Viability Of Ranong

thecas

Basically, at the end of the year, I am planning to fly to ranong, get my visa run, then go to Nakorn si Tammarat to settle somethings.

The question in my mind now is whether ranong is a good choice. I chose it because it seems on the way since it is,contextually, not far from Nakorn and I can have my visa run done.

I have never been to Ranong and do not have a detailed map of ranong. I am thinking after going to ranong whether I will be able to go to a station somewhere(?) and get a bus which takes me to Nakorn Si tammarat.

You guys have a better option

Basically, at the end of the year, I am planning to fly to ranong, get my visa run, then go to Nakorn si Tammarat to settle somethings.

The question in my mind now is whether ranong is a good choice. I chose it because it seems on the way since it is,contextually, not far from Nakorn and I can have my visa run done.

I have never been to Ranong and do not have a detailed map of ranong. I am thinking after going to ranong whether I will be able to go to a station somewhere(?) and get a bus which takes me to Nakorn Si tammarat.

You guys have a better option

If it's only a border run you need, I think you'd be better off flying to Hatyai and doing the border run to Dan Nok (Sadoa) and then getting the bus/train back to Nakhon.

JMHO

:o

I agree, flight to Hat Yai then mini-van to the border. Mini-van from the border to Hat Yai then another mini-van to Nakhon (this should take 4 hours if your lucky)

Going Out arrow_right.gif Bangkok (BKK) to Hat Yai (HDY) 14 Aug 2008 FD 3133 Departs 1210 Arrives 1330 1566.48 BT

Mini-vans should be about 400 baht!! easy... :o

Edited by Tatler

I appreciata your comments, since I have not bought the tickets. Yes, I am going to start first at bangkok then to ranong or as it seems now hatyai then to nakorn si.

However, are you able to provide me the reasons for choosing Hat Yai instead? To me there are two reasons to choose Ranong

iT may be safer than Hat yai, since the south rebels have not quieten down.

From the map, it seems ranong is closer to nakorn si tammarat than hatyai's border with malaysia is.

I want the reasons. :o

I agree, flight to Hat Yai then mini-van to the border. Mini-van from the border to Hat Yai then another mini-van to Nakhon (this should take 4 hours if your lucky)

Going Out arrow_right.gif Bangkok (BKK) to Hat Yai (HDY) 14 Aug 2008 FD 3133 Departs 1210 Arrives 1330 1566.48 BT

Mini-vans should be about 400 baht!! easy... :D

Air Asia only has three flights a week to Ranong and my feeling is by the end of the year Air Asia will drop Ranong like other airlines have done in the past. Plus the Airport is 25 km outside of Ranong not much transportation into town either. Recommend bus from Southern Bus Station to Ranong cost 700 as of last week. At the Bus station you can get a ride to either the pier for a visa run or a tour agent that offers visa runs. I know also that you can get a Bus to Nakhon Si the next morning about 7 am. Check it out when you arrive in Ranong. My girlfriend lives in Ranong and her parents are in Nakhon Si.

Does your Gf have a car? is she willing to be a paid tour guide?

Air Asia only has three flights a week to Ranong and my feeling is by the end of the year Air Asia will drop Ranong like other airlines have done in the past. Plus the Airport is 25 km outside of Ranong not much transportation into town either. Recommend bus from Southern Bus Station to Ranong cost 700 as of last week. At the Bus station you can get a ride to either the pier for a visa run or a tour agent that offers visa runs. I know also that you can get a Bus to Nakhon Si the next morning about 7 am. Check it out when you arrive in Ranong. My girlfriend lives in Ranong and her parents are in Nakhon Si.

I appreciata your comments, since I have not bought the tickets. Yes, I am going to start first at bangkok then to ranong or as it seems now hatyai then to nakorn si.

However, are you able to provide me the reasons for choosing Hat Yai instead? To me there are two reasons to choose Ranong

iT may be safer than Hat yai, since the south rebels have not quieten down.

No problems. I'm in Hadyai fairly regularly.

From the map, it seems ranong is closer to nakorn si tammarat than hatyai's border with malaysia is.

Hadyai and NST are connected by fast 4 lane roads (Asia Highway) and the journey is just over a couple of hours. Ranong to NST is a long winding partly 2 lane journey on bendy dangerous roads and you're looking at 3/4+ hours.

I want the reasons. :o

Had Yai is safe, the rebels are further down south, NO PROBLEMS!!

I have been to Had Yai 4 times last month (testing the road) and It is very quiet down there. The Malaysians are commmmming back now... Business is on the up and up...

Had Yai is also good for shopping...

Hi there

A border run in Ranong involves boats to Burma and some waiting time. And Ranong is not so easy to navigate.

A border run from Had Yai to Sadao is done in a taxi or minibus and can be arranged easily.

Distance from Ranong to NsT is 344 km., on winding mountain roads. Almost got carsick from doing it on Google Earth.

Distance from Had Yai to NsT is 223 km., on a nice, straight highway.

I would definately choose the Had Yai option, having done a variety of visa-runs in the south in the last 9 years.

Try to run the different options on Google Earth

Gotta love the visa runs :o

Good luck

You experienced pple able to introduce me a reputable company which organises trips from the Hat Yai airport, to the malaysian border then can drive to Nakorn si tammarat .

Also I cant seems to find information about the border itself, specifically where will you drop off and how to go over the custom and have no mnaps of that place

Does your Gf have a car? is she willing to be a paid tour guide?

I have a car she doesn't and no sorry not interested she has a job already.

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of the Andaman Club buys 60 tickets on every flight, I don't think he would be pleased to lose a 2nd airline flying into Ranong. He lost a load of money when as Vice Chairman of Phuket Air, they went under.

• 2 months later...