Walk Of Shame

whatsoever

Following months of gentle persuasion, a good friend and his wife travelled from the Uk to spend thier summer vacation in Thailand whilst visiting me and the family. Once they had settled into their hotel they were both keen to take a stroll along the Pattaya beach. Mid way through our stroll i could see they werent at all impressed. The beach itself was heavily littered with all kinds of rubbish, and the promonade was mostly impassible due to puddles of water from last nights heavy rain. There was electrical wiring hanging out of - what i think must have been lamp stands which have been removed. Many of the new fixtures were broken and numerous tiles were cracked and broken. The fountain at Pataya Klang area wasnt working and the surface coating is peeling - and generally looks a mess. At the end of the beach by the Thai airways office, the fountain is also broken and looks a complete eye sore. To add to this they were approached a number of times by Time Share touts, and couldnt help but notice the hookers soliciting passing ferangs.

To cut a long story short - they said they had never, in all their travels, seen such a disgusting mess. I felt quite ashamed!

Considering the TAT heavily promotes Pattaya as 'Pattaya Clean City' i was wondering if they feel any shame. Especially since 'face' is a prominent aspect of Thai culture!

Edited by whatsoever

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder why family types go to Pattaya for holidays anyway, considering all the other options available in Thailand.

Yeah,, it should be cleaned up but I mostly blame the travel agents, horses for courses and all that.

Following months of gentle persuasion, a good friend and his wife travelled from the Uk to spend thier summer vacation in Thailand whilst visiting me and the family. Once they had settled into their hotel they were both keen to take a stroll along the Pattaya beach. Mid way through our stroll i could see they werent at all impressed. The beach itself was heavily littered with all kinds of rubbish, and the promonade was mostly impassible due to puddles of water from last nights heavy rain. There was electrical wiring hanging out of - what i think must have been lamp stands which have been removed. Many of the new fixtures were broken and numerous tiles were cracked and broken. The fountain at Pataya Klang area wasnt working and the surface coating is peeling - and generally looks a mess. At the end of the beach by the Thai airways office, the fountain is also broken and looks a complete eye sore. To add to this they were approached a number of times by Time Share touts, and couldnt help but notice the hookers soliciting passing ferangs.

To cut a long story short - they said they had never, in all their travels, seen such a disgusting mess. I felt quite ashamed!

Considering the TAT heavily promotes Pattaya as 'Pattaya Clean City' i was wondering if they feel any shame. Especially since 'face' is a prominent aspect of Thai culture!

The same could be said of the pavement outside Bangkok Bank leading up to Sala Deang (Silom).......a total embarrassment.

I am afraid that Pattaya could get worse if something positive is not done.Over a period of a few years the area has been improved,but the problem is shoddy,pathetic workmanship and totaly inept controls of work management.Will not even mention the bung money which reduces the cost,hence reduces the quality.

FEFFEE

here are many places to visit and many places to live in Pattaya that are not seedy.Do you go to Pattaya very often my friend,because you have the blinkered horse syndrome

When I was new to Thailand some ten years ago I went a lot to Pattaya. I have friends living there. I know there are many places to visit and much to see in Pattaya. Still, if any of my friends was coming to Thailand for the first time I would absolutely not take them to Pattaya or Phuket for that matter.

Thailand has so much more to offer. I personally like rural Isaan or the Chantaburi area.

I guess Pattaya is not for everyone.

I´m not british and I don´t know what the blinkered horse syndrome implies??

I can't agree more, the promanade along Pattaya's beach road has the makings of something to be enjoyed by all - sad that it is awash with the detritus that gets washed up in Pattaya.

If you build it, they will come. As the old saying goes.

Most of the country is a dump.

When my family came here in 2003 (bkk & phuket) they were not that impressed.

My brother asked me why everywhere looked the same 'it's all 7 elevens and service stations' he gasped.

You must bear some of the blame for all those months of persuasion. What were you thinking?

the problem is shoddy,pathetic workmanship and totaly inept controls of work management.

You nailed it. The beautification ideas are quite sound but the workmanship is flawed.

Poor workmanship is not confined to just the beach promenade. A walk along the shore line from Bali-Hai pier to the lighthouse further displays the poor workmanship that has gone into the beautification program.

You must bear some of the blame for all those months of persuasion to bring them to such a place! What were you thinking?!

One of the points i tried to make in my OP was that the TAT promotes Pattaya as a family seaside destination. I have seen many Indian, Korean, Arab etc etc. familys coming off the beach and one cant help but wonder how this goes to promote Pattaya or indeed Thailand.

What is the point of spending thier budget promting a false impression - surely non of these people/familys would return or indeed promote the place!

One of the points i tried to make in my OP was that the TAT promotes Pattaya as a family seaside destination. I have seen many Indian, Korean, Arab etc etc. familys coming off the beach and one cant help but wonder how this goes to promote Pattaya or indeed Thailand.

What is the point of spending thier budget promting a false impression - surely non of these people/familys would return or indeed promote the place!

Would you care to explain?!

You must bear some of the blame for all those months of persuasion to bring them to such a place! What were you thinking?!

I never really walk along the beach - so i didnt realize the extent of the squaller. As i said i feel ashamed! however, i am not Thai - so my question also was - dont Thais feel ashamed especially the TAT people.

Whats with the Thai face thing!!!

Would you care to explain?!

Sorry thats not so clear! I mean a lot of these familys wether they be Arabs or Germans eg. obviously think they are coming to a resort with pleasent facilities (beach etc.) So the TAT have promoted a false impression!

FEFFEE

here are many places to visit and many places to live in Pattaya that are not seedy.Do you go to Pattaya very often my friend,because you have the blinkered horse syndrome

Whilst you are correct the fact is that people have to get around town to those non-seedy places and that is what the OP was complaining about. I am one of Pattaya's staunchest defenders but am becoming heartily sick of the sh1t standard the place is being allowed to descend into. City hall and all it's attendant vermin should be razed to the ground and a new council team of professional managers installed to run the city in a manner befitting a major tourist destination. But I am afraid that is the impossible dream.

ive never been to pattaya, but lots like it be happy for them. if they cleaned up pattaya who knows all the dregs may move to bkk.

op description could fit many places in bkk as some have pointed out.

THIS IS LOS PEOPLE , AREA WHERE SEX IS IN YOUR FACE, GET OVER IT. all you guys do is complain about it, embrace it. partake if you will....lol.

HEY GUESTHOUSE, do you have any joy in your life? los is one big party, enjoy!

i read in a paper yesterday becoz the general japan tourist counts r dwindling due to rising airfare, etc. thai tourist bureau will now go after japaneses students. a group well known to be insulated from the rising cost of travelling........lol. i love it!

Edited by farang555

I would not take any of my friends there unless they really wanted to see the night life. Because everything else is crap. walking down the street is depressing, I felt like spin kicking random people just to cure the bordem a bit

Postthai

The OP was about talking about a walk down the beach of the resort heavily promoted as Pattaya BEACH resort.

Sometimes called Thailand's/SEA premier beach resort.

I walked down the "beach bar" in January and you could see the effort to make it look good but in

reality it and much of the if not all of the streets of Pattaya are a shit hole.

You must bear some of the blame for all those months of persuasion. What were you thinking?

Exactly. It's not like this situation just cropped up overnight.

A better idea would have been to stroll down #2 road instead. But if the sight of "poor, sweet, innocent farm girls" soliciting customers is a major concern, then a trip to Jomtien Beach would have been better.

maybe tourist bureau has difficlulty becoz they know all they got thats different from other countries to promte is SEX. and they really cant tell people to come for sex... can they?

you've got a point there - maybe they could just tell people to cum.... :o

Exactly. It's not like this situation just cropped up overnight.

A better idea would have been to stroll down #2 road instead. But if the sight of "poor, sweet, innocent farm girls" soliciting customers is a major concern, then a trip to Jomtien Beach would have been better.

Never seen any sweet or innocent looking farm girls - i'm all for that. Seen a lot of dirty, vulgar low life retards.