Wireless Internet In Chiang Rai.

chang35baht

Hi guys.

Have any of you had any experience of the wireless internet availalable from the phone companies here? Cost, conxn/download speeds, stability etc.

I enquired a while back at the CAT office but it had only recently been introduced so was a bit wary of it whilst it was in it`s infancy up here.

I cancelled my Adsl a few months back because I kept having problems with it. I miss it now though. But would rather go down the wireless route if it is a good alternative to Adsl.

All opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Chang35baht. :o

Halo,

Already over a year very happy with CDMA from CAT. Good and friendly service even personally from the project manager David. Live officially to far away to receive them. But provided me with extra antenna I put on a 12 m high pole and they boosted their transmitter on the Rim Kok Hotel a little to help me. For a monthly fee of under baht 700 not bad. Before a went through hel_l with IPStar. Almost baht 3,000 a month in those days and good for nothing.

Cheers

Edited by Shrednyneas

Halo,

Already over a year very happy with CDMA from CAT. Good and friendly service even personally from the project manager David. Live officially to far away to receive them. But provided me with extra antenna I put on a 12 m high pole and they boosted their transmitter on the Rim Kok Hotel a little to help me. For a monthly fee of under baht 700 not bad. Before a went through hel_l with IPStar. Almost baht 3,000 a month in those days and good for nothing.

Cheers

Hi Shrednyneas, thanks for your reply. Can you give me a bit more info. please. 1)how much did you pay for your wireless card. 2) do you have to sign up for a yearly contract( I`m only here 3 months then gone 4 months/cycle). 3) what speed UL/DL do you have.

The under 700Bt per month is not expensive.

Thanks again,

Chang35baht.

P.S. I stay in Bahn Namlat and can see the Rimkok hotel from my house, so receiving a signal should be ok.

there's interesting speculation that cell phones and wireless have much to do with the death of many bees -

presently, there is no bee pollen for sale...

(or, at least, it's very hard to find, as bees, frogs and salamanders are increasingly becoming...)

Hi Chang35baht,

I paid about baht 14,000 for the computer card, bus they have now a USB connection for just over baht 10,000. For the a little bit less then baht 700 I have a real 115kbs connection. Sometimes even going faster. And yes I had to sign a one year contract.

Cheers

Edited by Shrednyneas

TT&T maxnet ADSL is pretty good at the moment. They've just upgraded most of us on the lowest package to 2mb for 630 amonth.

I'm approx 50K from town and getting 1.5mb. I Just plug a wireless access point (1000 baht approx) into the ADSL router provided free and I'm wireless.

coverage about 100 metres around the house. two or three computers can access the wireless internet at the same time. Appologies if you already new this.