Hiv

p1p

Have you ever taken an HIV test?  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now for the pointed question...

If your result was negative; Why did you feel the need to take the test?

For myself I have taken the test several times for the following reasons:

* Prior to my second marriage, I wanted to reassure my wife. (She did not need to have a test!)

* I was stabbed with a used hypodermic needle wealded by a katoey. I had about four tests over the following year to ensure I was OK. I was ! (The unprovoked attack took place in front of a 7/11 at 6:30am. I was just arriving at work.)

I took the test several years ago and got the all clear. I only took the test because the doc asked me. Is there anything else i can do? I thought ye why not. Aids test please doc. I knew i would be ok. But i was living in an enviroment that casual sex was on offer. I ######ed so many women in the space of a year or so. Most i used condoms with. Some i didnt. I know it was silly but we all do silly things in life.

Took the test a few times. Reasons...

-Paranoia

-Ex in HK was a prostitute (I was green in those days and didn't know she was a hooker. Had unprotected sex several times a week for a year)

-Out of respect for my current love and to reassure us both.

-Common sense

Interesting that someone voted for Yes. tested positive. Maybe true or a wind up????

Did you expect that no-one on this forum would be +ve?

I was negative, but I know those unfortunate ones that weren't.

HIV is a BIG problem in Thailand!

I'm really glad someone started this thread, because this has been on my mind and I haven't been able to ask someone.

I took a couple of tests a few years ago and was negative, but I'd like to take another test just to get the all clear on my health. I am mostly safe, but like many people, sometimes you start dating someone and take risks that you later regret.

I want to get tested, but I don't know the full legal implications of this in Thailand. In the west, it is possible to get anonymous testing, but I don't think that is possible here in Thailand.

First of all: where is the best place to be tested in BKK?

How much should a test cost?

Is the test confidential? What happens if you tested positive,

does the government throw you out of the country?

Thanks.

I'm really glad someone started this thread, because this has been on my mind and I haven't been able to ask someone.

I took a couple of tests a few years ago and was negative, but I'd like to take another test just to get the all clear on my health.  I am mostly safe, but like many people, sometimes you start dating someone and take risks that you later regret.

I want to get tested, but I don't know the full legal implications of this in Thailand.  In the west, it is possible to get anonymous testing, but I don't think that is possible here in Thailand.

First of all:  where is  the best place to be tested in BKK?

Is the test confidential?  What happens if you tested positive,

Thanks.

Me too,I exactly have the same question.Please someone answer it for us :o

...First of all:  where is  the best place to be tested in BKK?

Thanks.

Me too,I exactly have the same question.Please someone answer it for us :D

I went to Bumrungrad Hospital (Sukhumvit soi 3). Most things there are a little expensive, I have been told.

Reason: to reassure my girlfriend. She went at the same time to reassure me. :o

Cost: (for everything - not just HIV) a little over 1000 baht, I think. Maybe 1500. I think the HIV test is only about 300 or 400 baht, but not sure.

I don't know if it's confidential - I didn't hear anyone shouting "This guy's negative!", but the result has got to be in their computer.

I don't think they'll throw you out - and when I got my long-stay visa, a negative HIV test was NOT a requirement. But I don't know what the situation is now.

Best of luck, and I hope you are -ve. :D

Supposedly through heterosexual sex you need to be cut to get the virus??  I'm not sure on this  or can you get it through body openings??  Like when the penis is inside a vaginia??  :o

depends if you are circumcised or not. Circumcised guys are said to be less likely to get infected from a pussy that is shedding HIV . Shedding varies due to the person and when they were infected etc. very involved topic.

Uncircumcised dicks are supposed to be more at risk as the area under the foreskin is susceptible to passing HIV from a pussy .

Circumcision May Reduce HIV Risk

The results of a new study of more than 800 Kenyan men suggest that circumcision decreases the risk of HIV-1 infection, US and African researchers report in the March issue of Epidemiology.

Growing evidence has linked circumcision with reduced risk of HIV infection, lead author Dr. Kawango E. Agot of Moi University, Kenya and colleagues note. "Some have recommended male circumcision as one possible strategy to control the rapid spread of HIV in Africa."

However, cultural and religious differences between circumcised and uncircumcised men may have confounded results of studies which suggest that circumcision reduces the risk of HIV transmission, Dr. Agot's group notes.

To investigate further, the researchers studied 845 men from the Luo ethnic community, a population with a high prevalence of HIV. Many members of this community are Christians from African-instituted churches, and although circumcision practices differ among denominations, other risk factors "might be expected to be rather similar," the researchers point out,

Overall, 398 of the men were circumcised and the remaining 447 were not. Comparison of HIV seroprevalence, showed that the proportion was 30% in the uncircumcised group and 20% in the circumcised group.

The crude prevalence rate for HIV infection in uncircumcised men was 1.5, the investigators report, and adjustment for other risk factors "had little impact on this result."

In an accompanying editorial, Dr. Eduardo L. Franco of McGill University, Montreal points out that this observational study certainly does not end debate on the matter.

However, he praises the investigators' ingenuity and notes that "the quality of the science informing that debate has just moved up a notch."

04/07/04

Epidemiology 2004;15:133-134,157-163.

Circumcision Appears Protective Against HIV-1 Infection

By Karla Gale

The risk of being infected with HIV-1 is eight times higher among uncircumcised men compared with their circumcised counterparts, according to a "late breaker" presentation at the 41st Annual Meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America in San Diego.

Dr. Steven J. Reynolds, of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, and colleagues compared subsequent HIV-1 infection rates among 2298 men in Pune, India, whose initial test results between 1993 and 2000 were negative.

Among the 191 men who were circumcised, the incidence of infection was 0.7%; among the 2107 individuals not circumcised, 5.5% became infected. The incidence of other sexually transmitted diseases was slightly higher among those not circumcised, but the difference was not statistically significant.

Examination of the data revealed that demographics, sexual risk behaviors and condom use were similar between groups. Thus, it appears that differences in behavior do not explain the protective effect of foreskin removal.

Dr. Cynthia Sears, chair of the IDSA program committee, pointed out the study's strengths that support the conclusion that circumcision is protective. "There was enough information collected to control for sexual practices and sexual frequency, while looking in parallel at other STDs," she said.

"We assume there would be no difference [in protective effect] based on when the circumcision is done," so it could be performed at any stage of life, added Dr. Sears, also on faculty at Johns Hopkins.

She cautioned, however, that circumcision is "not a mechanism to absolutely prevent transmission, so circumcision would not diminish the need for safe sex behaviors."

10/13/03

Vaginal Infections Increase the Shedding of HIV

By Brian Boyle, MD

The relationship between sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and the risk of contracting or transmitting HIV has been reported in several studies. STDs, especially those that involve ulceration or severe inflammation, may facilitate HIV transmission by increasing the susceptibility of the uninfected partner and increasing the infectivity of the source partner. Studies in men and women have documented that genital ulcer disease and certain cervical infections significantly increase HIV shedding in the genital tract.

In the April 1, 2001 issue of The Journal of Infectious Diseases, researchers report the findings of a prospective study designed to further examine the relationship between vaginal infections and shedding of HIV. Women attending a STD and family planning clinic in Mombasa, Kenya between August, 1996 and September, 1998 were screened for both HIV and STDs. At enrollment, vaginal samples were obtained for HIV-1 DNA and RNA, vaginal secretions were examined using Gram's stain for bacterial vaginosis, wet mount for Candida and Trichomonas vaginalis, and culture for T. vaginalis and lactobacillus, and cervical secretions were collected for Gram's stain diagnosis of cervicitis, Neisseria gonorrhea culture and Chlamydia trachomatis antigen test. If an infection was found, the patient was treated and returned in two weeks for follow-up and repeat testing.

242 episodes of vaginal infection were included in this study. Of the 203 women involved in the study, 48% described some symptom consistent with HIV infection, however, only 27% had a CD4+ cell count less than 200 cells/mm3.

Among the 93 women with Candida vulvovaginitis, the mean concentration of HIV-1 RNA decreased 3.2 fold and the prevalence of HIV-1 DNA decreased from 36% to 17% following effective treatment of that condition. Among 55 women with Trichomonas vaginitis, treatment of that infection decreased HIV-1 RNA 4.2 fold, but there was no significant change in DNA shedding before and after treatment. In 77 women with bacterial vaginosis, treatment did not result in a change in HIV-1 RNA or DNA shedding. In both Candida vulvovaginitis and Trichomonas vaginitis, but not in bacterial vaginosis, the reduction of HIV-1 shedding was more marked in women that had evidence of significant inflammation associated with their infection.

The mechanism by which HIV RNA and DNA are increased in the vaginal secretions of women infected with certain STDs is not fully understood. There are, however, several potential mechanisms to explain this finding. These include higher levels of HIV replication and shedding due to an increased number and activation of CD4+ cells in the vaginal mucosa caused by localized immune responses. Another potential explanation involves inflammation-associated subepithelial blood vessel dilation that may result in increased delivery of HIV to the vaginal mucosa.

The authors conclude that their data "combined with considerable evidence for the importance of genital infections in potentiating HIV-1 transmission, suggest that treatment of Candida vulvovaginitis and Trichomonas vaginitis may reduce the infectivity of women with HIV-1 infection… and could have a measurable impact on the HIV-1 epidemic."

3/14/01

Non-Ulcerative Genital Herpes Virus (HSV-2) Shedding May Increase HIV-1 Transmission

By David Douglas

In women with herpes simplex virus (HSV-2) and HIV-1 coinfection, cervical shedding of HSV is associated with higher levels of HIV-1 expression, researchers report in the December 6th issue of AIDS.

As lead researcher Dr. R. Scott McClelland told Reuters Health, "HIV-1 seropositive individuals who are also infected with herpes simplex virus may be at increased risk for transmitting HIV-1 to sexual partners even when they do not have clinically evident genital herpes."

Dr. McClelland of the University of Washington, Seattle, and colleagues came to these conclusions after a cross-sectional study of 200 African women seropositive for both HSV-2 and HIV-1.

There was a significant correlation between the quantities of HSV DNA and HIV RNA in the cervical secretion of HSV-shedding women. In fact, a 10-fold increase in cervical HSV DNA was associated with 1.35 times higher HIV-1 RNA levels and 1.36 times greater odds of detection of HIV-1 proviral DNA.

The researchers note that it is unclear "why the association between the shedding of HSV and HIV-1 was observed only among women shedding HSV rather than in all dually infected women."

Nevertheless, in light of these findings, Dr. McClelland concluded, "further research is needed to determine whether treatments that reduce genital herpes reactivations can be safely and effectively used to reduce HIV-1 infectiousness and transmission."

1/03/03

You won't be thrown out for testing positive and you shouldn't let that stop you from taking it either. It's very, very unlikely that you will have contracted anything, and you will certainly know in time if you have. Though HIV can be carried for years without visible symptoms, this is usually not the case. It is much harder for men to contract the diesease than women, and even having unprotected sex with infected females is still not a massive risk. I know people that have lived in Thailand for up to 20 years and have slept with over a thousand women and they are fine, I also know 2 people that have slept with women (both Pattaya girls, one worked on Soi 8 in The Lipstick Bar can't remember where the other one worked) who have gone on to die of HIV. One of them is fine, and we think the other is, though he is too shit scared to go and take a test. You are only likely to catch it if a) you have a cut on your penis, or develop one during intercourse :o vaginal juice enters the penis eye and seeps into the uretha (urinating within 24 hours absolves this), 3) you swallow a lot of her vaginal juice during oral sex; bearing in mind that the enzymes in your saliva will normally neutralize any virus, this third possible form of contraction is extremely rare.

You also need to look into the type of test being offered. You probably know that there are different types of HIV tests going, offering different success rates. You probably also know that the way they detect the virus is by counting antibodies in your bloodstream. Bearing in mind that your body will produce antibodies for the flu, you need to make sure that you are in good health when you go, and not recovering from anything, as this will affect your count and make the results harder to interpret.

It sounds like you are one of many (myself included) who have been to/lived in S.E.Asia, played around and are a bit concerned about it. Having taken the test three times myself I wouldn't hesitate to take it if I were you. It's very unlikely that you'll have anything, and when you get the results you'll be able to put your mind at rest, feeling a lot better. There are, of course, some good sites on the web about HIV, and they can be easily found using Google.

I took a couple of tests a few years ago and was negative, but I'd like to take another test just to get the all clear on my health.  I am mostly safe, but like many people, sometimes you start dating someone and take risks that you later regret.

I want to get tested, but I don't know the full legal implications of this in Thailand.  In the west, it is possible to get anonymous testing, but I don't think that is possible here in Thailand.

Thanks.

One of the reasons for starting this thread was to answer just this type of problem.

You can go into almost any private hospital in Thailand and request the test. The better ones will give your results within about 15 to 20 minutes.

The procedure in most is that you will have to fill in a registration card giving A name and address. (To the best of my knowledge, there is NO defined legal requirement for you to give your true name or address, or even admit you are anything more than a tourist just passing through.)

Thereafter you go through the simple process of drawing blood followed by the interminable wait for the results. (Even if only 15 minutes, this wait lasts half a lifetime and is frequently accompanied by terrible stomach cramps!)

I wish you all the luck un the world. May you alll be tested negative.

...First of all:  where is  the best place to be tested in BKK?

Thanks.

Me too,I exactly have the same question.Please someone answer it for us :D

I went to Bumrungrad Hospital (Sukhumvit soi 3). Most things there are a little expensive, I have been told.

Reason: to reassure my girlfriend. She went at the same time to reassure me. :o

Cost: (for everything - not just HIV) a little over 1000 baht, I think. Maybe 1500. I think the HIV test is only about 300 or 400 baht, but not sure.

I don't know if it's confidential - I didn't hear anyone shouting "This guy's negative!", but the result has got to be in their computer.

I don't think they'll throw you out - and when I got my long-stay visa, a negative HIV test was NOT a requirement. But I don't know what the situation is now.

Best of luck, and I hope you are -ve. :D

For the test there are quite a number of "walk in" lab/clinics that perform the test. Usually around 300 Baht and assuming they aren't busy I suppose, the result is given to you on a computer printout within 15 minutes.

Waiting for the result no matter where you have it done is agonizingly scary.

While we're discussing tests- I seem to recall someone posting on another thread somewhere that the Thai way of testing almost always uses only the less reliable type of test, and that if you get a positive on this one you're assumed to be infected without the more reliable (and expensive and time-consuming) labs. So, as a bit of advice, if you do go to one of the joe-no-name clinics/hospitals and get a positive, don't take it for granted- get a second opinion at one of the "big" hospitals and tell them you want the most expensive testing possible.

"Steven"

I've had two tests here. One a few years ago because I had a skin complaint at the time and the doctor totally freaked me out by saying that there was a very slim chance it was associated with syphillis or HIV - both tests negative.

The second a year ago for myself and new g/f to put our minds at rest - both negative.

These latter tests cost us 550 Baht each and results were ready 30-40 mins later.

Incidentally, the doctor signed a confidentiality form, explaining that if either of us was unlucky to test positive, he could tell noone - not police, authorities etc.

Supposedly through heterosexual sex you need to be cut to get the virus??  I'm not sure on this  or can you get it through body openings??  Like when the penis is inside a vaginia??  :o

HIV is a bloodborne pathogen. You contract the virus buy coming in contact with contaminated body fluids that contain blood or blood parts. Although it is difficult, you can contract HIV through osmosis (absorbed through the skin). It is especially easy to receive the virus through contact on thin membrane tissue such as the nostrils, or eyes. Sex is just one way to contract it.

Thanks.

Simple answer - you can go to the Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic. It is on Rachadamri Rd (walking dist. from Rama IV intersection) as part of the AIDS Research Center, or it was when I last went almost a year ago.

As the name implies, testing is anonymous, you are assigned a number. See the doctor, get blood drawn, wait half an hour or so, and get the result from the doctor. All done by number. A very clean, efficient and reliable place, and much cheaper than private hospitals. I'd been tested at Bamrungrad before but would never go there again having been to the Thai Red Cross place. TRC would, I expect, also be the best place if the worst came to the worst and you were positive. Apart from it being anonymous, they are certainly very experienced in counseling and advising people with HIV. They also do viral load testing for those who are positive. Much better place to find out the bad news than in a big hospital.

Yes Mike, you can get it through body openings. That's why they gave you a bulletproof vest while in Iraq :D

I had my test as a routine check before an operation in hospital,

but it did put my mind at rest.

There was no counselling offered at all in preparation for a possible + result.

A Thai friend who also had a test before an operation, was only told afterwards, "Oh by the way you have AIDS".

She freaked out.

You are only likely to catch it if a) you have a cut on your penis, or develop one during intercourse :o vaginal juice enters the penis eye and seeps into the uretha (urinating within 24 hours absolves this), 3) you swallow a lot of her vaginal juice during oral sex; bearing in mind that the enzymes in your saliva will normally neutralize any virus, this third possible form of contraction is extremely rare.

This is all rubbish, tosh, moronic banter, hearsay and bullshit. ALWAYS wear a condom and NEVER listen to the fools who claim to know all about AIDS.