I Used To Be A Farang But Now I Am Kon Thai!

tomuk76

What a waste of space, I've seen this thread already and read the pros and cons. Why don't you come up with something original?

Agreed. I wasted almost a minute of my life reading that nonsense the first time round, i'll certainly not be making the same mistake again. Regurgitating old threads is pretty sad.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this post that i have copied and pasted below i couldnt stop chuckling to myself, However i was just wondering if any of you lot knew any farangs that have gone to the extreme of thinking they are kon thai? C'mon a farang/westerner will always be a farang/westerner where he/she lives!

I remember the time i was travelling around india and i saw this western guy wearing a turbun buying something on a market from a indian wearing jeans and a t shirt! Now that was strange! I mean the the western guy!!

Anyway here is the post i found in on another topic debate! It was about being broke in thailand!

"I am always broke haha..but to live in Europe in the snow eating farang food and no temple round the corner to go to and speak with the monks, no Pad kaprao

or Gaeng Thai (แกงใต้) no going waddling in the stream catching fish (ทอดแหจับปลานิน) and maybe a million other things then i just couldn't live.

i make only 17000 baht a month dont work at all except on developing my website and taking the odd person to a temple for a tattoo and translating for them.

On this 17000 baht a month i live quite well only i dont have any savings.

I can understand someone who comes here lives in a beer bar, starbucks kfc and the pizza hut would prefer to go home and make money than live here broke, as they live the same western life here as they do at home...

but i cant eat that stuff i eat only thai food and for me a pad kaprao with a fried egg on top costs me 15 baht or 2 curries on rice i get for 20 to 25 baht

I also cant live without this food i dont eat bread and all that farang bull it isnt tasty and also expensive.

A coffee in starbucks costs 60 baht (uff what a waste thats 3 square meals for me which are much more delicious than a coffee)

I always wonder why some farang copme here as some people pack their tins of beans, marmit/vegemite, and all their other "home copmforts" and live on that when they are here...what is the point of being here if you cant adapt to the lifestyle and have to need your stuff from home country.

This is like taking your country with you.....why dont you just stay home if you dont like the real life/food/culture here?

i suppose some people only come for the women..which is as far as i am concerned stupid, as Thai women dont like farang they just like their money.

I couldn't take a wife who only wanted an easy life and a free ride but really all she is waiting for is me to die so she can go home and make a house and marry the thai she has always told me is her little brother or cousin.

I know a guy he employs his wife's little brother...well that guy is her boyfriend really i found out about it...but i ain't telling the farang because he has to learn himself.

Broke in Thailand? yes! But it is still better life than being middle class in Europe.

How many people in europe can afford a prawn and lemon grass soup every day eating out?

Even your average Thai can afford to eat fresh fish, prawns and lots of other lovely stuff on a "Broke" budget.

My 2 room condo apartment costs me 2700 baht a month and have internet for 300 a month 1mb another 100 baht a month gets me 50 cable tv channels...god i would have to work my ass off in Europe to keep all that together.

The broke thing isnt important as if you have a lot of money here then you either just blow it all on uinnecessary luxuries (ie starbucks) or some woman or thai guy syphons it out of you.

If you have nothing for them to take then they cant take it off you"

What a waste of space, I've seen this thread already and read the pros and cons. Why don't you come up with something original?

Well if its a really big waste of space thats why 2500 people have viewed this topic with 120 replies.

BTW the thread you read before was about knowing any skint farangs in thailand, this about something different to that! Kho jai mai?

After reading this post that i have copied and pasted below i couldnt stop chuckling to myself, However i was just wondering if any of you lot knew any farangs that have gone to the extreme of thinking they are kon thai? C'mon a farang/westerner will always be a farang/westerner where he/she lives!

I remember the time i was travelling around india and i saw this western guy wearing a turbun buying something on a market from a indian wearing jeans and a t shirt! Now that was strange! I mean the the western guy!!

Anyway here is the post i found in on another topic debate! It was about being broke in thailand!

"I am always broke haha..but to live in Europe in the snow eating farang food and no temple round the corner to go to and speak with the monks, no Pad kaprao

or Gaeng Thai (แกงใต้) no going waddling in the stream catching fish (ทอดแหจับปลานิน) and maybe a million other things then i just couldn't live.

i make only 17000 baht a month dont work at all except on developing my website and taking the odd person to a temple for a tattoo and translating for them.

I can understand someone who comes here lives in a beer bar, starbucks kfc and the pizza hut would prefer to go home and make money than live here broke, as they live the same western life here as they do at home...

but i cant eat that stuff i eat only thai food and for me a pad kaprao with a fried egg on top costs me 15 baht or 2 curries on rice i get for 20 to 25 baht

I also cant live without this food i dont eat bread and all that farang bull it isnt tasty and also expensive.

A coffee in starbucks costs 60 baht (uff what a waste thats 3 square meals for me which are much more delicious than a coffee)

I always wonder why some farang copme here as some people pack their tins of beans, marmit/vegemite, and all their other "home copmforts" and live on that when they are here...what is the point of being here if you cant adapt to the lifestyle and have to need your stuff from home country.

This is like taking your country with you.....why dont you just stay home if you dont like the real life/food/culture here?

i suppose some people only come for the women..which is as far as i am concerned stupid, as Thai women dont like farang they just like their money.

I couldn't take a wife who only wanted an easy life and a free ride but really all she is waiting for is me to die so she can go home and make a house and marry the thai she has always told me is her little brother or cousin.

I know a guy he employs his wife's little brother...well that guy is her boyfriend really i found out about it...but i ain't telling the farang because he has to learn himself.

Broke in Thailand? yes! But it is still better life than being middle class in Europe.

How many people in europe can afford a prawn and lemon grass soup every day eating out?

Even your average Thai can afford to eat fresh fish, prawns and lots of other lovely stuff on a "Broke" budget.

My 2 room condo apartment costs me 2700 baht a month and have internet for 300 a month 1mb another 100 baht a month gets me 50 cable tv channels...god i would have to work my ass off in Europe to keep all that together.

The broke thing isnt important as if you have a lot of money here then you either just blow it all on uinnecessary luxuries (ie starbucks) or some woman or thai guy syphons it out of you.

Well if its a really big waste of space thats why 2500 people have viewed this topic with 120 replies.

BTW the thread you read before was about knowing any skint farangs in thailand, this about something different to that! Kho jai mai?

At this moment I am the only one reading it and maybe I am the last one...but if so, nobody will know that and I am writing this for nobody...

I also like burger king – Pizza Company, is better then pizza hut. but i only like the KFC Zigger Bugerg, ive never Tryed starbucks...

Oh wait you started a new thread :o

Oh i remember you! You were the one who called me a idiot in thai writing! Did you get your missus to type it for you! Or Are you a farang who has mutated into a Thai?

I also like burger king – Pizza Company, is better then pizza hut. but i only like the KFC Zigger Bugerg, ive never Tryed starbucks...

Oh i remember you! You were the one who called me a idiot in thai writing! Did you get your missus to type it for you! Or Are you a farang who has mutated into a Thai?

I wasn’t the one who called you that, some one was on my username while being stupid!! Don’t worry I gave him a dead arm for you.!!! Apologies :D

ME not farang im a banana or is that an Egg?? --..--

I thought the post in question was good. I think he makes a fair point about living locally and I respect him for it. And, I do miss real Thai food!

To the aliens studying human characters:

We have farangs, who mutated into Thais, who openly declare, that they like Burger King and that Pizza Company is better then Pizza Hut, but they only like the KFC Zigger Burger and have never tried Starbucks

not to be mistaken with:

Farangs, who mutated into Thais, who secretly like Burger King and, think, that Pizza Company is better then Pizza Hut, but they only like the KFC Zigger Burger and have never tried Starbucks

:D

To the aliens studying human characters:

We have farangs, who mutated into Thais, who openly declare, that they like Burger King and that Pizza Company is better then Pizza Hut, but they only like the KFC Zigger Burger and have never tried Starbucks

not to be mistaken with:

Farangs, who mutated into Thais, who secretly like Burger King and, think, that Pizza Company is better then Pizza Hut, but they only like the KFC Zigger Burger and have never tried Starbucks

:D

My parents told me I wasn’t a mutant . :D

Hmmmm, My guess would be that the vast majority of the 2500 thought it may be a new and interesting thread, however, since less than 5% bothered to leave a reply, I would guess that most discovered their mistake and moved on. I only left a reply to encourage RakJungTorlae (who must be TV's most prolific newbie) to come up with something original.

Kho jai mai????? a relative of Kojak?? or did you mean Cowjai mai or Khao Jai Mai? But yes I do understand. Thank you for the reprimand. :o

Hmmmm, My guess would be that the vast majority of the 2500 thought it may be a new and interesting thread, however, since less than 5% bothered to leave a reply, I would guess that most discovered their mistake and moved on. I only left a reply to encourage RakJungTorlae (who must be TV's most prolific newbie) to come up with something original.

Kho jai mai????? a relative of Kojak?? or did you mean Cowjai mai or Khao Jai Mai? But yes I do understand. Thank you for the reprimand. :o

So you are cocky as well as clever then! Well if you look at all the other threads on TV then i would say that the % of posts versus views would work out the same! Does that mean everyone loses interested after reading the thread or is it just that they enjoy reading without participating? Should of i asked a moderator to delete this thread cus because of you? Are u that important?

Khao Jai Mai? (sorry for the 1 letter mistake) dam_n it some people can be so critical over the smallest things, How do you get by in thailand?

We drive a nice car.

Liar liar, sarong on fire ! You don't have a car anymore (unless you've bought a new one in the last couple of weeks ?) :D

When I'm home, I live my style, not Thai style, or Canadian style, or "I wanna pretend I'm Thai" style.

I also eat Western style food in my Thai style apartment while watching American movies on my Japanese TV. Some days I'll ride my (American manufactured) Harley to a (Russian operated) club, drink (Canadian made) whiskey and snack on (Thai prepared) Japanese sushi.

I respect the local customs (that I'm aware of), eat what and where I feel like (farang or Thai, street vendor or fancy-schmancy restaurant, it all comes out the same in the end) :o

I've eaten in most of the Fast Food places (MacDonalds/KFC/Burger Queen/Pizza Hut/Subway) and many "farang" restaurants, but I'm also just as happy to get one of those donair things from a street vendor, or some yummy banana pancakes, fruit smoothies, fried chicken, BBQ whatever, ect.

My landlady jokingly refers to me (when talking to her friends or someone new) as "Khon Thai" when they ask where I'm from. I tell them I'm from Petchabun (Wichian Buri). They get a puzzled look on their face for a second before realising I'm joking with them and having a bit of a laugh.

Having a sense of humour, speaking a bit of Thai, having a land-lady that considers you to be her younger brother, and eating Khao Pad Gai everyday doesn't make you Thai though, and if I spend the rest of my life here, and my grandchildren have to cremate what's left of me one day, I will still be just a farang.

Now where did I leave my ชอสพริก :D

For a guy going on about Europe he talks awfully like an American ie ass

Another loser

This seems to have really got out of hand...

If you want to go to Starbucks and have a coffee, go to Starbucks and have a coffee. If you don't, don't. Simple as that. It seems like a waste of everyone's time to argue about whether or not they like Starbucks coffee or not.

The same goes for the Thai .Vs. Farang food/KFC debate...eat what you want! Who cares what anyone else thinks?

As they say here... 'Up to you!'

So you are cocky as well as clever then! why thankyou! Well if you look at all the other threads on TV then i would say that the % of posts versus views would work out the same! Some do, some don't Does that mean everyone loses interested after reading the thread or is it just that they enjoy reading without participating? Stuffed if I know! Should of i asked a moderator to delete this thread cus because of you? Since you suggested it.... Are u that important? My mother thinks so.

Khao Jai Mai? (sorry for the 1 letter mistake) dam_n it some people can be so critical -hardly critical, if I wanted to be critical I would point out all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors over the smallest things, How do you get by in thailand? Did you not notice the smiley at the end of my post? it was a tongue in cheek comment, obviously wasted on you. :D

For a guy going on about Europe he talks awfully like an American ie ass

Another loser

No No, he isnt from europe or america, He is kon Thai. :o

Just out of curiosity, is it really necessary to quote the ENTIRE post, OVER and OVER again, just to add a one liner at the end ?

I'm just wondering, because, to me, it isn't really that much more difficult to click the "Add Reply" icon instead of the "Reply icon. I know it's a whole inch or two further away, but the little bit of extra effort required would be made up for by not having to scroll through screen after screen of the exact same post, just to see the couple of words (or a smiley) posted at the end.

Maybe I'm just underestimating the difficulty factor. :o

Yep, the O/P certainly has something to brag about. I for one don't want to live "like a thai", EVER..

His budget (the whopping equivalent of about 500US a month) wouldn't buy him a cardboard box under a bridge in US so I'm glad he's living large here. Unless I am mistaken, that amount is at least twice what the 'average thai' makes in working in a factory or some other mindless job. So his grandiose plan of living live 'like' the native inhabitants in this country goes out the window.

I have lived in several pissant developing third world countries (this one being no exception). I lived in, co-existed with, and tolerated the natives' idiosyncratic behavior as well as any alleged oxymoronic cultural behavior simply because I was in their country. I can say without a doubt; not once was I tempted to 'live like the natives', morph or mutate into some pseudo-native or join any Borg-like 'herd mentality' collective of theirs.

Sadly, I think he is another mindless sock puppet 'wanna-b-thai' foreigner, wearing a color coordinated shirt with a matching bracelet (probably with his name tattooed in thai on his forearm) extolling the virtues and embracing the alleged culture of the ever smiling yet diminutive inhabitants which populate the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Although it's a tough diagnosis with a grim prognosis; I second the opinion that he is most definitely ปัญญาอ่อน possibly with a dose of โง่ thrown in. I suggest immediate intensive in-patient treatment of Electroconvulsive therapy coupled with high doses of thorazine. I would recommend an intervention by his friends, IF he had any..

I admire you; it must be so hard for you to put up with living around such inferior beings, yet you deign to grace their countries with your presence. What a sacrifice you make to enlighten and improve the minds of the worthless and unworthy. Thank you again for such a wonderfully uplifting post, and for being such a shining beacon of wisdom, generosity and dignity.

''The broke thing isnt important as if you have a lot of money here then you either just blow it all on uinnecessary luxuries (ie starbucks) or some woman or thai guy syphons it out of you.

He's got a dam_n good point there,i'll give him that.

''The broke thing isnt important as if you have a lot of money here then you either just blow it all on uinnecessary luxuries (ie starbucks) or some woman or thai guy syphons it out of you.

He might be broke for a farang in thailand, so alot of people say, but he thinks he is thai, that is the point to this topic!

He might be broke for a farang in thailand, so alot of people say, but he thinks he is thai, that is the point to this topic!

I think i'm Frankie Dettori but who cares!