Thai Words That Crack A Smile

What Thai words or sayings do you find funny? With my limited Thai I know there's a lot out there that we all can learn by having some fun :o .

my favorite is 'uhhh-ahh' ... this mean 'ya, ya, i know'

What are you talking about, thats not a Thai word.

What I mean is, Thai people may use it, but its used all over the world - its like 'uh huh'

Funny words are not always 'clean' words.

Look ! (my favorite)

-------------------------------------------------------

A few evenings ago my GF had friends from some of the neighbouring houses over at our house for a feast of steamed baby mussels, I was asked by one of the cute one's as I walked past the table, " ....charp ghing hoy mia?" Did I see a certain look in her eye ?

-------------------------------------------------------

Let us not forget that certain parts of Thai society play wordy puns on the unwary tourist in certain parts of Thailand. Many a newbie visitor will think that the tricky Thai tongue can not quite pronounce 'Handsome' and accept the resultant "Ham sum man" as a compliment. :o

Edited by Cuban

What Thai words or sayings do you find funny? With my limited Thai I know there's a lot out there that we all can learn by having some fun :o .

What I mean is, Thai people may use it, but its used all over the world - its like 'uh huh'

it has a different tone than what you are thinking about...

how about this one... 'bahhh' means 'let's go!'

That isn't a Thai word indeed, it actually isn't a word, as the poster I am quoting states, it's the equivalent of a westerner muttering 'uh uh' when they are either agreeing completely or not listening to what you are saying at all, and it is mainly used in the Isaan area, and therefore probably derived from Laos (I know quite a few locals who mainly speak Khmen, and they don't use it, just the Pah sah Laos ones)

Rah tree sawat, fan dee na khrrap.

Anyone fancy a ham sandwich?

this is acually from the laos language,and it can mean many many many things,including "ya,ya,i know"

as well as thats right ,thats ok ,even 'up to you'

SO YOUR NOT WRONG O P.

My fave translates to mean 'banana banana'

= 'piece of cake'

Thai word for "vomit:" UUAACK !! :o

and the surprise word,can't remeber what we used to use at home,but here whether you or someone else e.g slipped on a wet patch (not the bedsheets in soi 6) on the road, ooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

me and my mate love it(and soi 6) and use it all the time out of habit (and soi 6)

ngoo ngoo bplah bplah

snake snake fish fish

The times I've heard it used...it means "to be in the same situation". I have used it myself...I may ask someone if they speak English, to which they reply.."a little bit" I would then reply (in Thai) that I speak very little Thai...followed by "ngoo ngoo bplah bplah"

It always brings a smile.

I guess the English version is... "we're in the same boat"

I also find it funny that some Thai phrases have to be repeated for the correct way of expression:

CHIN CHIN = REALLY OR TRUTHFULLY

LEOW LEOW = QUICKLY

CHA CHA = SLOWLY

MAK MAK = TOO MUCH

so how would you say very fast!, or really quick! :o

Edited by sotsira

What Thai words or sayings do you find funny? With my limited Thai I know there's a lot out there that we all can learn by having some fun :o.

any thai words spoken by foreigners that cant read/write/pronounce thai adequately...i sometimes chuckle at.

I have always found ชักว่าว amusing.Literally means "pulling your kite to and fro" or "flying your kite"...slang for male wanking.My wanking action is NOTHING like my kite action :D

What Thai words or sayings do you find funny? With my limited Thai I know there's a lot out there that we all can learn by having some fun :D .

any thai words spoken by foreigners that cant read/write/pronounce thai adequately...i sometimes chuckle at.

I have always found ชักว่าว amusing.Literally means "pulling your kite to and fro" or "flying your kite"...slang for male wanking.My wanking action is NOTHING like my kite action :D

LOL :o Thanks kiakaha for letting us know, too much info. May be you need a Thai kite lesson. :D