27 Megs Cb Radio In Thailand

Pattayabill

I'm a wrinkly getting to near retirement age trying to do things I did in my youth while I have the time left thats not too strenious, used to play about with Citizen Band two way radio's on the 27 meg frequencies & used to have hours of fun, have searched the net, made various enquiries, doe'snt seem to be problem useing this 27 meg frequency in Thailand but can't seem to get the transievers to start playing & making new friends. Only ones availible I have seen are the Thailand red coloured high band walkie takies that hotels, shop staff, security people, with a general use in small business.

Does anyone have any information that will be of assistance.

Hi Bill,

I don't think that you're going to have much fun on CB here, which is not on 27 mHz, unless you speak fluent Thai. Even the real expat hams here only on VHF find that to be the case. If you live in the States, it's stupidly easy to get a real amateur radio license now, which you can convert to a Thai ticket and enjoy real international conversations on HF in your declining years...

Or the modern equivalent - internet forums and Skype etc.

I know that some online games and flight sims allow real-time conversation between players.

I would suggest that there are more computer users than radio users these days - more likely to get a good 'net' going.

I'm a wrinkly getting to near retirement age trying to do things I did in my youth while I have the time left thats not too strenious, used to play about with Citizen Band two way radio's on the 27 meg frequencies & used to have hours of fun, have searched the net, made various enquiries, doe'snt seem to be problem useing this 27 meg frequency in Thailand but can't seem to get the transievers to start playing & making new friends. Only ones availible I have seen are the Thailand red coloured high band walkie takies that hotels, shop staff, security people, with a general use in small business.

Does anyone have any information that will be of assistance.

pattaya Bill,

Look at www.rastforum.com.

It is a forum that some of the expat HAM radio guys use here in the LOS.

Mike

Ok time to blow the dust off the HR2510 thats burried in the closet...

I had to stop using it because of the splash going through all my apartment building neighbors phones and TV's. :o

Happy skip hunting...

Hi - there is some Thai language activity on 27MHz, but this is not a legal band in Thailand and you are risking prosecution by using such equipment.

The red 245MHz 'CB' transceivers can be bought and used without a licence. But you will really only find yourself speaking to security guards :D

The 2 metre amateur band in Thailand is very popular - with Thais. So it's all Thai language.

The only opportunity for English language radio communications is on HF - shortwave, as has been mentioned by the last poster. But to get an HF radio amateur licence in Thailand requires you to either take an exam (in written Thai!), or to have an existing overseas amateur radio HF licence which can usually be easily converted to a Thai licence. so it's catch-22 if you are already living in Thailand and don't have an overseas licence :o

I chat regularly on the 20 metre band from my base here in Phuket. Most evenings, there are plenty of 'hams' in India, Indonesia, China etc that I can have a chat with.

Simon (HS0ZIB)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I recently purchased a CB radio and after installing a 5/8 antenna on the roof I noticed that there are many evening QSO on various channels, and not only security guards.... Mainly Thai speaking but some english especially on ch 73

For example, are very active in Phuket this channels:

01 245 000 MHz with stations in the city phuket

54 245.6625 MHz with stations Rawai area

73 245.900 MHz with stations from Phi Phi Island, Koh Yao Island, Phuket.

From 20,00 to 21,00 approx there is a kind of signal check service on ch 54 - 01 - 80

I found very friendly person on radio and now I'm one listening on ch. 73 as Wat Thai 07

Ciao

• 9 months later...