Car With Driver/guide

raybona

Hi there, we should arrive in CM end October, so we have to stay in a guesthouse until we find a house and car.

Do you think it is possible and wise to rent a car with driver/guide who speaks English, and of course read and speak Thai?

Could we trust him to drive around the suburbs of CM (because we don't want to live in the city) ex. Sarapee or somewhere else, and find a fully furnished, compounded house as quick as possible.

We've been looking at different websites and found a lot of houses in the 10-15K range, which would suit us, contacted them for a certain house, but never a reply ? (including Habitat & Chiangmaihouse.com)

Then we looked at the TV classified adds, but the same keeps on coming up, so are they up to date?

This goes for second hand cars as well.

How much would be appropriate to pay for car+driver per day, and where to find him ?

Also, we come with a 5 kilo, 9 year old Shih-Tzu, is it a problem to rent a house having a pet ?

Thanks a lot,

Ray

Do you think it is possible and wise to rent a car with driver/guide who speaks English, and of course read and speak Thai?

Yes. You could try negotiating a day rate with a songthaew or taxi. Your hotel/guest house manager or receptionist could very likely help you find someone and explain what you need. Driving about, you will see signs on trees and buildings with phone numbers of places to rent, sometimes in both Thai and English (owners happy to get a foreign tenant as they sometimes accept inflated prices).

Could we trust him to drive around the suburbs of CM (because we don't want to live in the city) ex. Sarapee or somewhere else, and find a fully furnished, compounded house as quick as possible

Yes. He/she might show you a few of their friends' houses first but just press on patiently. He/she may receive some "cut" on the deal for acting as go-between and persuading you the rental amount asked is fair. This part is tricky without Thai family or close friends.

We've been looking at different websites and found a lot of houses in the 10-15K range, which would suit us, contacted them for a certain house, but never a reply ? (including Habitat & Chiangmaihouse.com)

Thai companies are not always very good about responding to emails, esp. in English. I think the real estate agencies are mainly interested in selling. Look at the websites to get an idea of what is available but understand their rents are generally much higher than they need be.

Then we looked at the TV classified adds, but the same keeps on coming up, so are they up to date?

Don't know.

How much would be appropriate to pay for car+driver per day, and where to find him ?

Not sure about costs. Someone at your hotel will probably know someone. Keep asking around. People in the business/tourist areas often have enough English to understand you. Ask in the Thai language forum of ThaiVisa for a translation of a few lines stating your needs and giving a phone number. Print out and distribute. Possibly someone on this forum will know someone.

Also, we come with a 5 kilo, 9 year old Shih-Tzu, is it a problem to rent a house having a pet

Usually not. (Condos are another story).

Hi there, we should arrive in CM end October, so we have to stay in a guesthouse until we find a house and car.

Could we trust him to drive around the suburbs of CM (because we don't want to live in the city) ex. Sarapee or somewhere else, and find a fully furnished, compounded house as quick as possible.

Also, we come with a 5 kilo, 9 year old Shih-Tzu, is it a problem to rent a house having a pet ?

Thanks a lot,

Ray

Sawadee Kup Ray, Welcome to CM, there is another

site you might try-- chiangmainews.com -- their classifieds may contain an answer to a lot of your questions about rentals and transport. After TV classifieds these can help you narrow your efforts.

You are right about staying in a guest house or hotel

for 1 or 2 weeks until you can get a feel for things.

Most of the locals are honest but like everywhere else there are some scammers. If you want you can PM me for more info. PJ.

Thanks a lot,

Ray

Ray, I have reply to you before, I have got a bungalow house, fully furnished,3bedrooms/3bathrooms/master bedroom with balcony,nice garden,auto gate,internet available,good security,15 mins to airport or night bazzar or city can temporary assist you in transport because I have 2 cars 1 Bmw and a toyota cruiser and I live next door so any problem I am always readily to help and can fetch you from the airport upon arrival and having pet is not a problem.Moreover, it will be a suitable house to stay since your wife is a writer with much privacy. Price at 27000 Baht- 1 month deposit/1 month down payment. Let me know your arrival date and can pick you up for view, and if its not suitable can also send you to a hotel free transport. Many thanks. Please PM me if interested. Tonni Lee. Tel: +668 7808 5988 (oversea call) 08 7808 5988 (local) you rely on me,no problem and rest assure you of your safety when you are with me.(Asian chinese)and a buddhist follower. Om.

Hi Tonni Lee, Thanks a lot for the offer, but 27.000 Baht, is that per month?

I'm sorry to say that is way over our budget,as you can see in the opening post we are looking for a house in the price range of max

15.000 Baht/month.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding from our side (27.000/month), if so please confirm, and also, are there pics. available (both in an outside) ?

Thanks for your kindness

Ray

Ray

For an excellent English speaking driver, knowledgable and friendly, with a new car with A/C that works, try "Sonny." He used to manage Hobo Books (don't buy book there.. Get them at Geckko Books.) right next to Daret's Restaurant and Guest House (staying there is cheap and clean, and the restaurant tasty and priced right,) and now is a licensed tour guide. You can contact him through the tour desk at Daret's. He is a very nice fellow, knows that area very well, his English is almost fluent, and his sense of humor a delight. Very pleasant to spend the day with him, and he often helped me to find various hard-to-locate items around Chiang Mai.