Marrying A Thai In England

In brief, I have been working here in Thailand for 6 years. I have been engaged for 3 years and my Thai girlfriend went to England with me last year for 6 weeks. She's got an English degree and now living and working for a Middle East Airline.

We want to get married next spring and wondering if it's possible to do this at a registry office in England bearing in mind that we have a maximum 14 days over there.

We have no plans to settle there, so the problem of a resettlement visa is not an issue. Just wondering if anyone knows the situation regarding get married over there while on holiday ... and also if the marriage HAS to be registered over here in Thailand too, which might affect her land purchasing rights. Over to you ...

In brief, I have been working here in Thailand for 6 years. I have been engaged for 3 years and my Thai girlfriend went to England with me last year for 6 weeks. She's got an English degree and now living and working for a Middle East Airline.

We want to get married next spring and wondering if it's possible to do this at a registry office in England bearing in mind that we have a maximum 14 days over there.

We have no plans to settle there, so the problem of a resettlement visa is not an issue. Just wondering if anyone knows the situation regarding get married over there while on holiday ... and also if the marriage HAS to be registered over here in Thailand too, which might affect her land purchasing rights. Over to you ...

I got married 4 1/2 years ago at a registry office in Taunton.

I had known my (wife now) for about 7 years and I was in the UK and went to the registry office and set up a date for the wedding.

However the British Embassy here was slow in granting her a visa so I set a new date and we had no problems.

You will need to get a fiancee visa from the Embassy which is usually a 6 month 1 entry type, and she will need to go for the interview etc. I have no idea how long this will take. For us it was about 6 weeks. Your fiancee will need at least 7 months left on her passport for the embassy to grant the visa.

You will need to be on the electoral roll (I think) of the office where you will be married and complete all the forms.

A lot of the UK County Councils are on line now and if you contact them they will give you all the information you should need.

We arrived in the UK on a Tuesday, married on Friday and left for France, Belgium and Germany for the honeymoon. (I was working in France at the time).

We have not registered the marriage in Thailand though I went to the Embassy and got the marriage certified, went over the road and got a translation and then went to a Thai Ministry which I cannot remember the name of on Chaeng Wattana road and got the translation certified by that department.

There is no law in Thailand which states that a Thai woman married to a foreigner cannot own land and property, BUT it gets a bit tricky if you want to own the property.

There are people on the forum who know much more than me about that and there are also people who will warn you not to put anything in your wifes name as you may lose it all. There are also people like me ( a lot of them) who are married to Thais and trust their wives and put every thing in her name.

That is your choice alone.

Do not let anyone else influence your decision. Listen to them but make your own mind up.

:o:D

Regards

billd766

Click here for the Britsh embassy information on marrying in the UK.

Contrary to what the previous poster said, a fiancé(e) visa is not required. It is only necessary if the applicant intends to marry and settle in the UK. Consequently, in your wife-to-be's circumstances a normal visit visa will suffice.

The marriage does not need to be registered in Thailand but doing so will not effect your fiancée's ability to hold land. That particular Thai law changed many moons ago.

Best of luck,

Scouse.

Click here for the Britsh embassy information on marrying in the UK.

Contrary to what the previous poster said, a fiancé(e) visa is not required. It is only necessary if the applicant intends to marry and settle in the UK. Consequently, in your wife-to-be's circumstances a normal visit visa will suffice.

The marriage does not need to be registered in Thailand but doing so will not effect your fiancée's ability to hold land. That particular Thai law changed many moons ago.

Best of luck,

Scouse.

Thanks Scouse

I knew somebody would know more than me and I am happy if it helps somebody else.