Please Help. I Need A Solid Connection.

marcusmarsh

I have the opportunity or earning some money through work on the internet. However its imperative the connection is solid.

Is this possible ?

Preferabaly in Chiang Mai but I could move anywhere.

SURELY certain companies NEED solid connections and manage to aquire them ?

Any posts gratefully appreciated. Ive done lots of reading and am plain confused by the options :o

Thank you.

The only decent connection I've ever had in Thailand (the one I've got now) is from CAT. I get 2MB up and down using G.SHDSL. I had to fork out 9000 baht for the G. router and I pay about 2,500 a month for the line, but I can't praise it enough. I can't vouch for the uptime anywhere else, but here I can't actually remember the last time the connection dropped. During off peak hours I can torrent at up to 250KB/s. Good quality of service as well for VIOP and the likes.

Guest Reimar
I have the opportunity or earning some money through work on the internet. However its imperative the connection is solid.

Is this possible ?

Any posts gratefully appreciated. Ive done lots of reading and am plain confused by the options :o

Thank you.

The only, for Thailands Internet systems, solid connection are Leased Lines. But even here the handicap is the international connection because a guaranty for leased lines applies for the connection from you the ISP only and NOT further. The only advantage is that there isn't any sharing on leased Lines.

An other possibility is the G.SHDSL system from CAT Thailand but this isn't work everywhere, you need to check the avaibility with CAT THailand or with HiNet/CAT. That sharing is 1:5 but much more cheap than leased lines.

Cost of Lleased Lines 512/512 is about TB 30,000 + a month while G.SHDSL 2000/2000 is THB 2850 a month.

And for Chiang Mai you need to check with the locals.

Cheers.

Is this possible ?

Thank you.

I use "True". no problems at all. Just be aware that you won't get the speed they advertise. I have a 3mb super package. Get a free sim with it which I don't use. Have tested my connection regular. 2.6 kb/s down load at highest, average 2.1 kb/s. Upload 0.690 kb/s highest, average 0.540 kb/s. Some days are slower than others, depending on demand. Take today for example. (See attachment). You will need a Thai national, or a work permit to get it set up. The local "True shop" will tell you what speed the area you are in, will support. Good luck.

post-61805-1215403407_thumb.jpg

The only, for Thailands Internet systems, solid connection are Leased Lines. But even here the handicap is the international connection because a guaranty for leased lines applies for the connection from you the ISP only and NOT further. The only advantage is that there isn't any sharing on leased Lines.

We have a leased line from INET at work. Speed has been upgraded to 1MB in our new contract, costs about 30k per month. It is reasonably reliable (much better than any other connection we ever had, which is why we pay for it) but I would still hesitate to call it 'solid'. It's 'ok'.

As the above poster said, even paying that amount the fine print of the contract still doesn't guarantee international bandwidth speed. We gave INET a very difficult time over this, but basically they can't and won't guarantee it. According to their service agreement, if they can squeeze a single packet through the connection then it is deemed to be 'working'!!!!

After much wrangling and finding polite ways to explain that if they won't guarantee the bandwidth we won't guarantee to pay :-) the only concession we managed to get out of them was that if they don't meet the terms of the service agreement (which includes a somewhat vague and loosely worded assurance that international bandwidth shouldn't fall beneath something like half the rated maximum) we can terminate the contract without penalty.

In future we may experiment with buying one of those load-balancing routers mentioned in another thread and 2-3 cheap ADSL connections. Our main requirement is for reliability rather than blazing speed so maybe that would be be a better way to go.

Seconded...I cannnot praise Cat Hinet SHDSL highly enough at 2850 per month (includes rental of SHDSL modem at about 500). We get a solid and consistent 2MB up and down in our internet cafe on Koh Chang.

An other possibility is the G.SHDSL system from CAT Thailand but this isn't work everywhere, you need to check the avaibility with CAT THailand or with HiNet/CAT. That sharing is 1:5 but much more cheap than leased lines.

Cost of Lleased Lines 512/512 is about TB 30,000 + a month while G.SHDSL 2000/2000 is THB 2850 a month.

Cheers.

Doesn't sound right to me, but then I'm not up to speed on this. The 1:5 ratio @ 2850 bht only gives them around 14000 bht/per line?

When you talk about solid does that mean a high constant throughput or just connectivity?

There is a huge difference in price. I'd even go as far as saying 'high constant throughput' isn't possible in Thailand even if you moved in to CAT head office. :o

As for connectivity. it is very geographical. Even here in Chiangmai there is a huge difference where in the city you are located and which provider is best for your area. Near University it tend to be CAT, but at Chiangmai Gate TT&T are doing good.

I believe your best bet is to read the http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Multi-Isp-wa...er-t198199.html thread.

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

Doesn't sound right to me, but then I'm not up to speed on this. The 1:5 ratio @ 2850 bht only gives them around 14000 bht/per line?

The meaning is not the total sharing but the sharing between the ISP and the Users.

Cheers.

No gripes with TRUE. Seems rock solid. Go for the 4 MB package. You get VIP treatment.

One way to be sure you are up all the time is to get 2 ISP's. If the first one fails switch to the other.

Need a work permit? I sure didn't.

The only decent connection I've ever had in Thailand (the one I've got now) is from CAT. I get 2MB up and down using G.SHDSL. I had to fork out 9000 baht for the G. router and I pay about 2,500 a month for the line, but I can't praise it enough. I can't vouch for the uptime anywhere else, but here I can't actually remember the last time the connection dropped. During off peak hours I can torrent at up to 250KB/s. Good quality of service as well for VIOP and the likes.

Hi Malcolmswaine,

Where are you based in Thailand please ?

And ecuse my ignorance but who do I ring to enquire about this service for a chat ?

Is CAT a name of the company, like different from T.O.T. ?

MANY thanks in advance.

Marcus

Is this possible ?

Thank you.

Cheers.

Many thanks for your reply - I at least start to feel Im waliking in the right direction after feeling totally confused and lost !!!

One question for you please..

You mention CAT thailand and HiNet/CAT. Are they 2 different companies offering 2 different services or what exactly ?

Thank You.

Marcus

Hi Malcolmswaine,

Where are you based in Thailand please ?

And ecuse my ignorance but who do I ring to enquire about this service for a chat ?

Is CAT a name of the company, like different from T.O.T. ?

MANY thanks in advance.

Marcus

CAT is the Communications Authority of Thailand.

They are responsible for the international voice calls, and till a short while ago where the only (monopolistic) company where all the ISP's had to buy their international internet pipe to the outside world from.

Now ISP's can buy their international bandwidth from foreign suppliers directly if they so wish (a large percentage is keeping rather large pipes to the CAT though).

In short, CAT has the biggest pipe to the outside world, and since a few of the biggest ISP's are now using their own IIG's (International Internet Gateway), the CAT capacity is actually relatively lightly loaded.

Also, since they own that big pipe, they can resell directly to their own customers for relatively competitive prices.

Although they are far from perfect, they do have the longest experience in running a high capacity IIG.

They will pull a dedicated cable to your house, on which only the internet travels. No phone service. This effectively bypasses the existing phone lines, which are more often then not a shambles of taped together spaghetti style wires!

Find their current packages over here:

http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/promotion.html

Some contact details:

http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/contact_hinet.html

Most big cities have a CAT office, so best to ask the locals to where the closest by CAT office is located.

You mention CAT thailand and HiNet/CAT. Are they 2 different companies offering 2 different services or what exactly ?

Hinet is the name of the ISP owned by CAT (just like for example Maxnet is the name of the ISP owned by TT&T).

CAT Hinet is serviced through dedicated cables pulled to your house.

You also have Hinet TT&T, where CAT supplies the internet through a TT&T phone line. Not really recommended as you are limited to just 1, cheap package, which probably has a much higher sharing ratio...

Guest Reimar

Is this possible ?

Thank you.

Cheers.

Many thanks for your reply - I at least start to feel Im waliking in the right direction after feeling totally confused and lost !!!

One question for you please..

Thank You.

Marcus

HiNet is a Sudsidiary Company of CAT and runs some of the CAT Internet services.

Just use the links monty posted and you on the right track!

Cheers.

CAT is the Communications Authority of Thailand.

They are responsible for the international voice calls, and till a short while ago where the only (monopolistic) company where all the ISP's had to buy their international internet pipe to the outside world from.

Now ISP's can buy their international bandwidth from foreign suppliers directly if they so wish (a large percentage is keeping rather large pipes to the CAT though).

In short, CAT has the biggest pipe to the outside world, and since a few of the biggest ISP's are now using their own IIG's (International Internet Gateway), the CAT capacity is actually relatively lightly loaded.

Also, since they own that big pipe, they can resell directly to their own customers for relatively competitive prices.

Although they are far from perfect, they do have the longest experience in running a high capacity IIG.

They will pull a dedicated cable to your house, on which only the internet travels. No phone service. This effectively bypasses the existing phone lines, which are more often then not a shambles of taped together spaghetti style wires!

Find their current packages over here:

http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/promotion.html

Some contact details:

http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/contact_hinet.html

Most big cities have a CAT office, so best to ask the locals to where the closest by CAT office is located.

Thank You for your help Monty - it is appreciated.

Summarising what you say it seems CAT is the company to use (though I appreciate they are far from perfect).

And this means that if I use them, as it would not be on a phoneline, I could obviously use the phoneline in the apartment for a landline telephone (which is desirable from my point of view) right ?

Any internet provider that uses a telephone line is to be avoided - correct ?

(as they are less reliable) ?

After reading some posts Im leaning towards CAT Hinet G.SHDSL

Any comments appreciated ?

Its probably extremely evident from the above that Im clueless when it comes to the world of computers. But after 12 years of trying to set up something whereby I can earn money in Asia and not return to the west, I now have that possibilty.

I also read about the posssibilty of a 'load balancing router' making the probabilty or possibilty of connection more solid.

I mean I wouldnt know where to start but is this worth me looking into ?

I must be able to find someone here close to me on planet earth that can assist with this right.

Thanks in Advance to you Monty or anyone that has already or will help with ur comments.

Marcus

• 2 months later...
After reading some posts Im leaning towards CAT Hinet G.SHDSL

Any comments appreciated ?

Marcus

Hi - I too am looking at the above - CAT Hinet G.SHDSL - service as a good looking alternative and I appreciate the above information on CAT and current ownership of International bandwidth - I had thought it all still went through CAT. With individual companies able to pay for their own bandwidth then this reinforces the issue regards lack of investment but much profit making amongst these companies, with the permanent promotions and offers to the public.

My current TOT 2MB home user connection offers around 5% or LESS on regular basis! :o

On CAT Hinet G.SHDSL - I await some information from them on availability in my area (Sukhumvit 39 BKK) and if I need a new line or not, I currently have a TOT line and maybe another there from previously installed line. The offer of 3,500 Baht for 1MB connection with fixed IP, free G.SHDSL modem etc looks quite high in price, however if offering a good reliable 1MB connection it looks more than worth it, particularly as I may share with one other user.

Any other news on this service, reliability, CAT service, Thai International bandwidth would be much appreciated here as it is all very useful in building a bigger picture.

Thanks! :D

AMH

Some technical details on G.SHDSL:

The maximum line speeds of G.SHDSL, often abbreviated as SDSL although technically incorrect, is 2312kbps or 2.3Mbps.

Upstream and downstream speeds are the same.

Contrary to ADSL, G.SHDSL uses the entire frequency bandwidth of the copper line, so you always need a separate line. It is technically not possible to combine a phone signal and dsl signal on the same line.

G.SHDSL also uses a different error-correction protocol, which extends the line distance up to 11km. With the Thai outdoor phone cables (0.9mm) a rock solid 2.3Mbps connection can be achieved on a 3km line (haven't tested any longer distances).

CAT also offers 4.6Mbps connection, which require a double copper-pair. Both copper pairs are connected on the RJ11 phone plug on pins 2-3 and 1-4. (Note: the router must support 4-wire dsl!)

Since G.SHDSL is a totally different standard compared to ADSL, a different router is required. The prices CAT charge for their routers are high! If you want to look on eBay, check the Zyxel 792H (2-wire) which one could get for a few euro's.

I use "TOT" since two weeks ago. I have upgrated my package - I think it's a Promation - from 1 MB to 4 MB for Baht 1'000 a month. Now I am a bit more satisfied than before with 1 MB. The price is okay and I don't need it for business.

But what really annoys me, near the most of all "Adobe Flash Player 9.." (with exception of YouTube) built movies don't work fine without break from outside Thailand. So my bandwidth is still too slow, if I want to see news online TV. Yes the CAT... :o

Here some pictures from tests with this website from TOT: http://speed.totisp.net/

This is about the average since two weeks:

post-28552-1222705557_thumb.jpg

post-28552-1222705539_thumb.jpg

But in the same time than above Penang and Kuala Lumpur TUE about 11 PM:

post-28552-1222708422_thumb.jpg

post-28552-1222708265_thumb.jpg

Edited by eugengeri

I use "TOT" since two weeks ago. I have upgrated my package - I think it's a Promation - from 1 MB to 4 MB for Baht 1'000 a month. Now I am a bit more satisfied than before with 1 MB. The price is okay and I don't need it for business.

But what really annoys me, near the most of all "Adobe Flash Player 9.." (with exception of YouTube) built movies don't work fine without break from outside Thailand. So my bandwidth is still too slow, if I want to see news online TV. Yes the CAT... :o

Here some pictures from tests with this website from TOT: http://speed.totisp.net/

Hi - does anybody know why this is so with the Flash movies? Even when my TOT 2MB connection 'seems' to be working, Flash based movie content or other streaming video refuses to play properly at all. I know there is various software to help improve this, any ideas?

Also - TOT 2MB today is woeful once again, many sites don't even open, including Google. They have informed that 'a problem at the exchange is the issue' and that 'there is a problem with TOT ISP...' :D

AMH