House Extension

lowprofile

Any (proper) builders out there?

I recently had some extensions to my house.

A small overhang roof from the upstairs balcony for the patio - this leaks from the uppermost part where it meets the balcony. The builder did add a concrete bar over the top of the roof tiles, abutted to the balcony, but water still seems to get in. Any suggestions?

A longer extension, which is similar to the first, all along one side of the house. This one seems fine, the upper part of the extension sits under a slight overhang at the base of the top floor.

The car port was extended with a flat concrete roof extending from another balcony. This one leaks, too. The builder came back around and re-sealed the tiles on the balcony which seems to have stopped the leaks but I think this is a sticking plaster type of a fix. Would I be right in thinking that the tiles need removing and the concrete re-sealing?

Any (sensible) advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

LP

:o

Hi Lowprofile,

Construction joints are always problematic but with the right materials lasting solutions can be found. If you have time to research the issues here is an informative website; http://www.concrete.net.au/index.php

I would also suggest use of readily available Sika products. Sika 109 is a waterproof addative for mixed concrete and Sika Swellstop is a seal which expands in water.

Finding builders who know how to use these products is going to be difficult, but if you can specify methods and use you will be halfway there.

Good Luck,

Dan