180 Seconds For Health Check...start To Finish

One little incident yesterday reminded my why I still love Thailand.

It’s work permit renewal time again and as usual the mandatory health check certificate needed to be obtained.

For years I have been having my health checks undertake in the nearest private hospital. The whole thing usually takes about 1.5 hours as one is ushered from here to there and back again, culminating in the final step of seeing a doctor.

All being well they stamp and sign your certificate and you pay them THB600.

Well yesterday my wife suggested we obtain this years heath certificate from the clinic just outside our village.

I was a little skeptical that they had the authority to issue such a certificates, (tut tut, yea of little faith) but in we went anyway.

This is what happened:

1. Nurse sits me down and takes my blood pressure (90 seconds)

2. Nurse ushers me into the doctors room

3. Doctor dabs her stethoscope 3 times on my chest (my shirt still on), then she says “do you have disease?”,

I thought I did not hear her correctly so I asked her to “say again please”. “Do you have disease?” she repeats.

“Eer No” say I

“Driving license or work permit”? she asks

“Work Permit” say I

“Please wait in reception” she says (while signing the certificate) (30 seconds)

4. Nurse completes and stamp the certificate. (60 seconds)

The whole thing took 3 minutes from the moment we walked in to the moment we left and all for the princely sum of THB100

Don’t you just love it when these little gems resurface from time to time and remind us why we happily choose to live here in Thailand.

It’s work permit renewal time again and as usual the mandatory health check certificate needed to be obtained.

What is this about?

Apart from the very first WP application a health certificate was never reqiured for renewals over the past ten years. Even then it was a matter of 20 Baht at a local clinic.

opalhort

I went to a similar type clinic in Bangkok to get a health certificate for my driver's license. However my doctor had even more advanced telepathic abilities as merely looking me up and down once enabled him to scan me for TB, Cancer, Lupus and whatever else I needed to be cleared of. In spite of his profound skills he retained his humility and recognized he could not help everyone, as he offered amulets to ward off illnesses he could not see or prevent for about 100 Baht.

One little incident yesterday reminded my why I still love Thailand.

For years I have been having my health checks undertake in the nearest private hospital. The whole thing usually takes about 1.5 hours as one is ushered from here to there and back again, culminating in the final step of seeing a doctor.

All being well they stamp and sign your certificate and you pay them THB600.

Well yesterday my wife suggested we obtain this years heath certificate from the clinic just outside our village.

I was a little skeptical that they had the authority to issue such a certificates, (tut tut, yea of little faith) but in we went anyway.

This is what happened:

1. Nurse sits me down and takes my blood pressure (90 seconds)

2. Nurse ushers me into the doctors room

3. Doctor dabs her stethoscope 3 times on my chest (my shirt still on), then she says “do you have disease?”,

I thought I did not hear her correctly so I asked her to “say again please”. “Do you have disease?” she repeats.

“Eer No” say I

“Driving license or work permit”? she asks

“Work Permit” say I

“Please wait in reception” she says (while signing the certificate) (30 seconds)

4. Nurse completes and stamp the certificate. (60 seconds)

The whole thing took 3 minutes from the moment we walked in to the moment we left and all for the princely sum of THB100

Don’t you just love it when these little gems resurface from time to time and remind us why we happily choose to live here in Thailand.

Took about the same time for mine when I wanted cert for my 5-year licence. Must admit that it was not the first time that I had seen this guy....100Baht.

the rule, very common - you need a health certificate right - oyu don't come because of some bothering ailment, did you?

If it is the other way YOU have to make the heck sure - you go to the right doc!

this is one part of what I really love about LoS!

Pretty similar to my experience yesterday when I had to get one for my work contract renewal. Used the same private hospital and was in and out in about 5 minutes even with the crowds there. The nurse and doctor know me and why I'm there, been doing it for 15 years. Used to be 60 Baht, then 80 Baht and this year 100 Baht.

Pretty similar to my experience yesterday when I had to get one for my work contract renewal. Used the same private hospital and was in and out in about 5 minutes even with the crowds there. The nurse and doctor know me and why I'm there, been doing it for 15 years. Used to be 60 Baht, then 80 Baht and this year 100 Baht.

Used to be 30 Baht,if I remember correctly,but what with inflation!

Love Thailand too!(most of the time). :o

I'm jealous. I went to Patong hospital last month for health certificate for a drivers license. They charged me 300 Baht. I still spent the obligatory 2 or 3 minutes with the doctor but I had to wait 30 minutes to see one. Next time I'll try a clinic.

600 baht is way overpriced. I paid 200 baht and felt I'd been had as I'd been to a little clinic before where it was 50 baht.

50 Baht last month in a Hua Hin clinic. No doctor, only saw receptionist. No questions asked. :o

I got a free check up for my work permit at Samitijev Hospital in Bangkok. Same thing, blood pressure a dab with the stethoscope, no questions and a few minutes later a letter stating that I am free of Tuberculosis, Elephantitus and drug and alcohol addiction!!!!!! Marvelous what thhey can do these days.