Retirement Visa

I'm about ready to go and get my visa as a retiree. I just wanna review this to make sure I've got things lined up.

I'm here (Hua Hin) now on a tourist visa. I'm presently transferring US $20K (800Kbaht) to my bank here. Then I'll get a letter from the bank that this came in from overseas.

I'll get a health certificate from a local clinic. I've been told this is 200 baht and no hassle.

Then I'll go to BKK, put on nice clothes and show up early on the 4th floor of the Immigration building. Smile, be patient and positive, and (hopefully) leave with the first 90 days of my new visa, and picking up mutiple-entry stamp while I'm there.

Do I have this right? Any new requirements or hoops to jump through? Have I missed anything?

Thanks!

I'm about ready to go and get my visa as a retiree.Β  I just wanna review this to make sure I've got things lined up.

I'm here (Hua Hin) now on a tourist visa. I'm presently transferring US $20K (800Kbaht) to my bank here. Then I'll get a letter from the bank that this came in from overseas.

I'll get a health certificate from a local clinic. I've been told this is 200 baht and no hassle.

Then I'll go to BKK, put on nice clothes and show up early on the 4th floor of the Immigration building. Smile, be patient and positive, and (hopefully) leave with the first 90 days of my new visa, and picking up mutiple-entry stamp while I'm there.

Do I have this right? Any new requirements or hoops to jump through? Have I missed anything?

Thanks!

That's about it at any Immigration Office. You can start the process for a one year extension at the same time. Ensure that the bank letter is not more than 7 days old.

You should have a 60 day tourist visa? If so I believe your first stop is room 301 to change to an O type visa. Not sure if you get a 90 day stay and process later or go immediately down to front and fill out a TM.7 extension request and process now for a one year stay.

You should plan to have the bank letter (and believe wire transfer receipts that bank can copy for you as letter normally only gives balance information) and passbook/statement plus signed copies and signed copies of your passport/pages. Two 4x6 cm passport photos. Fee for extension (one year stay) will be 1,900 and multi re-entry permit 3,800 baht. If they say come back in 60 days to apply for extension you have to decide if you want the multi re-entry - single - or none. It only lasts until your current entry is scheduled to end.

I'm about ready to go and get my visa as a retiree.Β  I just wanna review this to make sure I've got things lined up.

Thanks!

That's about it at any Immigration Office. You can start the process for a one year extension at the same time. Ensure that the bank letter is not more than 7 days old.

That all seems to be pretty straight forward. I am still working in Afghanistan as an aid worker but my girl and I own our home in Buri Ram and I plan to retire in about 6 months.

What I need some advice on is how to open a bank account. I go into Thailand every 8 weeks on R & R on a tourist visa. I have tried to open a bank account but banks all advise that I need more than a tourist visa to do so. How do I open an account in order to get my Bt800,000 recognised. any one can help me on this.

That all seems to be pretty straight forward. I am still working in Afghanistan as an aid worker but my girl and I own our home in Buri Ram and I plan to retire in about 6 months.

What I need some advice on is how to open a bank account. I go into Thailand every 8 weeks on R & R on a tourist visa. I have tried to open a bank account but banks all advise that I need more than a tourist visa to do so. How do I open an account in order to get my Bt800,000 recognised. any one can help me on this.

You should be able to open an account with a tourist visa but you probably do not have one. The entry for 30 day stamp from immigration is not a visa. Make a side trip to a Thai Consulate in India or Malaysia and obtain a real tourist visa valid for 60 day stay. You will probably also need a proof of address, such as a letter from your Embassy. Bangkok Bank now lists this as the only requirement on web site so should be available from all branches. If not just walk around a bit and you should be able to find one to take your money. It has been very hit and miss (and mostly miss for non visa entry). Keep :o

You should be able to open an account with a tourist visa but you probably do not have one. The entry for 30 day stamp from immigration is not a visa. Make a side trip to a Thai Consulate in India or Malaysia and obtain a real tourist visa valid for 60 day stay. You will probably also need a proof of address, such as a letter from your Embassy. Bangkok Bank now lists this as the only requirement on web site so should be available from all branches. If not just walk around a bit and you should be able to find one to take your money. It has been very hit and miss (and mostly miss for non visa entry). Keep :o

Thank you lopburi3. I did not realise that 30 day stamp was not a visa. Will follow your advice and go on next leave thru Islamabad and get visa. Cheers

Thanks!

I have tried to open a bank account but banks all advise that I need more than a tourist visa to do so. How do I open an account in order to get my Bt800,000 recognised. any one can help me on this.

When you apply you need 3 financial documents:

1, Exchange cert from the bank showing the money came from overseas.

You may have to hassle the aThai bank for this, but they do have it.

Make sure your overseas bank sends foreign currency.

2. Letter from you Thai bank confirming the account balance. Not more than 1 week old.

3. Photocopy of your bank book. Have the original ready as well, just in case.

Shop around the banks.

Some will allow you to open an account on a Tourist visa.

You do not need to show the money immediately.

Get a Non Imm O visa next time you visit, after 2 months get the money in the

account and appply for the extension.

If you need to travel you will need a re-entry permit at this time, and

also need to be back a month later as you will get an "under consideration" stamp for one month.

I'm hoping to open a bank account in anticipation of my retirement to Thailand next year but I will only have a 30 day entry stamp in my passport.

If I can't open an account, no matter - it will just have to wait till I come over in June to find somewhere to stay - probably on a multi-entry non-immigrant O visa.

Alan

I'm hoping to open a bank account in anticipation of my retirement to Thailand next year but I will only have a 30 day entry stamp in my passport.

If I can't open an account, no matter - it will just have to wait till I come over in June to find somewhere to stay - probably on a multi-entry non-immigrant O visa.

Alan

Why not obtain a tourist visa for your trip next year? It is not that expensive and then you should have no trouble opening a bank account.