Toyota Yaris

JOHN2

Well if you seriously think that there will be enough space for the baby and all the other stuff you are going to bring with you, go for the Yaris. I have always said that it is a very good car but there are certain issues with the space.

I had one and I dont have a baby but even for the sunday shopping I had to lay down the seat, but hey, dont listen to me, if you like the Yaris, buy one...

If you really think that the new Jazz is so ugly, dont buy it... You have to be happy too... I just came up with a suggestion...

Would you ever consider the Vios? much more space in the back...

PS. Having driven both the Yaris and the Jazz with a heavy foot I would say that the Jazz is a lot faster in top speed but from 0-100 I guess they are the same...

I will stand by my first statement and say that I love my Jazz and everyone that does not are morons :-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest i'm a bit puzzled by this lack of space issue,as i said one poster has already said it is perfect for his wife and kid, so is he talking rubbish?? We are speaking about one very small child, how much space do you need for that?? You are basically saying that the Yaris is only worth buyng if there is a max 2 persons in the car? That's nonsence.

We have 3 (1 in toddler seat) boys and my wife has no problems carting them around in the Yaris + she can not pass up anything in the markets without buying it. She is happy with the space, that may change as we have another baby due in August = 3 boys + 1 girl yikes. Hmmm maybe I need to sell a Yaris LOL. TBH though we have a 2 month old Fortuner for long family trips but that is because there will be 6 of us soon including 2 car seats. Another plus about the Yaris if your wife will be driving (yes sexist comment) is the tight turning radius. Makes parking in the city much easier for my wife. The Jazz of 2 years ago couldn't compete in that department however I don't know about the new Jazz.

Edited by Sakeopete

I'm not sure about Thailand but in North America cars have/had a higher crash safety rating than SUVs or Trucks because they are classed as people carriers where trucks are considered commercial vehicles. However the standards on Thai built vehicles for the domestic market are lower than those abroad so size may be the only factor in a crash.

If you get hit by a bus or lorry, it doesn't matter what you drive, IT WILL HURT!

By what you like and be happy with it.

THE JAZZ RULES

For sure its going to hurt (maybe), but more chances of surviving in a bigger car.

Lets just say, if I had a crash in my X5, I'm sure its safer than having a crash in a yaris.

Anyway, buy whatever you like, but keep in mind the safety of your family.

John, I see you made a new topic about buying a new style toyota vios, thinking twice about a yaris?

If you get hit by a bus or lorry, it doesn't matter what you drive, IT WILL HURT!

THE JAZZ RULES

For sure its going to hurt (maybe), but more chances of surviving in a bigger car.

Lets just say, if I had a crash in my X5, I'm sure its safer than having a crash in a yaris.

John, I see you made a new topic about buying a new style toyota vios, thinking twice about a yaris?

Ok,so you have 3 kids in the Yaris but some are saying it's too small even for just one child!!

Chatsboy - if everyone had that attitude there wouldn't be a single small car on the road so i won't be basing my decision on that negative view of things.

Somebody else suggested the Vios so i thought i would get some opinions on it,one guy said it was a 'piece of junk' I have looked at it and again i don't really like the look of it,it's like an accountants car,maybe i'm a pretentious s*d but i'm not paying 10k STLG+ for a motor i don't like the look of and i know the wife won't like it either and ultimately the car is for her.

THE JAZZ RULES

Ok,so you have 3 kids in the Yaris but some are saying it's too small even for just one child!!

Chatsboy - if everyone had that attitude there wouldn't be a single small car on the road so i won't be basing my decision on that negative view of things.

Somebody else suggested the Vios so i thought i would get some opinions on it,one guy said it was a 'piece of junk' I have looked at it and again i don't really like the look of it,it's like an accountants car,maybe i'm a pretentious s*d but i'm not paying 10k STLG+ for a motor i don't like the look of and i know the wife won't like it either and ultimately the car is for her.

what attidute? I'm just thinking of the safety as you have a family, but obviously you don't see what I'm trying to say.

Most the people I see or know driving a yaris are young students, women or gay, so there would still be plenty of small cars on the road.

oh and I'm being negative? because I'm thinking about safety of you and your family if the worst should happen - such as a crash.

oh well, I'll keep my thoughts and advise to myself.

Just so you know, I have no problem with small cars, some of them look pretty kool, like the yaris. They're cheap, easy and fun to drive around the city. I've drove small cars, but after driving around Thailand for a few years, seeing crazy driving and accidents, I decided I wanted something bigger for safety reasons.

I'm Sorry if you think I'm going off on a rant and that I keep mentioning about the safety, but its was only 8 months ago that my best friend died in a car crash. This happening, I guess it has made me respond like I have, as if this was over 8 months ago, I would have said something like " the yaris would be perfect for you and your family, a ideal little car blah blah blah ..... :o

THE JAZZ RULES

what attidute? I'm just thinking of the safety as you have a family, but obviously you don't see what I'm trying to say.

Most the people I see or know driving a yaris are young students, women or gay, so there would still be plenty of small cars on the road.

oh and I'm being negative? because I'm thinking about safety of you and your family if the worst should happen - such as a crash.

oh well, I'll keep my thoughts and advise to myself.

Just so you know, I have no problem with small cars, some of them look pretty kool, like the yaris. They're cheap, easy and fun to drive around the city. I've drove small cars, but after driving around Thailand for a few years, seeing crazy driving and accidents, I decided I wanted something bigger for safety reasons.

I'm Sorry if you think I'm going off on a rant and that I keep mentioning about the safety, but its was only 8 months ago that my best friend died in a car crash. This happening, I guess it has made me respond like I have, as if this was over 8 months ago, I would have said something like " the yaris would be perfect for you and your family, a ideal little car blah blah blah ..... :o

I know your comments were not bad and sorry about your best friend.

To be honest i'm not into cars never have been,i just don't want something that looks like my dad would drive,i'm not that old yet!!

What I meant with the not enough room in a Yaris is that you can get the kid in the back, you can get 3 large adults in the back with two in front, but what about all the "nick nacks" that a kid needs? trolley? Bags? Dipers? and throw is some suday shopping and you will see what I mean.

I got 4 golf bags into the back of my Jazz, I did not get one into the Yaris before I laid down the seat. If that is not a problem I dont know but for me it would be and hence I think the Yaris is to small...

The Yaris is a brilliant little car and I do think that if you get hit by a Pick up, there might be a big chance that the Yaris would come out of it very well compared to the pickup. It all depends on how the accident happens, hence an argument about what is the safest is not really interesting.

All cars are good and safe, its just that one day in that one accident you can feel it or see it.

What I meant with the not enough room in a Yaris is that you can get the kid in the back, you can get 3 large adults in the back with two in front, but what about all the "nick nacks" that a kid needs? trolley? Bags? Dipers? and throw is some suday shopping and you will see what I mean.

I got 4 golf bags into the back of my Jazz, I did not get one into the Yaris before I laid down the seat. If that is not a problem I dont know but for me it would be and hence I think the Yaris is to small...

The Yaris is a brilliant little car and I do think that if you get hit by a Pick up, there might be a big chance that the Yaris would come out of it very well compared to the pickup. It all depends on how the accident happens, hence an argument about what is the safest is not really interesting.

All cars are good and safe, its just that one day in that one accident you can feel it or see it.

You keep mentioning 'sunday shopping' but i don't go shopping on a sunday, or any other day.

Anyway back on topic,i was in a brand new Honda Civic yesterday WOW!! WOW!! It blew me away.It looks very cool and sporty BUT is a lot bigger than the Yaris,the inside is stunning all leather and a great looking dash,this has really turned my head,although it is more expensive off course, around 200k more than the top Yaris, but what a beautiful car!

To be honest i'm a bit puzzled by this lack of space issue,as i said one poster has already said it is perfect for his wife and kid, so is he talking rubbish?? We are speaking about one very small child, how much space do you need for that?? You are basically saying that the Yaris is only worth buyng if there is a max 2 persons in the car? That's nonsence.

The passenger compartment has enough space but the boot doesn't.

If it isn't big enough to fit in a set of golf clubs then what about a baby stroller / pushchair? Some luggage for the weekend at the beach? Shopping?

Anyway back on topic,i was in a brand new Honda Civic yesterday WOW!! WOW!! It blew me away.It looks very cool and sporty BUT is a lot bigger than the Yaris,the inside is stunning all leather and a great looking dash,this has really turned my head,although it is more expensive off course, around 200k more than the top Yaris, but what a beautiful car!

I think most of felt pretty wowed by the Civic when it came out. Can't speak for anyone else of course, but for me it very quickly lost its wow factor and by now looks pretty dated. That's not to say that i think it's a bad car or that i wouldn't have one, just that i'm surprised at how fast it has aged. Perhaps they'll give it a facelift soon and give it some sharper edges that will raise its game.

I think most of felt pretty wowed by the Civic when it came out. Can't speak for anyone else of course, but for me it very quickly lost its wow factor and by now looks pretty dated. That's not to say that i think it's a bad car or that i wouldn't have one, just that i'm surprised at how fast it has aged. Perhaps they'll give it a facelift soon and give it some sharper edges that will raise its game.

It looked nice enough to me!

What about the Ford Focus? What are the opinions on that?

The Focus is undoubtedly a great car. It hasn't won awards the world over without good reason. It's an excellent all-round package and a great driver's car to boot.

The reason why however i wouldn't buy one now in Thailand is that as with the Civic, but to a larger degree, it is becoming longer and longer in the tooth. A new version should arrive soon, that is if Ford Thailand continue trying to flog the things. The fact that they are supposed to be bringing the Fiesta here soon suggests they are pretty determined about breaking into the market, but the truth is so far they have had very limited success. Thais just aren't going for the brand name, which leads us to the second reason why you might want to think twice about buying a Focus - used prices drop like stones. Fine if you intend to buy and keep, but invariably most people sell on at some stage, and when you do, you'll notice a big difference between used Hondas and Toyotas compared to Fords.

The Focus is undoubtedly a great car. It hasn't won awards the world over without good reason. It's an excellent all-round package and a great driver's car to boot.

The reason why however i wouldn't buy one now in Thailand is that as with the Civic, but to a larger degree, it is becoming longer and longer in the tooth. A new version should arrive soon, that is if Ford Thailand continue trying to flog the things. The fact that they are supposed to be bringing the Fiesta here soon suggests they are pretty determined about breaking into the market, but the truth is so far they have had very limited success. Thais just aren't going for the brand name, which leads us to the second reason why you might want to think twice about buying a Focus - used prices drop like stones. Fine if you intend to buy and keep, but invariably most people sell on at some stage, and when you do, you'll notice a big difference between used Hondas and Toyotas compared to Fords.

The main reason I'd consider a focus would be for the 2.0 diesel version which gets pretty good fuel consumption (about 17km/l average). The main drawback would be the 6 speed gearbox, for driving around town in. And it's only in black also. Perhaps a tricked up version with a dsg gearbox would be more popular here.

Some years ago I had a meeting with Toyota managers and chief engineers to discuss the equipment they wanted to buy from me. They of course asked me what car I had.

I had a soluna at that time and told them that..they asked me the hel_l I would buy such a bad car?????? I asked them if they were so bad why did they make them. They just replied if you want a good and safe car buy a big one.

I followed their advise and bought a 5 serie.

The main reason I'd consider a focus would be for the 2.0 diesel version which gets pretty good fuel consumption (about 17km/l average). The main drawback would be the 6 speed gearbox, for driving around town in. And it's only in black also. Perhaps a tricked up version with a dsg gearbox would be more popular here.

But why pay 6 Baht per more for the fuel when a petrol driven manual Vios will give you the same mileage?

You save money on the cost of the car AND the fuel. (and no doubt servicing, spares, insurance etc.)

I had driven one for a few days last week, it's an amazing run-around car, about ten years old and still doesn't miss a beat, happy to run and run and run.

Run, run, run is exactly what i'd be doing if faced with driving a Soluna! Toyota should be ashamed at the way they continued year after year of foisting such an old and decrepit car on the Thai public. Thank goodness Thailand is now getting the cars it deserves, like most of the rest of the world.

The best thing one could say about the Soluna was that is was functional.

I agree, the Yaris is a brilliant little car, but if you buy a car because you are expecting a little one you do need to think about space too... Yes the yaris is large when you put the seats down... But where do you stash the wife, or kid when they are down...

I am just saying that the Jazz might be a better option because you can have more baby stuff with you when you go out...

As I said, think of what you need, if you buy it for the baby...

If you just want a Yaris, go for it, nice cars but not as good as the Jazz (I have had both, my Yaris for one year, my jazz for almost 2 months)

But again, buy what you like, buy what YOU like... but don't tell me I did not warn you.

I bought a Yaris. Would you really go out on Thai roads without a SPARE wheel??? :o - 'cause the new Honda Jazz has no spare wheel - that's why there's more space.

I have driven more than 100.000Km here in thailand for the last 4 years, I have NEVER had a flat tire... Besides, new technology allows you to bring repair sets with you...

I dont even care as I know phonenumbers to call... Thais are very friendly when it comes to helping people that need it...

But why pay 6 Baht per more for the fuel when a petrol driven manual Vios will give you the same mileage?

You save money on the cost of the car AND the fuel. (and no doubt servicing, spares, insurance etc.)

The vios can return 17km/l mixed driving and up to 23km/l on the freeway? Anyway it's apples and oranges. The diesel would cost more to put in (and the car cost more at the start) but you got 140 hp and buckets of torque compared to 109hp of the vios. Anyway its a moot point as I probably will never own either hehe. Probably would convert to gas when CNG becomes more common (or buy a cng car when more manufacturers start producing them.

I have driven more than 100.000Km here in thailand for the last 4 years, I have NEVER had a flat tire... Besides, new technology allows you to bring repair sets with you...

I dont even care as I know phonenumbers to call... Thais are very friendly when it comes to helping people that need it...

Snowflake have you calculated your fuel consumption yet for your jazz? interested to know. Do you know if you get the new jazz with a manual gearbox with abs/srs? Probably just the auto though..