thai passport??

sigh.

You will have no problems whatsoever. There are thousands and thousands of people with dual Thai-US nationality who travel into/out of Thailand on their Thai passports and into/out of the US on their US passports. It is no problem to either country.

you should do a search on this site, this topic has been discussed to death.

It is not illegal under Thai and US law to have dual nationality.

When you check in at Don Muang, show the airline checkin people both your Thai and US passports. It proves to them that you don't need a visa for the US. Ask the check in for a TM form (Bai Dor Mor - departure card for your Thai PP). Fill it in

Get to immigration, show your Thai PP, departure card and boarding pass and get stamped out.

Get to Us and show your US passport. Many counrties don't stamp you in and out anymore, so the US immigration wont care. I have dual Australian and thai passports and have never had any problems travelling between Thailand and the US 'swapping' passports.

Repeat in reverse on the way back.