Best Pop Email Program, Now That Eudora Is Almost Gone

CosmicSurfer

I've been a loyal user of Eudora Pro almost since it's initial release.

I have Numourous Web-Based Email accounts, which I Never use, aside for HotMail which I use strictly as an Emergency Account or for when I'm sending Email, and I'm not at my personal computer.

I don't believe in Web-Based Email, as I'll never be satisfied about it being Hack-Proof, or always available, especially when I have no Net connection and I need to access some data or communication that is, therefore, only available on-line. I prefer having my data on my own Hard-drive.

And I DON'T Like FireFox.... Or Mozilla Based solutions. That's just the way it is. (I will admit to being intrigued by the new "SongBird" Music Jukebox program which has some connection to Mozilla.)

I should also mention that I own my own domains, and all my Mail is routed though to those servers, in USA.

I know that there other Very good POP Email programs out there, but I'm not sure which would be the best one for me, with the best development and Update history, etc.

There is another feature I would like it to have... One that is missing from Eudora, but that I would find very useful.... This is the ability to Right-click on an attachment, from within the Email and then save or move it to a Sub-Folder in the My Docs or My Pics Master folders.... Right now all Attachments are resident in the Attachments folder, but I must go into the folder to individual Sort and Move the files to a proper Folder to suit my personal needs. And as I'm a Lazy SOB, my attachment folders have 1000s of Files in them demanding my attention to reorganize... a job that has obviously remained an Extremely Low Priority.

Any suggestions for a replacement of Eudora would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always use Outlook. I know you don't like web based accounts, however I use G-Mail setup as multiple Pop3 accounts in Outlook. I think that G-Mail has one of the best SPAM filters out there. Used with Outlook, which is integrated with your anti-virus or internet security suite, I think it is the best of both worlds. Also with Outlook, you can right click on your attached files and save them to other folders. I also believe that you can go to the Gmail website and in personal preferences, you can select to have all of your messages deleted after downloading, but I'm not quite sure of this.

Pattayadavid

Windows Live Mail client. NOT the web version but the desktop application you can download from Microsoft.

Currently, I use WLM to hit 5 mail accounts. 1 Hotmail account, 2 Gmail accounts, 1 personal domain mail account, and 1 "other" mail account.

WLM looks and acts a lot like Outlook and since I am using the IMAP servers, I can bounce back between the two mail clients (or even have them both running at the same) time without worrying about messing up my mail.

Guest Reimar

Did you guys realize that Windows Live Mail is just the Replacement for Hotmail with all it bad features?!

I don't like to have an E-Mail Client which is sending Data back without permission.

You all should keep i mind that MS is collecting many data on various ways from the computer connecting via Internet to the (all) Websites of MS! And that's something I don't like!

Cheers.

I've been using Incredimail (premium) for a few years now. In general I have had good success with it and I like a number of things. I just downloaded "the Bat" for some comparison. Just a quick take.....Wondering what others think?

Incredimail: I can choose to download smaller mails first.

The Bat: Cannot see how to do this.

Incredimail: Can add "signature" to my outgoing mail.

Incredimail: Lots of letter "skins" and "smiley's".

The Bat: No letter skins (that I can see anyway), and very limited in the "smiley" area.

At the moment, this is only my first impression, but I will give The Bat a try and see.

Comments???

Edited by Ken

Guest Reimar
The Bat

Regards

I second that. I use The Bat for years and it's the best Client I had found for my requirements.

Cheers

Hi Reimar,

Is "The Bat" available in 64-bit version or is it at least compatible with Vista 64-bit?

Works well an 64 Bit Vista and Server 2008

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
I've been using Incredimail (premium) for a few years now. In general I have had good success with it and I like a number of things. I just downloaded "the Bat" for some comparison. Just a quick take.....Wondering what others think?

The Bat: No letter skins (that I can see anyway), and very limited in the "smiley" area.

At the moment, this is only my first impression, but I will give The Bat a try and see.

Comments???

Seems to be that you've to learn a lot.

But one thing, I use The Bat for my business for years and I don't want that fancy stuff on my business mails and even not on private. But I do understand that you like to download the small mails first because of the fancy and havey stuff.

And that's exactly why I didn't like Incredimail because of that things. I need to send messages via email and not movies or that stuff you talking about.

Cheers.

I don't like to have an E-Mail Client which is sending Data back without permission.

You all should keep i mind that MS is collecting many data on various ways from the computer connecting via Internet to the (all) Websites of MS!

First I have heard of this Reimer. What type of data is MS gathering from the my WLM application? Please provide more information / evidence. I will be the first to uninstall it if what you're saying is true.

[edited for punctuation.]

Edited by Rice_King

Comments???

But one thing, I use The Bat for my business for years and I don't want that fancy stuff on my business mails and even not on private. But I do understand that you like to download the small mails first because of the fancy and havey stuff.

And that's exactly why I didn't like Incredimail because of that things. I need to send messages via email and not movies or that stuff you talking about.

Cheers.

Ah ha. Indeed I have much to learn with The Bat. (Got 30 days free trial to see) I can't as yet get my mail off from Gmail using it. :D

And fair enough, perhaps The Bat is more "wonderful" if using it in more of a business environment. I'm not.

"Signature wise".....indeed I found the "template" thing, so I guess that would/could work to add my signature. :o

Though I wouldn't use GMail or Hotmail whatever it's called this week these Bat settings below should access Gmail with POP, assuming you've set it up within Gmail first.

Account properties -> Transport

Send mail

SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com

Connection - secure to dedicated port(TLS)

Port - 465

Authentication - check 'Perform SMTP..' and 'Same user/pass..', the rest should be unchecked

Receive mail

Mail server - pop.gmail.com

Port - 995

User - [email protected]

Authentication - regular

HTH

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Though I wouldn't use GMail or Hotmail whatever it's called this week these Bat settings below should access Gmail with POP, assuming you've set it up within Gmail first.

Account properties -> Transport

Send mail

SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com

Port - 465

Authentication - check 'Perform SMTP..' and 'Same user/pass..', the rest should be unchecked

Receive mail

Mail server - pop.gmail.com

Port - 995

User - [email protected]

Authentication - regular

HTH

Regards

Yep. Authentication regular did the "trick". For whatever reason when I set it up, it "defaulted" to one of the other "authentications". :o

Guest Reimar

Comments???

Cheers.

Ah ha. Indeed I have much to learn with The Bat. (Got 30 days free trial to see) I can't as yet get my mail off from Gmail using it. :D

And fair enough, perhaps The Bat is more "wonderful" if using it in more of a business environment. I'm not.

"Signature wise".....indeed I found the "template" thing, so I guess that would/could work to add my signature. :o

Have you ever think about how that human like your mail, special with slow connection?

I hate mails coming with that fancy stuff, not only why they need a lot more space/resources/speed etc. etc for downloading but even attacking my security system.

Maybe you don't need security but think about others?! I do not like to need to check at all times why some Mail is bounced, or go in the spam filter, recognized as virus pp.

That kind of mail is nothing but unsecure!

Cheers.

Have you ever think about how that human like your mail, special with slow connection?

I hate mails coming with that fancy stuff, not only why they need a lot more space/resources/speed etc. etc for downloading but even attacking my security system.

Maybe you don't need security but think about others?! I do not like to need to check at all times why some Mail is bounced, or go in the spam filter, recognized as virus pp.

Cheers.

For sure Reimer, I can't/won't disagree that the "fancy stuff" takes more resources, etc. I do agree also that The Bat looks like it would be a good "business email client" (at least observations so far).

I think I still like Incredimail for the personal stuff (and as stated, most all of my mail is personal). Don't or haven't seen any "security" issues using it (not to say there isn't any, just never gave me a problem). Oh yea, and my MOM likes it too! :o

Cheers.

Edited by Ken

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

For sure Reimer, I can't/won't disagree that the "fancy stuff" takes more resources, etc. I do agree also that The Bat looks like it would be a good "business email client" (at least observations so far).

I think I still like Incredimail for the personal stuff (and as stated, most all of my mail is personal). Don't or haven't seen any "security" issues using it (not to say there isn't any, just never gave me a problem). Oh yea, and my MOM likes it too! :o

Cheers.

Again may you should think a bit of others as well?!

More than 50% the mails coming to my mail server and get marked as unsecure, if they pass my AV system, are just mails like that from Incredi mail with special backgrounds and that "fancy" stuff.

For Mails like that I've set my Mail Server for to bounce back that mails, even if that mail is from friends. I do not let anyone compromise my system even not with that so named "false positive" stuff.

Think about it.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I think I still like Incredimail for the personal stuff (and as stated, most all of my mail is personal). Don't or haven't seen any "security" issues using it (not to say there isn't any, just never gave me a problem). Oh yea, and my MOM likes it too! :D

Cheers.

Again may you should think a bit of others as well?!

More than 50% the mails coming to my mail server and get marked as unsecure, if they pass my AV system, are just mails like that from Incredi mail with special backgrounds and that "fancy" stuff.

For Mails like that I've set my Mail Server for to bounce back that mails, even if that mail is from friends. I do not let anyone compromise my system even not with that so named "false positive" stuff.

Think about it.

Cheers.

Ok, I'll think about it. But I have many friends whom I send mail to their business/company email (from Incredimail), and not once in all these years has there been any hint of a complaint. Maybe they are too shy to complain. :o But really, it seems like you are taking some of the "fun" out of email. Not to worry. At least you have made me think about it. :D

Edited by Ken

Qualcomm ceased development of Eudora in @ 2006 and then offered a set of functions codenamed Penelope to add to Thunderbird. Since the OP is very specific about not wanting a Mozilla based client, guess that's the reason for the request for ideas, I was told that the upgrade path was also somewhat frustrating.

Believe the originator of Eudora is still part of the Penelope team.

Regards

I always use Outlook. I know you don't like web based accounts, however I use G-Mail setup as multiple Pop3 accounts in Outlook. I think that G-Mail has one of the best SPAM filters out there. Used with Outlook, which is integrated with your anti-virus or internet security suite, I think it is the best of both worlds. Also with Outlook, you can right click on your attached files and save them to other folders. I also believe that you can go to the Gmail website and in personal preferences, you can select to have all of your messages deleted after downloading, but I'm not quite sure of this.

Pattayadavid

Sorry, but I should have added Outlook and Outlook Express to my "NOT" list.... It's a Virus attack target, and even though I use Outlook as my PIM and Sync with my Palm Treo, I will never allow Oulook to have any ability to connect with the Internet.

For Spam, etc, Eudora was able to handle anything that managed to get through my Primary filter, which is MailWasher... I take care of all Spam Right at the Server Level. Nothing reaches my computer unless I approve it first.

Thanks anyway,

CS

The Bat

Regards

I will investigate The Bat.. I've heard about it before.

But how about my other requested Feature... Does The Bat handle attachments like this.. Or is this only a Dream???

There is another feature I would like it to have... One that is missing from Eudora, but that I would find very useful.... This is the ability to Right-click on an attachment, from within the Email and then save or move it to a Sub-Folder in the My Docs or My Pics Master folders.... Right now all Attachments are resident in the Attachments folder, but I must go into the folder to individual Sort and Move the files to a proper Folder to suit my personal needs. And as I'm a Lazy SOB, my attachment folders have 1000s of Files in them demanding my attention to reorganize... a job that has obviously remained an Extremely Low Priority.

Thanks for your suggestion,

CS