Driving Practice In Chiang Mai

Greenside

I have been teaching my girlfriend to drive our (manual) car on a huge un-used car park at Ratchapreuk but recently ran foul of a miserable jobsworth who felt he had to ask his boss before letting us on there. Predictably, unfamiliar with the concept of practice before going out on the road to cause havoc, he said mai dai and appeals to management have so far been unsuccessful despite my offering to rent it (thought there might be a business to be made there!).

Does anyone know of a good place we could go for driving practice? It needs to be flat, gravelled or tarmac, big enough to get up into 4th gear, virtually traffic free and without high kerbs, speed bumps, open drains and other dangerous obsticles. I know that there are a couple of places you can use (one behind Tesco on the Superhighway) but they're pretty much like driving around on a field and no real good in my opinion.

If anyone can put me in touch with a high level contact at Ratchapreuk I would be pleased to hear from them by PM - it's a crime to see all that money being spent to keep the place going with minimum imagination devoted to making it pay for itself. All suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by Greenside

The area behind Index/Carrefour is OK and didn't used to have too much traffic.

Try some of the moobahns. Kullapan 5,6,7 is big enough to get good practice; that's where I taught my daughter to drive.

Normally the guards don't bother you but I know some people who live there.

The moobahn behind Kad Farang was another place we frequented.

Ban Wang Tan another one.

As far as I remember we didn't kill any of the residents in the process, but watch out for the water features :o

The area behind Index/Carrefour is OK and didn't used to have too much traffic.

Try some of the moobahns. Kullapan 5,6,7 is big enough to get good practice; that's where I taught my daughter to drive.

Normally the guards don't bother you but I know some people who live there.

The moobahn behind Kad Farang was another place we frequented.

Ban Wang Tan another one.

As far as I remember we didn't kill any of the residents in the process, but watch out for the water features :o

Behind Index has nasty unmarked speed bumps placed in seemingly random places but Ban Wang Tan is a good thought, thanks.

Sand Creek golf course, very wide driveway about a km long, 2 lanes and no buildings.

If you dont know it, Sand Creek is a development that went bust in the 1990s.

Iain

Steering is still a bit of an issue! Where is Sand Creek?

I suspect that security at 700 Year Stadium would have something to say once they catch on to what you're doing.

Chiang Mai Lakeland off the Canal Road should suit your purpose well - huge stretches of road layout and very few houses/cars there.

If you drive up the Hang Dong Rd, The road all the way from the Airport is two lanes. About 15-20km up this rd, just as you reach Hang Dong itself the road will narrow to 1 lane. As it does this look immediately to your right. You will see a large gravel area that I have been seen being used for driving practice many times. Its set just behind the road, no traffic or people whatsoever and is fine to use. I have had a bit of fun wit a real wheel drive car in there and no-one minds you using the land.

If you drive up the Hang Dong Rd, The road all the way from the Airport is two lanes. About 15-20km up this rd, just as you reach Hang Dong itself the road will narrow to 1 lane. As it does this look immediately to your right. You will see a large gravel area that I have been seen being used for driving practice many times. Its set just behind the road, no traffic or people whatsoever and is fine to use. I have had a bit of fun wit a real wheel drive car in there and no-one minds you using the land.

About 15-20 kms from the airport, as you approach Hang Dong?

You should be in Sanpathong by then & overshot Hang Dong by a not inconsiderable distance.

Good luck finding the place.

I know it ; its on the corner as you turn into Moo Bahn Roong Arun (right hand side coming from Chiang Mai) and just before Hang Dong market. I think they sell gravel and sand in there. Didn't realise it was that big.

About 15-20 kms from the airport, as you approach Hang Dong?

You should be in Sanpathong by then & overshot Hang Dong by a not inconsiderable distance.

Good luck finding the place.

Sorry for trying to help.... Next time I'll be sure to measure the exact distance to avoid replies like yours. You havent actually provided any new info on this thread just knocked mine.

And yes cmsally it is on the corner as you turn into Moo Bahn Roong Arun. Im not sure of the exact size but im sure its big enough for driving practise. I'm not going to guess at the size while Mr.Davidgtr is around. He may have another useful comment to add.

The op musr have the patience of job to give driveing lessons to his girlfriend (it may be ex shortly) I have tried with a wife and a couple of daughters, besides being scared sh..less a few times I found my temperment is not suited to drivers education. Good luck

The op musr have the patience of job to give driveing lessons to his girlfriend (it may be ex shortly) I have tried with a wife and a couple of daughters, besides being scared sh..less a few times I found my temperment is not suited to drivers education. Good luck

The trick is to rent a manual shift car.....

I taught my ex to drive this way, and didn't mind all the gear clashing, grinding, etc., and after five days was able to get her to be able to stop in the middle of a steep hill and start up again without sliding backwards. I admit that I did feel badly for the clutch wear and tear, but we rented from "Rent-a-Wreck" so I figured it was OK. :o

Stone me! Look away for a couple of hours and this harmless thread runs off the rails...

Following ianian's post we drove to San Kampeng (sp?) to find Sandy Creek but failed. We did, however, find an bizarre run down moo ban with a small lake, a windmill, a restaurant and kilometers of deserted semi overgrown single track road which was just perfect and we'll being heading back there tomorrow (that's by way of a warning :o ).

Slapout, so far I have found my temprament well suited for teaching and my girlfriend did really well today with not a gear crunch to her name. She's a bit vague in the steering department and for some reason still transforms every corner into a wrestling match with the wheel but has mastered the clutch and brake which makes us both feel a whole lot better.

Thanks to all who gave constuctive advice.

I'd still be interested to hear how other TV members have fared getting their nearest and dearest to drive. Auto? Manual? On the road? Find an intstructor?

LIFE'S MOST HARROWING AND RELATIONSHIP-BUSTING MOMENTS

Since there have already been some very good practical suggestions responding to OP, I'd like to reflect on his task and the challenges it represents. Basically, although his purpose and approach seem very rational, I think he is "asking for it" to try to personally teach his girl friend to drive, especially if it might involve learning to drive (Can't recall the detail!) a manual transmission car. If he can actually do it, he has successfully surmounted one of the most difficult emotional challenges that can ever intrude on personal relations. I am not certain how many have achieved this successfully; certainly less than those who have received VCs. Come to think of it, most VC recipients died!

I have actually survived this near-death experience, but not with a girl friend or spouse. It was with my children. And it was with a manual transmission. We do actually speak today with one another without mediators. I probably lost at least two of nine lives (or nearly!), but I survived. Perhaps OP will, too! ANyone want to place a bet on his success in Thailand with a Thai girlfriend?

This idle post ends with a practical suggestion: Here, in Chiang Mai, don't even try to teach someone driving on a manual transmission. That's asking more than a bit too much in my view.

Sand Creek golf course, very wide driveway about a km long, 2 lanes and no buildings.

If you dont know it, Sand Creek is a development that went bust in the 1990s.

Iain

Sorry, just had to comment on this constructive suggestion. Actually, the fairways at Sand Creek would work quite well for learning how to drive, especially four-wheel drive vehicles. Might even improve them. The greens? Well, if she doesn't lay too much rubber! But watch out for the water. The place was well-named.

Too bad about the place --- if you can find it! --- but don't drink the water!

This idle post ends with a practical suggestion: Here, in Chiang Mai, don't even try to teach someone driving on a manual transmission. That's asking more than a bit too much in my view.

Your point taken but she did so well today I'm going to continue down that route for now - converting from manual to auto shouldn't be to tough for her, certainly much easier than the other way round. I don't have (read hate) an automatic but they're undeniably simpler in traffic so I may have to acquire one for her a bit sooner than expected.

So far I'm pleased to report not a cross word in the car or out of it.

I don't understand the Sand Creek stuff. Help!

Your point taken but she did so well today I'm going to continue down that route for now - converting from manual to auto shouldn't be to tough for her, certainly much easier than the other way round. I don't have (read hate) an automatic but they're undeniably simpler in traffic so I may have to acquire one for her a bit sooner than expected.

So far I'm pleased to report not a cross word in the car or out of it.

I don't understand the Sand Creek stuff. Help!

Wish you well!

Otherwise, Sand Creek is a disaster of a golf course, but very, very cheap to play! It is known by some as the "cow pasture." Sorry for the inside golf joke!

Just one more point for greenside, I did notice and it seems to be part of the driving style worldwide to sight see while driving. I notice that many new drivers when thet look to the left, they pull the steering wheel right and visa versa. The very recent studies indicate that even with no hands mobil phone, drivers attention to traffic etc is reduced immensely. I have always contended this also includes the driver who talks non stop while driving. I have found that closeing my eyes and not letting myself be drawn into the coversation with my TW helps somewhat (sometimes not) or just driving myself and let her jabber with an occasional grunt . Again good luck

I tried to teach my wife to drive our manual mini pickup years ago in HKT. One toppled brick wall later it was off to the local driving college. When we bought the big truck I got an automatic and never looked back.

That outer ring road seems to have it's share of ultra slow drivers so maybe that's a good spot for general highway training...

Hi Folks,

Before I open my mouth, sorry if I ruffle any feathers inadvertantly. ( Wai with folded hands !!!! )

Don't they have any driving schools in Chiang Mai ?

Makes life easier and they do have special cars with controls on both sides of the pit. They are licensed to teach and for about 1200-1500 rupees here in India (around 1000-1200 B in thailand) they would teach you daily for one hour for about a fortnight or 20 days( come and pick you up from your place) and the driving license is also thrown in the deal along with few theory classes and a visit to a garage.

Saves your time, gas and trips to local transport office for the driving license ( saves your your beautiful sedan too !!!! ).

I had my wife, my daughters, my son, my live-in servant taught this way.

P.S. ( I have never lived in or visited chiang mai, but intend to come for about a couple of months this coming november after reading so much about it. So please accept and adopt me).

There is a driving school on the superhighway (CM-Lampang) almost opposite BigC (a bit further back towards Sank. intersection). It is just a big area of dirt. Paid for some lessons for my son and before the first day there was torrential rain which continued the whole 2 weeks of his lessons. The place looked like a 4 wheel drive offroad assault course - mud everywhere.

He thought it was the best thing ever :o

After that driving with no mud on the flat seemed to be easy for him. :D

Hi Folks,

CM Sally's post highlights one of the two "schools" I know of and, as she says, it's just a bit of waste ground with bumps and ruts more suited to 4x4 training. We went to enquire about three months ago and for 2000 baht they'll do "lessons". Looking at this setup is what decided me to go DIY. Seems locals just go out with a blind and/or extremely unimaginative friend or relative and head for the nearest highway. Judging by some of the driving, it appears a large percentage of the population is under this kind of tutition at any one time.

Our lesson went very well today, attaining the dizzy heights of cruising in 4th for a minute or two at a time. One of the drawbacks of this training area became apparant this afternoon: there were quite a few puppies and kittens playing around in the road when we arrived although after we'd been round a couple of times they seemed to have decided to lie quietly on the grass verge without moving so I don't expect any more trouble from them tomorrow.

Hi Folks,

Before I open my mouth, sorry if I ruffle any feathers inadvertantly. ( Wai with folded hands !!!! )

I had my wife, my daughters, my son, my live-in servant taught this way.

P.S. ( I have never lived in or visited chiang mai, but intend to come for about a couple of months this coming november after reading so much about it. So please accept and adopt me).

Oh my god...

They( The Thai, with all due respect) actually have schools that teach 'em to drive this way?????

Figures. :D

I made the attempt to actually teach my oldest daughter when she turned 16, numerous years ago..

I was 40 years old when I got into the car...fast forward 15 minutes later, and I was around 56 years old when I got back out.

Toyota, manual 5 speed.

Hired a instructor the next day.

She got her license...I retained my life.

She still drives like shit at 30 yrs old. :D:o

Hey Greensides

I know you've got a little tyke in the house too these days, and I think I have an idea of a classic two-fer. If you don't already have a video game system, I highly recommend any game, and especially a driving game as I'm a true believer that they improve reflexes. A game is just a game, and nobody loses, whereas on the streets sudden swerves and overreacting can mean big trouble. For any detractors, I know there's a big difference betw the real road and a vid game; I'm only talking reflexes and abstract coordination things here. I attribute much of my own accident free record to the endless times I spent in arcades in the 80's. And then the two birds (two-fer) aspect is that the kid gets to have a video game system in the house to screw around on too (when allowed). Keep us posted on the progress.

there were quite a few puppies and kittens playing around in the road when we arrived although after we'd been round a couple of times they seemed to ...lie quietly on the grass verge without moving ...

Hmmm, interesting wording.... what did you do on your revolutions around the track that the kittens and puppies are no longer moving?

I know things are a bit different in Thailand but this is what normally occurs in England:

1. Pupil goes to professional who sets them off on the right road (no pun intended). Once safe to drive without dual controls, encouraged to get in as much private practise as possibe whilst continuing with, usually weekly, lessons with the ADI who then subsequently prepares them for test.

It is fact that those pupils who have access to private practise have a higher pass rate.

OR

2. Learner is taught entirely buy parent/whoever. Takes test, fails abysmally & wonders why. Engages professional in the hope of being "polished up" (In a couple of lessons!!) for next test attempt.

ADI finds driving is poor with many faults, omissions & bad habits, having been taught by the parent/whoever, who "thinks" they are a good driver, but in truth have never had their own driving looked at since the day they passed their test.

ADI then has to "undo" much of what has been taught, go back to basics, & start again from the beginning. This takes longer & is much harder to do than coaching a novice through the syllabus from the beginning.

OP. If i may offer a couple of tips?

A. Clutch control. A very important part of vehicle control. Takes 10 minutes to teach this. Stop on a slight incline. Teach the pupil to balance the car by finding the biting point, releasing the hand brake & being able to hold the car stationary. (easier with a diesel as no revs are required, only low revs are needed with a petrol engine).

Then dipping the clutch just slightly, (NOT all the way down) letting it roll back just a metre or 2, by allowing the clutch back up, arrest the roll and hold steady again. Up a bit further & move foward back to the original stopping point. Stop just by depressing the clutch enough to stop forward motion, but not enough to allow any roll back.

Repeat as necessary.

B. Steering. Most learners who struggle with steering - its not the physical turning of the wheel that's the problem, but learning when and how much lock to apply & when to take it off. A must to teach "push -pull steering".

You need a training area where there are visible straight lines. A marked out car park is ideal. Go around a large rectangle, slowly (2nd gear?) steering 90 degrees at a time to run parallel with the lines. (just far enough away so she can see the line down the drivers side of the car). Usually its obvious that the struggle is knowing when to apply & remove lock. You guide her on this, but probably not tell her how much lock to apply...let her find that out for herself. Usually they want to apply the lock too early or too late & suddenly.They also tend to think that they must be parallel with the new line before taking the lock off again, whereas in reality ofcourse we start to feed it off before you come parallel with the new line. (i.e. inline in the new road in the real world).

I hope you understand, its not easy to explain in words alone.

Once confident doing this, reverse it & do a right handed circuit Then figure 8's.

The 3 point turn (more correctly called "Turn in the road" is useful for teaching steering and clutch control as it requires a LOT of steering work with fine clutch control to move at low speed.

Once she's built up steering confidence, & you venture out on the road, make sure she does not look down at the gear lever when changing gear..... if she does the steering WILL go left at the same time!

Incidentally, can she ride a push bike? Often times those who struggle with steering can't.

Hope it helps.

Jonathan. DSA ADI. RoSPA Gold

DSA ADI = Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor

RoSPA = Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents

• 2 weeks later...

Last week across from the 700 Year Stadium and down the road before the large reservoir (about a km), in the direction of the Hotel Phucomb intersection, there were several vehicles doing driving lessons on the currently vacant site of the Chiangmai Winter festival. Huge area, flat with many dirt roadways along which folks sell their products at the fair. Might suit you... :o