Sharecropping

We've decided we're going to let one of the locals farm our 17 rai of paddy this year. We grow rice for our own use on other land and will continue to do that ourselves. If the sharecropper is responsible for all his own expenses of cultivation, planting and harvesting, what would be an appropriate percentage of the crop to receive as landholder? I've heard widely varying figures, so TIA for your replies.

No farmers know this one? It seems a pretty regular occurrence but situations and percentages seem to vary alot. Mind asking your wives for me? I think they'll know. Thanks.

I think the normal rate here is 60 - 40. The 60 going to the farmer. threshing expense is paid for with rice so that portion of the expense is shared.

There are several different ways to do it but that way is common up here.

No farmers know this one? It seems a pretty regular occurrence but situations and percentages seem to vary alot. Mind asking your wives for me? I think they'll know. Thanks.

I think the normal rate here is 60 - 40. The 60 going to the farmer. threshing expense is paid for with rice so that portion of the expense is shared.

There are several different ways to do it but that way is common up here.

Thanks for your reply Gary. And that would be with the farmer paying for all other costs save for threshing? The paddies are in good shape so no unusual expenses and we'll let him grow soybeans in the off season thrown in.

The reason I ask is the local puyai barn is trying to tell me that 10%-15% is customary and that just seems too low to me.

My wife's father has 20 rai and gets is 1/3 for him 2/3 for the farmer or 1 bag of rice to him and two bags to the farmer. Threshing is the same as mentioned above and paid by each of them for their share. All expenses are supposed to be handled by the farmer but he did have to help with fertilizer last year as the farmer could not afford it. This is sticky rice and is in Loei Province.

Keg

My wife's father has 20 rai and gets is 1/3 for him 2/3 for the farmer or 1 bag of rice to him and two bags to the farmer. Threshing is the same as mentioned above and paid by each of them for their share. All expenses are supposed to be handled by the farmer but he did have to help with fertilizer last year as the farmer could not afford it. This is sticky rice and is in Loei Province.

Keg

There was a company in Nongkhai that did the same deal as above on about 2,500 rai of land. But in this case I am sure the Thai Co wouldn't have given any free fertilizer away!!!!

1 bag in 3 goes to the owner around here. However comma, I am planting rice on 32 extra rai this year and paid 11,000 baht in advance instead of rice. This is good land and I am gambling that rice prices will stay up and we will make more off of rice. (We farmed 11 of these rai last year and made over 80 bags off of it, so that's 25+ bags, considerably more than the 4000 baht we paid for rent.)