Advantage Of A Non-imm.-ovisa Over A Tourist Visa?

Hi, what (if there is) the advantage of a Non Immigration O Visa over a 60 day Tourist Visa, + 30 day extension?

As far as I understand you have to do visa runs every 90 days anyway, so? + a non imm-o takes a lot more paperwork and more money.

Am I wrong (probably am) ?

Hi, what (if there is) the advantage of a Non Immigration O Visa over a 60 day Tourist Visa, + 30 day extension?

As far as I understand you have to do visa runs every 90 days anyway, so? + a non imm-o takes a lot more paperwork and more money.

Tourist Visa 60 days. only a 30 day extension 1,900 Baht

Non O Single 90 days.

A multi entry Non O Visa means you can come and go as many times as you want for up to 15 months

A Non O can be extended in Thailand for up to 1 year if you qualify.

A tourist Visa cannot , although you can now convert it to a Non O if the Non O is going to be extended for a year.(fee 2,000 Baht for the convertion and 1,900 for the year extension.)

With a 60 day tourist visa you have 60 days and can extend that with 30 days. This extension cost money and you have to go to immigration. With a non-immigrant visa you can stay 90 days right away.

Also if you want to get an extension of stay, for example based on education, for up to one year you would first have to convert your tourist visa in a non-immigrant. This cost you 2000 baht.

<br />Hi, what (if there is) the advantage of a Non Immigration O Visa over a 60 day Tourist Visa, + 30 day extension?<br /><br />As far as I understand you have to do visa runs every 90 days anyway, so? + a non imm-o takes a lot more paperwork and more money.<br /><br />Am I wrong (probably am) ?<br />

you can apply for the thai driving license wich is not possible with a tourist visa.

you can apply for the thai driving license wich is not possible with a tourist visa.

Sorry, this is wrong. You can do that as long as your "residence" is in thailand.... Usually a simple paper from your embassy as long as you live more than 6 months per year here (details may vary, I am french).

Exactly what I have done.

Edited by DTiger

<br />
<br /><br />Sorry, this is wrong. You can do that as long as your "residence" is in thailand.... Usually a simple paper from your embassy as long as you live more than 6 months per year here (details may vary, I am french).<br /><br />Exactly what I have done.<br />

rules may differ as usual from places to places, but here in samui, it's clearely written only non-immigrant visa.

<br />
<br /><br />Sorry, this is wrong. You can do that as long as your "residence" is in thailand.... Usually a simple paper from your embassy as long as you live more than 6 months per year here (details may vary, I am french).<br /><br />Exactly what I have done.<br />

rules may differ as usual from places to places, but here in samui, it's clearely written only non-immigrant visa.

Same Khon Kaen

It depends how long you want to stay.

I am on my 3rd multi entry non O, as I am under 50 and not married it is my only option. It means I have to do 90 day border runs (have to go next week), but I usually make a small holiday out of those trips. It also means I have to return to the UK every 15 months to get a new visa which is a pain, but it's always good to see my parents and brothers, nieces, nephews etc.

The availabilty of tourist visas is notoriously fickle, I know several guys who live here permanently on them, but they have to keep visiting different consulates who are TV 'friendly' at that particular moment in time.

Same Khon Kaen

Never said it was not written "only non-immigrant", but as usual there are (big :o ) differences between thai text and their translation: thai rule just say that you have to resid in thailand, which for french (I guess it should not be very different for others) means a simple address, more than 6 months and a "residency" paper from the embassy. :D

Same Khon Kaen

Never said it was not written "only non-immigrant", but as usual there are (big :o ) differences between thai text and their translation: thai rule just say that you have to resid in thailand, which for french (I guess it should not be very different for others) means a simple address, more than 6 months and a "residency" paper from the embassy. :D

Non O Single 90 days.

A multi entry Non O Visa means you can come and go as many times as you want for up to 15 months

A tourist Visa cannot , although you can now convert it to a Non O if the Non O is going to be extended for a year.(fee 2,000 Baht for the convertion and 1,900 for the year extension.)

I am on a Non O Visa myself (last 2 month) can I extend it in Thailand or do I need to go overseas

in order to do so ?

Non O Single 90 days.

I am on a Non O Visa myself (last 2 month) can I extend it in Thailand or do I need to go overseas

in order to do so ?

You can extend it for one year, based on marriage to a Thai, or over 50 retirement or business reasons. If you meet the financial requirements.

If this is not you, then you have to leave Thailand and get another Visa somewhere.