Belts Needed At Navy Course

ruds

I visited the Navy course near Pattaya this week with 3 friends and we were not allowed to play because one of the guys did not have a belt on. His shorts did not even have loops for a belt but neverless he was told he could not play.

We were also told to tuck our shirts in on arrival, this was when the beltless shorts were discovered.

When I got home I called the course to speak to the manager who was not there, so I spoke to the Golf Pro. He informed me that this has always been a rule and that they are inforcing it. When I told him that I was a ex PGA golf pro and that I had never heard such a rule he told me that it was a local rule and then proceeded to say "if you dont like it, you can go and play somewhere else, we dont care" (his exact words)

I really do hope that they do not continue to enforce this rule

BUT FOR NOW BE WARNED

Ruds

I visited the Navy course near Pattaya this week with 3 friends and we were not allowed to play because one of the guys did not have a belt on. His shorts did not even have loops for a belt but neverless he was told he could not play.

We were also told to tuck our shirts in on arrival, this was when the beltless shorts were discovered.

When I got home I called the course to speak to the manager who was not there, so I spoke to the Golf Pro. He informed me that this has always been a rule and that they are inforcing it. When I told him that I was a ex PGA golf pro and that I had never heard such a rule he told me that it was a local rule and then proceeded to say "if you dont like it, you can go and play somewhere else, we dont care" (his exact words)

I really do hope that they do not continue to enforce this rule

BUT FOR NOW BE WARNED

Ruds

There are still a few courses who can afford the luxury of maintaining a dress code, commercial considerations preclude this more and more nowadays. Maybe the next generation of golfers will be a bit more forgiving, if you can wait that long.

Some how I suspect there is another, untold, side to this storey. Agree, tucked in shirts and belts are pretty much the norm everywhere I have played. Luckily at most SEA clubs they allow you to wear appropriate length shorts and don't enforce the long pants rule only you get at some US courses.

In Malaysia once I had a marshal come around about half way round and ask me to re-tuck my shirt in as it had pulled out [due to my huge swing]. :o

TH

I've never heard of a long pants rule in the US or anywhere else. Maybe at some very exclusive, private courses. I realize the Pro's have to wear long pants, but that's just the men.

Maybe there is more to the story. I love golf, but the rules and dress codes are pompous and stodgy. I think this was a SEA type ball breaking exercise. I think I pulled a muscle laughing at the Malaysia story.

Edited by Shotime

If it is the one near Pattaya, it would be Plutaluang, a 36 hole development.

I've played there many times and never been hit with this. Thanks for the warning.

Same here. I always wear shorts when I am playing a course in Thailand. Long pants aren't even required in any clubhouse in Thailand that I have been in, and it is more than just a few.

Now, if my dress would help my game....

I'm not an "ex PGA golf pro" and I bet you aren't either......Tucked in shirts, slacks and belts are the appropriate dress for any golf pro I've ever seen.

Well if you are so sure that im not a ex PGA pro then do you fancy challenging me to a game, you name the stakes, I live in Pattaya so I course close to here would suit me fine

To add more------>>>>>>>>my friend went there a few months back with a group. He wears the Bite golf sandals and he was required to put on socks with the sandals or not play----------he went to the Pro Shop and bought socks.

I'm not an "ex PGA golf pro" and I bet you aren't either......Tucked in shirts, slacks and belts are the appropriate dress for any golf pro I've ever seen.

Well if you are so sure that im not a ex PGA pro then do you fancy challenging me to a game, you name the stakes, I live in Pattaya so I course close to here would suit me fine

I hope this doesn't dissolve into a "who's belt is longer" argument.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This very same thing happened to me at the Navy Course

in Bangkok - the one very near Sukhumvit Soi 105.

I had paid the green fees, caddy fees, and was walking to

the first tee when some eagle-eyed wee fat git spotted my

huge error. He was not going to let me play, but my caddy

nipped over to her 'larger' pal in the caddy-hut and got me

a loan of a belt for 20 Baht! You've got to love them!

p.s. My wife walked round with me once there and had to

pay for the pleasure of doing so - even though she

didn't play. I can't remember if she wore a belt or not!!

For being an "EX-Pro" you probably golfed all over the world. Now I am not a Pro but I have golfed at a few courses. What I learned is that each course have their own standards. In their own way they seem to be trying to keep some kind of standard. Where I play I usually wear shorts or even jeans and had no problem but I have noticed that the Thai golfers, at this course, allways seem to wear casual pants.

Call first.

• 2 months later...
I've never heard of a long pants rule in the US or anywhere else. Maybe at some very exclusive, private courses. I realize the Pro's have to wear long pants, but that's just the men.

Maybe there is more to the story. I love golf, but the rules and dress codes are pompous and stodgy. I think this was a SEA type ball breaking exercise. I think I pulled a muscle laughing at the Malaysia story.

I don't know where you're from in the USA, Shotime; but I can tell you that the majority of the better courses in So Cal, when I lived and played there from '86 to '96, definitely required long pants, and prohibit jeans. Same was true in the Chicago area, when I lived there in the early-80's. Most of the cheaper "local" courses don't do so. Similar to that card displayed for the Navy course, collared shirts, as well as socks, and golf shoes (no sneakers, etc.) are also required at most. I do not, however, think I ever encountered a "belt" rule. I always wore one, so it wouldn't have been an issue for me.

Some how I suspect there is another, untold, side to this storey. Agree, tucked in shirts and belts are pretty much the norm everywhere I have played. Luckily at most SEA clubs they allow you to wear appropriate length shorts and don't enforce the long pants rule only you get at some US courses.

In Malaysia once I had a marshal come around about half way round and ask me to re-tuck my shirt in as it had pulled out [due to my huge swing]. :o

TH

In Malasia I was not allowed to wear a normal shirt, it had to be a tennis shirt, I mean to say can you imagine what a tie looks like with a tennis shirt?

• 4 weeks later...

In all fairness I think the belt rule has to do with courses affiliated with Thai Armed Forces and not something about Thai courses in general. I've played at Kantarat (the one inside of Don Muang airport) and was stopped by the starter for not wearing a belt. When I asked why the reply was something to do with miliatary dress code.....I ended up "renting" a belt from the starter - needless to say I looked absolutely ridiculous since my shorts had no belt loops and they forced me to tuck my shirt in.

I don't know where you're from in the USA, Shotime; but I can tell you that the majority of the better courses in So Cal, when I lived and played there from '86 to '96, definitely required long pants, and prohibit jeans. Same was true in the Chicago area, when I lived there in the early-80's. Most of the cheaper "local" courses don't do so. Similar to that card displayed for the Navy course, collared shirts, as well as socks, and golf shoes (no sneakers, etc.) are also required at most. I do not, however, think I ever encountered a "belt" rule. I always wore one, so it wouldn't have been an issue for me.

I had couple of private memberships in So Cal for the last twenty years and the clubs, private clubs, I was member of all allowed shorts. I don't know what clubs you played in but in So Cal it gets pretty hot in the summer.