How To Start A Business In Thailand?

I want to open a coffee shop type business in Thailand. What do I need to know? Do I need to invest a certain amount in the bank? Whats the best course to do this (if its even possible)?

I know its been asked before but I searched the forums and couldnt find it for some reason. Can somoene just give a brief summary of a few things I need to be aware of.

I want to open a coffee shop type business in Thailand. What do I need to know? Do I need to invest a certain amount in the bank? Whats the best course to do this (if its even possible)?

I know its been asked before but I searched the forums and couldnt find it for some reason. Can somoene just give a brief summary of a few things I need to be aware of.

:o

Starting a business in Thailand is much like starting a business in other countries. You need to know a lot about the area, the market for your product, the product you want to sell, and the potential of the location you want to start your business in. The exact same thing applies in London, Los Angeles, or Tokyo.

Certain things you need to consider about Thailand are the suitability of the product to the Local market. Would you really expect to sell real Hungarian food to Thais, especially in a poorer section of Bangkok? I tried to give some information to a person here a few months back who wanted to start a "real mexican food" business in Thailand. He expected to hire Thai cooks to do his "real Mexiacan food". How easy woud it be to find trained Mexican food chefs, even in Bangkok?

The biggest problem,the reason why 4/5ths (yes 80%) of most new businesses fail in the first three years is that the persons who started that business has not done a complete and full analysis of the market and the profit potential of the area they intend to start the business.

For your coffee shop...you need to consider the location very carefully. If you start a coffee shop in a block with 5 or 6 other shops near by...then what will make your coffee shop stand out above the others near by? Why would anyone want to come to your coffee shop, instead of the one next door?

Anyhow, you get the idea.

Common sense, and a critical and careful judgement about the profit potential for your proposed business are the key. In Thailand or anywhere else.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Opening a coffee shop is about the last thing that anyone who needs to make a profit should consider. The place is SWAMPED with them.

Where were you coffee shop losers back when we were looking for just one decent place for fresh coffee about 15 years ago? :o

Thanks for the replies everybody. Its not actually a coffee shop, that was just an example for what I really want to do. I just wanted to know the legal requirements, not how I can be successful at a business. There are subway franchises everywhere too but majority are successful so that doesnt really matter. Thanks

There are subway franchises everywhere too but majority are successful so that doesnt really matter.

In the most expensive parts of Bangkok you might be right, but try putting two Subways on the same block in Chiang Mai. :o