Is It Just Me Of The Food Prices Went Up Recently?

Lorin

I dont know if that is due to change in my shopping habits, but my bills in Foodland went up at least few hundred baht every time I'm shopping in the last 2 weeks. Did their prices changed?

A few baht here and few baht there on various items. Perhaps you got caught with a few imported items that jumped up significantly. I've seen imported items jump by 100 baht or more on occasion. This is when I switch products.

I dont know if that is due to change in my shopping habits, but my bills in Foodland went up at least few hundred baht every time I'm shopping in the last 2 weeks. Did their prices changed?

Welcome to the magic world called: INFLATION........

It's everywhere, worldwide and spreading fast... :o

Nothing you can do about it apart from changing your buying/consuming habits.

LaoPo

God does have a sense of humor, doesn't he? The world is massively overweight, childhood obesity epidemic, and the price of food is raised to promote positive eating behaviors. Just spend what you always spent and watch the weight fall off! Happy days are here again!

Yup its all over - I noticed my family size black pepper roated chicken went for 9 dollars ro 11 dollars here in Singapore - still a bargain though and I still eat very well for very little money and most of this is outside the home.

Thai food at restaurants has been steady but I have noticed the Farang Fare inching it's way ever higher.

On the other hand, on my last trip to Foodland in Bangkok, French butter was at the same price as local butter :o

Yup its all over - I noticed my family size black pepper roasted chicken went for 9 dollars ro 11 dollars here in Singapore - still a bargain though and I still eat very well for very little money and most of this is outside the home.

That's the point; people better learn to THINK in percentages, rather than numbers.

In your chicken case it's an enormous price inflation of 22,2%.

If you had an increase the same percentage in salary or income, of course you have no problem.

But...did you ?

LaoPo

Thai food at restaurants has been steady but I have noticed the Farang Fare inching it's way ever higher.

In Singapore the hawkers etc have been absorbing the price increases as a whole up to now - this can not last though

In the wilds of Baan Mabprachan my meals have gone from 25B to 30B, the songtow from Pong to Nakleua has gone from 25 to 30B.

As for the things my shop, well, they have mostly stayed the same due to better buying. :o There will be price rises soon, the business section of the Bangkok Post reported that Coke are not impressed about not being allowed to increase prices, so it is coming.

In Singapore the hawkers etc have been absorbing the price increases as a whole up to now - this can not last though

In the wilds of Baan Mabprachan my meals have gone from 25B to 30B, the songtow from Pong to Nakleua has gone from 25 to 30B.

As for the things my shop, well, they have mostly stayed the same due to better buying. :o There will be price rises soon, the business section of the Bangkok Post reported that Coke are not impressed about not being allowed to increase prices, so it is coming.

Inflation is running at about 22% in Cambodia.

Cheers Tony

I don't understand why it could be "just you" when everyone else would be charged the same prices for the same items that you bought. Are you typically charged more than everyone else whenever you buy something?

Prices of Thai food is also going up..

For example, Chicken White Rice (Khao Man Gai) used to be 20 baht when I first came here. Now, its 30 baht. Recently, we have noticed that the amount of meat in Thai food has dropped, due to the prices raising.

For example, Chicken White Rice (Khao Man Gai) used to be 20 baht when I first came here. Now, its 30 baht. Recently, we have noticed that the amount of meat in Thai food has dropped, due to the prices raising.

I thought you didn't count pennies?

Lorin, it changed long before the last 2 weeks

7 years ago i paid about 5000 for a weekly shop at Foodland, now its nearer 10,000

Thai fuel transport costs have tripled in the same time so i guess its logical the food costs will have risen to pay for it

i cannot imagine what the same shopping list would cost in UK now........

Is It Just Me Of The Food Prices Went Up Recently?, Paying more in Foodland

The price of everything has risen. If only you are going up you are standing on an escalator or in a lift (elevator). :o

And you say Im the one who can't let it go.. Sheesh, Tropo, Are you searching for my posts or something?! Everything I say, you have to post a reply... :o Are you getting obsessed or something?

Whether I count my pennies or not, The OP is asking if others are experiencing rising prices. I noticed that thai food had gone up, so I posted a reply... Is this illegal? Oh boy, you really need to get over me already!

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Lorin, it changed long before the last 2 weeks

7 years ago i paid about 5000 for a weekly shop at Foodland, now its nearer 10,000

Thai fuel transport costs have tripled in the same time so i guess its logical the food costs will have risen to pay for it

i cannot imagine what the same shopping list would cost in UK now........

Are you feeding the village at 10k? :o

I am only shopping for myself and eat out a lot but I find it hard to spend the equivalent of 4000THB a week in Singapore and I really do not scrimp on what ibuy including the imported fruit which can be expensive.

Prices have gone up here as well though a lot in the last two years - almost 4 dollars for a cooked roasted chicken.

In my local supermarket the other day the middle class Thai shoppers were simply standing aghast looking at the rice on pallets....they just couldn't come to terms with the new prices.......this is similar to the status of th potato in Ireland in the 19th century.....its more than a staple it's a fundamental part of Thai life......put this with the price of fuel and you have RAMPANT INFLATION.

staples are going up in price everywhere in the world and this is probably the most profound change in the world economy for years.....

In my local supermarket the other day the middle class Thai shoppers were simply standing aghast looking at the rice on pallets....they just couldn't come to terms with the new prices.......this is similar to the status of th potato in Ireland in the 19th century.....its more than a staple it's a fundamental part of Thai life......put this with the price of fuel and you have RAMPANT INFLATION.

staples are going up in price everywhere in the world and this is probably the most profound change in the world economy for years.....

I must disagree with your comparison to the Irish potato famine. The reason why millions died in Ireland was because a disease had infected the potato crop and potatoes were just not available. Rice is still available in Thailand but the effects of rising production costs has pushed up the price of rice along with other products.

I never actually looked at the price of the food when shopping, just buy what I need/want and the total was like 900-1200 baht maximum per one time. I dont believe I changed much the products I buy, but now I pay 1800-2000+ baht every time. I posted to ask if the prices changed, cause maybe other members did check and compared the prices before and now.

I don't understand why it could be "just you" when everyone else would be charged the same prices for the same items that you bought. Are you typically charged more than everyone else whenever you buy something?

I must disagree with your comparison to the Irish potato famine. The reason why millions died in Ireland was because a disease had infected the potato crop and potatoes were just not available. Rice is still available in Thailand but the effects of rising production costs has pushed up the price of rice along with other products.

Now read what I said......I was referring to the STATUS of the potato as a staple.........I don't even mention famine

Edited by wilko

This from the "Grauniad" - UK ....

Food shortage – Bio fuels

Biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75% - far more than previously estimated - according to a confidential World Bank report obtained by the Guardian.

The damning unpublished assessment is based on the most detailed analysis of the crisis so far, carried out by an internationally-respected economist at global financial body.

The figure emphatically contradicts the US government's claims that plant-derived fuels contribute less than 3% to food-price rises. It will add to pressure on governments in Washington and across Europe, which have turned to plant-derived fuels to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and reduce their dependence on imported oil.

Senior development sources believe the report, completed in April, has not been published to avoid embarrassing President George Bush.

"It would put the World Bank in a political hot-spot with the White House," said one yesterday.

The news comes at a critical point in the world's negotiations on biofuels policy. Leaders of the G8 industrialised countries meet next week in Hokkaido, Japan, where they will discuss the food crisis and come under intense lobbying from campaigners calling for a moratorium on the use of plant-derived fuels.

It will also put pressure on the British government, which is due to release its own report on the impact of biofuels, the Gallagher Report. The Guardian has previously reported that the British study will state that plant fuels have played a "significant" part in pushing up food prices to record levels. Although it was expected last week, the report has still not been released.

"Political leaders seem intent on suppressing and ignoring the strong evidence that biofuels are a major factor in recent food price rises," said Robert Bailey, policy adviser at Oxfam. "It is imperative that we have the full picture. While politicians concentrate on keeping industry lobbies happy, people in poor countries cannot afford enough to eat."

Rising food prices have pushed 100m people worldwide below the poverty line, estimates the World Bank, and have sparked riots from Bangladesh to Egypt. Government ministers here have described higher food and fuel prices as "the first real economic crisis of globalisation".

President Bush has linked higher food prices to higher demand from India and China, but the leaked World Bank study disputes that: "Rapid income growth in developing countries has not led to large increases in global grain consumption and was not a major factor responsible for the large price increases."

Even successive droughts in Australia, calculates the report, have had a marginal impact. Instead, it argues that the EU and US drive for biofuels has had by far the biggest impact on food supply and prices.

Since April, all petrol and diesel in Britain has had to include 2.5% from biofuels. The EU has been considering raising that target to 10% by 2020, but is faced with mounting evidence that that will only push food prices higher.

"Without the increase in biofuels, global wheat and maize stocks would not have declined appreciably and price increases due to other factors would have been moderate," says the report. The basket of food prices examined in the study rose by 140% between 2002 and this February. The report estimates that higher energy and fertiliser prices accounted for an increase of only 15%, while biofuels have been responsible for a 75% jump over that period.

It argues that production of biofuels has distorted food markets in three main ways. First, it has diverted grain away from food for fuel, with over a third of US corn now used to produce ethanol and about half of vegetable oils in the EU going towards the production of biodiesel. Second, farmers have been encouraged to set land aside for biofuel production. Third, it has sparked financial speculation in grains, driving prices up higher.

Other reviews of the food crisis looked at it over a much longer period, or have not linked these three factors, and so arrived at smaller estimates of the impact from biofuels. But the report author, Don Mitchell, is a senior economist at the Bank and has done a detailed, month-by-month analysis of the surge in food prices, which allows much closer examination of the link between biofuels and food supply.

The report points out biofuels derived from sugarcane, which Brazil specializes in, have not had such a dramatic impact.

Supporters of biofuels argue that they are a greener alternative to relying on oil and other fossil fuels, but even that claim has been disputed by some experts, who argue that it does not apply to US production of ethanol from plants.

"It is clear that some biofuels have huge impacts on food prices," said Dr David King, the government's former chief scientific adviser, last night. "All we are doing by supporting these is subsidising higher food prices, while doing nothing to tackle climate change."

Edited by wilko

Yes you are right the potato in Ireland in the 19th century was very much the staple diet of the Irish and they mostly relied on it as their main source of food.

When it was no longer available due to a blight (a fungal type I believe) which was thought to have been transported in the hold of ships coming from America then many Irish people perished.

THanks for the history lesson...not needed though.

ill emphasise the point.....in the west we really don't rely so much on one staple any more....if wheat runns out there's potato and so on...in fact as a percentage of our diet any staple has taken a greatly reduced part........not so in Thailand where rice is still a very important staple even to the middle classes...so any change...price , supply etcis BIG news.

of course there are some laws of supply and demand gpoing on here and the above biofuel fiasco will account for some of the loss of supply and/or hike in price.

Edited by wilko

And you say Im the one who can't let it go.. Sheesh, Tropo, Are you searching for my posts or something?! Everything I say, you have to post a reply... :o Are you getting obsessed or something?

Whether I count my pennies or not, The OP is asking if others are experiencing rising prices. I noticed that thai food had gone up, so I posted a reply... Is this illegal? Oh boy, you really need to get over me already!

Sorry, I couldn't resist Mrs Meg2003.

Sorry, I couldn't resist Mrs Meg2003.

Even the bananas go up. :D