Border Hopping

I'm preparing to leave Maui in December for Thailand and have (you guessed it) more questions..dah!

Anyway, i'm confused..dah again..

If I get a tourist visa it claims to be for 60 days, but on this one site that I went to that helps you get your visa for a fee, it claims it's a 90 day visa?

What's the truth? This woman I called there didn't seem to know much..just show me the money attitude..

Anyway, I'd love to have this clarified..I've tried calling the consulate near here,and they don't pick up.

Also, can I cross the border for an indefinite period of time?

If not, is there a country near by where I can get a visa renewal without having to fly back to the U.S.?

I guess the only way around this is to get the multiple entry visa, but not certain yet that I want to transfer $20,000 U.S. to an account there to do so..

Does it have to be this figure?

Aloha, and thanks for some clarification!

I'm preparing to leave Maui in December for Thailand and have (you guessed it) more questions..dah!

If I get a tourist visa it claims to be for 60 days, but on this one site that I went to that helps you get your visa for a fee, it claims it's a 90 day visa?

What's the truth? This woman I called there didn't seem to know much..just show me the money attitude..

Anyway, I'd love to have this clarified..I've tried calling the consulate near here,and they don't pick up.

If not, is there a country near by where I can get a visa renewal without having to fly back to the U.S.?

I guess the only way around this is to get the multiple entry visa, but not certain yet that I want to transfer $20,000 U.S. to an account there to do so..

If you're flying in and are not staying for more then 30 days, then you will get a 30 day tourist visa stamped at the Airport at Don Muang :o No need to transfer any money.

If you're flying in and are not staying for more then 30 days, then you will get a 30 day tourist visa stamped at the Airport at Don Muang :o No need to transfer any money.

I called the Royal Thai Consulate General in Coral Gables Fl 305-445-7577 they picked up on first ring and were very helpful and friendly ask for Anna

I called the Royal Thai Consulate General in Coral Gables Fl 305-445-7577 they picked up on first ring and were very helpful and friendly ask for Anna

A tourist visa enables a stay of 60 days, and it is extendable by 30 days more in Thailand. If you get two entries you can, by crossing a border once, you can stay up to 6 months in Thailand.

You don't say why you want to come here, how long you want to stay or what you want to do so it is rather hard to give advise.

You mention $20,000 so will assume you are age 50 or over and thinking of retirement here? If that is the case show a bank account with that amount of money (in USA) and request a non-immigrant O visa which will allow 90 days stay before you have to either leave or transfer money and obtain retirement extension here in Thailand at an immigration office.

You can always cross the border but if you do not obtain a re-entry permit first your visa stay is dead.

A tourist visa enables a stay of 60 days, and it is extendable by 30 days more in Thailand. If you get two entries you can, by crossing a border once, you can stay up to 6 months in Thailand.

shiva: If I get a tourist visa it claims to be for 60 days, but on this one site that I went to that helps you get your visa for a fee, it claims it's a 90 day visa?

Sheesh dr., you're going to put these for-fee online services out of business... :o

it's amazing that they offer their "advice" for money when all they really can do is tell you that a 60 day tourist visa is extendable, in country, to 90 days.

shiva: If I get a tourist visa it claims to be for 60 days, but on this one site that I went to that helps you get your visa for a fee, it claims it's a 90 day visa?

Sheesh dr., you're going to put these for-fee online services out of business... :D

it's amazing that they offer their "advice" for money when all they really can do is tell you that a 60 day tourist visa is extendable, in country, to 90 days.

As I always say, ' Business is business ' :D The punters feel it is all true if one pays for the advice. If it costs nothing it must be worth that amount :o

30 day stay.

No visa in advance needed, they will stamp you in at the airport on arrival for 30 days.

60 day stay

Get a Tourist visa from the Thai embassy/consulate.

This can be extended, in Thailand, for another 30 days, at a cost of 1900 baht.

None of these visa's need money in the bank, in Thailand, or anywhere else.

That only comes in if you want to stay longer as retiree ( over 50) or if you marry a Thai girl.

30 day stay.

No visa in advance needed, they will stamp you in at the airport on arrival for 30 days.

60 day stay

Get a Tourist visa from the Thai embassy/consulate.

This can be extended, in Thailand,  for another 30 days, at a cost of 1900 baht.

None of these visa's need money in the bank, in Thailand, or anywhere else.

That only comes in if you want to stay longer as retiree ( over 50) or if you marry a Thai girl.

Thanks,

That clears up the 90 day thing..Now i need to know, in case I want to stay longer or end up pursuing retirement, how much I can border hop on a tourist visa?

Aloha

Not sure what you meant by two entries, and how this enables me to stay in thailand for 6 months..I'd appreciate your clarifying this for me..Forgive my ignorance..I don't get out much!

Sheesh dr., you're going to put these for-fee online services out of business... :o

Not sure what you meant by two entries, and how this enables me to stay in thailand for 6 months..I'd appreciate your clarifying this for me..Forgive my ignorance..I don't get out much!

I haven't gone there yet!

What i mean is crossing the border and coming back..

Well, all you have to do is buy the visa of Cambo or Laos et al, each time you want to leave LoS IF you have a type O multiple entry Thai visa or similar.

He might have to have a little bit of a think in advance as to whether he is planning a long stay or a short(ish) stay. Sharing his age with us and whether retirement in Thailand is even remotely in his mind