Anyone Know? Why People Beep Going Over Patong Hill?

podge

I always wonder why everyone beeps when at the top of the big hill going into patong from Phuket town ? I beep too just to join in :o

Is there a reason or do people just do it for good luck or something?

My first month in Thailand: In Isaan there's a small Khmer temple ruin that I was at alone, touring one afternoon. Everyone driving by honked, and I waved dutifully, thinking "Wow, these Thais are so friendly!" Slightly despondent when I found out I wasn't the center of attention. Here, everyone honks when they go by an ancient temple ruin or special shrine.

yep..

not restricted to Patong by any means.. Any hill, mountain/khao, doi (high place) in Thailand has a 'guardian spirit' and the Thai's beep to it/him/her for good luck and safe passage.. simple as that

I always wonder why everyone beeps when at the top of the big hill going into patong from Phuket town ? I beep too just to join in :o

Is there a reason or do people just do it for good luck or something?

I have been over that hill many times.

To toot your horn is to let the spirits/gods know you are going past so you will get your share of good luck.

If you don't wake them up to your passing you might miss out.

Or you have arrived at the top and need good luck to get down the other side.

aussiep

In addition to the beep for good luck (usually 3 short beeps), a beep of the horn can also be an acceptable substitute for a wai when passing a temple or shrine when it would be otherwise too dangerous to take both hands off the steering wheel!