Getting My Own Motorbike From Belgium To Chiang Mai

I have a yamaha T-Max 500cc and would like to keep it even when I will retire in Thailand.A big yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai told me I should send my bike not as a whole but in parts.He would assembly it and get a new card for me.On importing a motorbike you should pay high taxes, when it comes in parts you don't have to pay anything.Yamaha Belgium could send parts to yamaha Thailand so it can go officially and than it works without any problems, so the dealer from Chiang Mai told me.Has anyone experience with this.What are the costs of sending parts to Thailand from Belgium(Europe) or should I better sell the bike and buy another in Thailand? The problem is I am very keen on this bike and like to keep it, so I investigate the possibilities.The dealer told me to, that I am not the only one,as he showed my inscriptioncard from another Belgian who wanted to do the same as me, but I like to hear from people here if this is alltogether a good idea or not? A new one like mine cost about 500000 baht in Thailand by the way.

post-64374-1215438330_thumb.jpg

I have a yamaha T-Max 500cc and would like to keep it even when I will retire in Thailand.A big yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai told me I should send my bike not as a whole but in parts.He would assembly it and get a new card for me.On importing a motorbike you should pay high taxes, when it comes in parts you don't have to pay anything.Yamaha Belgium could send parts to yamaha Thailand so it can go officially and than it works without any problems, so the dealer from Chiang Mai told me.Has anyone experience with this.What are the costs of sending parts to Thailand from Belgium(Europe) or should I better sell the bike and buy another in Thailand? The problem is I am very keen on this bike and like to keep it, so I investigate the possibilities.The dealer told me to, that I am not the only one,as he showed my inscriptioncard from another Belgian who wanted to do the same as me, but I like to hear from people here if this is alltogether a good idea or not? A new one like mine cost about 500000 baht in Thailand by the way.

I have a friend who went this route with a car. He is now having a certain amount of hassle from the authorities.

IMO it just isn't worth it. Basically you are avoiding legally due taxes. Do you really want to jeopardise your retirement in Thailand if you are found out?

Huh,

Does a bike like yours cost 500.000 baht ? Jeeezzz...

A couple of years ago (2003) I participated in the Thai Championships in Ayuthaya (great racetrack they got there) with a rented Honda Fireblade.

Now, before any readers here start making assumptions : it was the amateur-races in between the professional ones.

Since my friend was one of the competitors, I was also invited by his teamsponsor to come to an afterparty in their shop.

Over in Belgium I ride a Honda Fireblade 2003 model (1000 cc, 180 HP and 189 kgs for the laymen amoung us) which at the time cost me about 13500 euro (675000 baht) in Belgium. The exact same model and colors was for sale in the shop in Bangkok for the amount of ... 395000 baht ! Almost half the price in Europe !!

So, unless the prices have gone rocketting high, it's hard to believe that your Yamaha would cost that much. As previously quoted, I would also recommend to sell the bike in Belgium and get a new one over in Thailand. If you got the time, just go around and surf the net, you'll probably get a good deal somewhere.

For instance : I also bought a helmet in Belgium (Arai, Kenny Roberts colors) for little over 900 euro (45000 baht). I bought my girlfriend a similar one in Bangkok for only 21000 baht. Same goes for the leathers if you care for your physical protection.

post-14015-1215450921_thumb.jpg

For instance : I also bought a helmet in Belgium (Arai, Kenny Roberts colors) for little over 900 euro (45000 baht). I bought my girlfriend a similar one in Bangkok for only 21000 baht. Same goes for the leathers if you care for your physical protection.

Ypu may want to take a close look at the helmet. Probably a 'knock off' (copy) and I'm sure will show that if it crashes to the pavement.

Forget about it.You probably know the labour rates in belgium.Calculate how much it will cost you to take it apart and pack it properly so it will not be damaged during transport.Then count the shipping,import taxes ( nothing comes into thailand without taxes and yamaha belgium has nothing to do with yamaha thailand ),registering the bike which will be around 60.000 baht and then you maybe lucky if no parts got lost or damaged during fitting the bike together again.

Regarding your price estimate for a new simmilar bike take a lookaround,if you find the right person bikes are not more expensive then in belgium.The bike in my avator costs 14.500 euro in belgium,overhere the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget about it.You probably know the labour rates in belgium.Calculate how much it will cost you to take it apart and pack it properly so it will not be damaged during transport.Then count the shipping,import taxes ( nothing comes into thailand without taxes and yamaha belgium has nothing to do with yamaha thailand ),registering the bike which will be around 60.000 baht and then you maybe lucky if no parts got lost or damaged during fitting the bike together again.

Regarding your price estimate for a new simmilar bike take a lookaround,if you find the right person bikes are not more expensive then in belgium.The bike in my avator costs 14.500 euro in belgium,overhere the same.

Thank you, yes on second thoughts I will sell the bike before retirement and than buy another one in Thailand. Yes the prices for big bikes are not so different from Belgium. last year there were opendoor days at a Yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai, and they showed all the big bikes like a XJR 1300 wich was priced around 770000 baht, so about the same as here.In the 125 cc class it is a different story, in that segment prices are only one third or one fourth of the price you pay over here.About the helmets, I have a Shoei Raid II and that costs here 350 euro ( a not painted version, just metal grey). The Shoei factory makes helmets for Thailand under the name Index, very cheap indeed, but of course not the same protection either.This winter I will bring my own one to Chiang Mai and use it for a ride.

Huh,

A couple of years ago (2003) I participated in the Thai Championships in Ayuthaya (great racetrack they got there) with a rented Honda Fireblade.

Now, before any readers here start making assumptions : it was the amateur-races in between the professional ones.

Since my friend was one of the competitors, I was also invited by his teamsponsor to come to an afterparty in their shop.

Over in Belgium I ride a Honda Fireblade 2003 model (1000 cc, 180 HP and 189 kgs for the laymen amoung us) which at the time cost me about 13500 euro (675000 baht) in Belgium. The exact same model and colors was for sale in the shop in Bangkok for the amount of ... 395000 baht ! Almost half the price in Europe !!

So, unless the prices have gone rocketting high, it's hard to believe that your Yamaha would cost that much.

I have the new 2008 model and prices did lower a bit to 8900 euro including ABS., but at the Yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai, the 2007 model, The Black Max was priced 500000 baht.

Huh,

So, unless the prices have gone rocketting high, it's hard to believe that your Yamaha would cost that much.

I have the new 2008 model and prices did lower a bit to 8900 euro including ABS., but at the Yamaha dealer in Chiang Mai, the 2007 model, The Black Max was priced 500000 baht.

If you want to buy a bike like yours you can order it on the grey market.Wil save you some money but probably no warranty.