Siam Ocean World

Dont Panic

How about this for a fun idea?

Organize through this very site a specific date and time (weekend) for 100 farangs to show up, with the EXACT CHANGE, for the Thai price?

Have each one stand on line, each one have the fare refused, and each one walk away in disgust?

How about it?

Normally we are not in a position to protest the racism against us. As the owner is an Aussie corp and the venue is in an upscale mall, I think such an action would be perfectly fine, legal, safe to do, and make the point real well. Bring cameras and video cameras for youtube.

I suggest grouping first in a single line before approaching the ticket window en masse, so there is one going after the other, without any "real" customers ruining the purity of the effect.

OK, I do realize this is probably not going to happen. Maybe a thread organizing it would be stopped by the site. Its just we whine so much and we never actually DO anything about it. I would like to see that change, just a little.

Nice idea.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They seem to charge exactly the same for every race, prices are set by nationality and residence; where's the racism?

Obviously, Thai is not a race. Many Caucasian, Indian, Chinese, etc. are "Thai". And many ethnic "Thais" have never been to Thailand, don't speak Thai and never considered Thai residency or a Thai Passport.

Edited by sunrise07

They seem to charge exactly the same for every race, prices are set by nationality and residence; where's the racism?

Obviously, Thai is not a race. Many Caucasian, Indian, Chinese, etc. are "Thai". And many ethnic "Thais" have never been to Thailand, don't speak Thai and never considered Thai residency or a Thai Passport.

So using Lil Ms Sunshine's logic, what would a Thai living in America be charged to visit Siam Ocean World? 50% of the farang rate or 100% of the Thai rate if he or she spoke Thai.

No need to ask them why the prices are the same, just hand over the smaller amount and, if they ask for more, just read the Thai sign out to them, pointing at the letters and numbers as you do it.

Would be different if it said "Thai adults: 560 Baht". But it doesn't, it just says "Adults: 560 Baht", but in Thai script. You're within your rights to pay at the advertised rate.

Yeah, I do that. It doesn't work. I only ask about the prices once I've been refused.

ํํํ่่You can argue this way till the cows come home.

This is how this REALLY works:

Person approaches ticket desk. They look Thai. They pay the Thai price. Person approaches ticket desk. They don't look Thai. They pay the non-Thai price. The vast majority of Thais in Thailand look Thai or Thai Chinese. An American Thai who walked up to the desk would also be perfectly fine paying the Thai price. The snap judgments are mostly made based on a visual appraisal of a person's RACE.

Yes, you are correct, there are lots of EXCEPTIONS, such as the Thai Indian who approaches and speaks in Thai who would then be assumed to be Thai, but I am talking in generalities. Are you a farang? Why do you excuse and try to side with idiotic, discriminatory practices?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm sorry but to be Thai is to be ethnically Thai. How many Indians are considered, by Thais to be Thai……..not many I suspect!

If a white farrang was born here and adopted by an ethnically Thai family, lived all their life to adulthood here and spoke only Thai……would they be considered Thai by the general population? No, they would be a farrang.

Thai/Chinese are not Thai either, they are Thai/Chinese….

However as long as you look kind of Thai (Burmese, Cambodian, Malay…….) you’ll most likely get the local price. Just keep your mouth shut when your paying and don’t say thankyou….you’ll fit right in :o

Edited by Dont Panic

Some people just want to stick by their beliefs come what may.

The double pricing was in place BEFORE the Thai took over. I was first there just after it opened and that was the deal then. And secondly as I have said previously (on this thread) they are happy to accept evidence that you are resident or working here and give you the "local" rate.

What exact month and year where you there and how much did you pay?

Funny you say that. Go to the story here and you'll see that it says that when it opened in December of 2005 the price was 450 baht "for both local and foreign visitors." So, you're wrong. From 450 baht to 850 baht in less than 3 years? They just can't rationalize the price hike. It's more expensive now for Thais, too. Ok, fine, but just make the price the same for both Thais and foreigners, regardless of whether you're a tourist or not.

Edited by Jimjim

I went to the Grand Palace the other day, with my Thai wife, two children, sister and brother in law. We went to pay our respect's to the King's sister so we were all dressed in black. After paying our respect's, we decided to enter the palace. There is a sign at the entrance to separate Thai's and Foreigners. Entry for Thai's is free, entry for Foreigners is 300 bht.

I tried showing Thai driving licence and my wife explained to the guard that we were married and that I live in Thailand and our business pays tax but it made no difference, no 300 bht, no entry for farang. So if you went to the Grand palace the other day and saw someone dressed in black ( Was it Roy Orbison who was billed as 'The Man in Black'?) sitting alone, in the shade at the entrance, that was me!!

So if you went to the Grand palace the other day and saw someone dressed in black ( Was it Roy Orbison who was billed as 'The Man in Black'?) sitting alone, in the shade at the entrance, that was me!!

Wow. How did that make you FEEL?

Personally, I wouldn't go to a place that charged Thais and those of us with Thai ID the same price as foreign tourist with an extremely large carbon footprint on their karma.

Am I to understand you are a Thai with a Thai ID or a farang with a Thai ID? Why stop there, why not those of us that are on WP's or PR?

As far as extremely large carbon footprints, do you just mean Siam Ocean World or all shopping malls in general?

this is common to many countries in Asia, i have always found that if you show your Thai driving license you will get a Thai price anyway.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old topic.

Went to Siam Ocean World yesterday. We were going to be charged 850baht per adult for just the aquarium visit. (Think it would be 990 baht to also include glass bottom boat and some 4D show).

Anyhow, husband asked (in Thai) if that was the price for tourists. The cashier asked if we were resident in Thailand and on positive answer, immediately charged us a lower rate of 350 baht per person. No problems.

So, of those who have emailed the operators on this issue, has anyone received a response? If yes, what did they say?

I emailed them a couple of days ago when I first read this thread - a nice email from a potential visitor mind you - but haven't heard anything back.

I e-mailed back in July when I noticed that Siam Ocean World had moved from a single price (the earlier poster who said this was never the position is wrong) to double pricing but never got a reply. Accordingly I crossed it off my list of places to visit on my last trip to Bangkok with kid.

Interesting in the new post above that negotiation seems to work even here.

Edited by citizen33

• 2 weeks later...
The Ocean World pricing website is rather funny.

The thai script section :

ผู้ใหญ่ (puu yai = adult) ๔๕๐ บาท (450 baht)

The english language section :

BIG BONUS PACKAGE

Adult 850 Baht

Website does not mention anything about thai vs foreigner...so I pissed mysef about he BIG BONUS thing.I wonder who the genius promoter who came up with this beauty is...hahahaha.

Someone should email them and heckle their stupidity.

The Thai price got lower and it's about 350 bahts today as the English price is still the same. At first they wanted to charge me at 850 Bahts but when I asked in thai to the cashier why I had to pay 850 Bhats, so as I was speaking thai, she asked me if I was living in Thailand and asked if I had an ID. As I'm living in Thailand and as I have a consular ID, I've finally got the Thai fee. By the way, I didn't like that we have to pay again to have de small boat trip, I think it's a ripoff especially for thos who had paid 850 bahts...

• 4 weeks later...

Wierd.. when I click on Visitor Information/Prices I get a 404 error...hmm

Maybe they've seen the light and are adjusting their prices more fairly!

But it's probably just the usual dodgy Thai web authering.

Just had a bit more of a look around their page and half the links don't work, so yeah, as above.

Edited by tinglish

I went and asked. Spoke to one of their sales reps and I was told it was a revenue generator and it was aimed at tourist. Show any form of ID that says you live in Thailand and you get Thai pricing.

Basically she said they needed to make more money. They feel that they have plateaued in terms of attendance and cannot generate more "quantity", cant raise prices overall as its already expensive for Thais. So "Tourist Pricing"

Smart tourists wont waste so much money so it's a short sighted policy. It just makes them seem greedy. I wont be taking my son again next time I visit Thailand, actually I thought it was quite expensive last time at 450 Bt, but the new prices are just ridiculous.

Just found a relevant webpage http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2008/0...s-prices?blog=5

Edited by tinglish

I went and asked. Spoke to one of their sales reps and I was told it was a revenue generator and it was aimed at tourist. Show any form of ID that says you live in Thailand and you get Thai pricing.

Basically she said they needed to make more money. They feel that they have plateaued in terms of attendance and cannot generate more "quantity", cant raise prices overall as its already expensive for Thais. So "Tourist Pricing"

Typical Thai business model. Launch the 'next greatest best' thing to hit the country and expect that it would be sustainable over the long term by relying on gullable farang's to overpay for what is, by world standards, a pretty average attraction.

While it may be exciting for Thais to go look at, compared with other similar attractions around the region and world, it is very over-rated.

Let's see, list of things to do when visiting Bangkok.

Number 10) Trudge around a shopping mall and visit an aquarium. Not.

The corporation has a differential pricing policy only in Thailand because Thai law allows it

I have confirmed the legalities of over-charging foreigners. It is illegal. Foreigners, in getting a fair equal deal, are protected by the constitution. Unbelievable!

I have emailed the mother company in Australia Oceanis twice - no reply. I mailed Perth local newspaper - not printed. All 3 times, i mentioned that Oceanis is, theoretically, breaking the Thai law. Would never dare try such a thing in their own country. Perhaps someone should inform the national parks division too!

The only time that i have read of when Siam Ocean World actually replied to a complaint was when an angry customer sent a mail to the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Perhaps, some folk could try that.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Copied from one of our websites (as linked above), here is what Mr Olsen from SOW replied to a complaint (whiich was sent via the TAT). Olsen's direct email is shown.

Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 5:51 PM

To: @netvigator.com

Cc: [email protected]; Jittanan Chaiprasart

Subject: FW: : racist policy at Ocean World

Dear Mr Noacceptdaripoff,

I have been forwarded your email by TAT and would like to reply on behalf of Siam Ocean World (SOW).

You are correct in your assertion that SOW operates a dual pricing, however we offer a Thai resident rate and many expatriates living in Thailand also avail themselves of the reduced rate. All other attractions, both government and privately operated, use this system and often the rates differ tenfold or in some instances Thais are free and foreigners charged.

It is also my experience that offering 'locals' rates is prevalent around the world in tourist attractions and indeed hotels although I readily acknowledge that generally the variance is not as great as in Thailand.

I am distressed at the 'racist' tag as this cannot be further from the truth in how our company operates. In fact our family passes use an age based assessment on children to make it more affordable for foreign families. Our regular pricing uses height based assessment of under 120cm for children which is appropriate for Thais but which penalised foreigners whose children tend to be taller.

We are proud of the feedback we get from tourists who visit our aquarium and hope that your family enjoyed your visit.

Yours sincerely,

Geoff Olson

General Manager

Siam Ocean World

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Give the double pricers the big flick.

much ado about nothing. i have been twice with my daughter in the last 2 months. thai rates. no argument.

show any card indicating you are settled here, even a thai health insurance card.

Personally I find it very hard to get worked up about double pricing, especially for national parks which are funded by the Thai government predominantly through taxes paid by Thais. I do realise Siam Ocean World is not state owned of course.

Yeah sure. I guess the Thai goverment dug out the river, planted the trees and pumps up the water to the waterfalls. Truth is, not a single tax satang is spent on most (if not all) national parks and are funded by visitors fees and foreign NGOs. Most likely they actually generate money for the goverment How much do you think it costs to keep a few guards milling around and a few garbage collectors to retrieve the rubbish the locals throw away? More American money (through Wild Aid and WWF) are spent at national parks than Thai money. Maybe Americans should get off the cheapest and let Europeans like myself pay more?

In Koh Chang I paid 200B to look at a three meter high trickeling little waterfall. What a joke. Thai nationals paid 10B, so I pay as much as a group of 20 Thais. In Khao Jai I came walking with my backpack to the entrance and paid multiples of a Thai tycoon coming driving with his family in his expensive SUV.

I am all for fairness, and differentiating on nationality has nothing to do with fairness. By this logic an Ethiopean should pay multiples of a Thai. If something is a commercial activity, private or govermental, everybody should pay the same.

WB

Edited by Wonderboy

Personally, I wouldn't go to a place that charged Thais and those of us with Thai ID the same price as foreign tourist with an extremely large carbon footprint on their karma.

So you walked to Los then?

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

If it's about money then would they charge double to a rich Thai idustrialist?

No they wouldn't because he is Thai.

Racist policy...end of discussion.

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to take my son there. No way now.

<deleted> racist clumts

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

<deleted> racist clumts

Being an OPPORTUNIST is not the same as being a "racist" or haven't you learned that in your lifetime?

Thai people didn't charged you more because they "HATE" you, they charged you more because of economic reason. It may not be right but it's being practice all over the world not just in Thailand.

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Resident fee: NONE

Non-Resident: $3.00/person

Family: $10.00

Common sense people common sense.

Edited by Misplaced

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

<deleted> racist clumts

Being an OPPORTUNIST is not the same as being a "racist" or haven't you learned that in your lifetime?

Thai people didn't charged you more because they "HATE" you, they charged you more because of economic reason. It may not be right but it's being practice all over the world not just in Thailand.

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Legacy Art Park

A suggested donation of $3 per person or $10 per family.

The Michigan Legacy Art Park is a nonprofit 501© 3 organization.

This organization has absolutely no paralels whatsoever the topic.

People live in this Art Park...they are the residents....residents don't have to pay to go where they live!!

Common sense?

I think you could use a healthy dose.

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

<deleted> racist clumts

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Legacy Art Park

People live in this Art Park...they are the residents....residents don't have to pay to go where they live!!

Common sense?

proves my point.. Now quit whining. Thai people are the resident in this case. GET IT? Again, it's common sense

At least you finally understand the different between a "RACIST & OPPORTUNIST" :o

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

<deleted> racist clumts

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Legacy Art Park

Common sense?

proves my point.. Now quit whining. Thai people are the resident in this case. GET IT? Again, it's common sense

At least you finally understand the different between a "RACIST & OPPORTUNIST" :o

I am a resident of MY country too...and we don't charge people more based on the colour of their skin, where they come from, their sex and their religion.

....GET IT?

If it is an economical issue as you put it, and I'm assuming you men foreigners are richer than the local population... right?

Well how come they don't charge rich Thai's the same price as they charge foreigners?

Opportunistic my ass...that's just a racist's excuse to exploit others.

- Misplaced logic

As an opportunist I'd like to ask all the residents of Siam Ocean World to please stand up...oh sorry they're all fish!

:o

...GET IT?

Edited by tinglish

I bet 99.99% of all the wingers and moaners can't read thai script, and if they could read thai script they would not ever see the word ฝรั่ง written on a double pricing sign.

It constantly amazes me how TOURISTS to thailand (if you are not sure if you are a tourist check the stamp in your passport), expect the same rights as non-tourists.

When i go to disneyworld in orlando i dont complain that i dont get the Floridian resident price.