Reviews Of Chefsxp Restaurants

girlx

I am about to order from Chef's XP again, but I really have only ever tried one or two places on their list. Can others tell me their favorites (restaurant and dish) so I can check them out?

well i have tried the ribs from both bourbon street and larry's dive, and larry's dive was better, because their sauce was not so sickly sweet. the side dishes at bourbon street were better though.

larry's dive also makes a good reuben sandwich- the only place i have seen one in thailand!

which place has the best pizza?

The other night I ordered the capriccosia from Bella Napoli I think - very good pizza but while it arrived before time, it had been tipped upside down and most of the topping was stuck to the top of the box. This was my second order from CHXP and the first one took over an hour to arrive (depite being a restaurant 5 mins moto ride away) - I did get a credit for that one which was good but still. Two deliveries, two <deleted> ups. Not good.

I order late also Usually get the plate of Nacho's From Sunrise, otherwise I order from Talalask.

For prety darn cheap they have great vegetarian dishes. Well actually there's only two my friends and I order when we have a get together.

The garlic and pepper pork (we are guessing it's tofu doesn't actually taste like it but it's definatly not pork/fish/chicken) and the Tempura mushrooms.

Between the three of us we get away with maybe 600 baht. Which is great.

The pies from the pickled liver are good too if you crave a meatpie.

I splurged and ordered from the Blue Elephant tonight. Got the 'Spaghetti Kee Maow' (cat shit spaghetti?), which was black spaghetti with seafood. It wasn't too bad. The guy was late for the first time though.

• 3 months later...
I is on a diet, ain't using them so much @ the moment. :o The Black Swan is very good quality food tho, a tip would be to avoid Mondays as from my experience it must be the head chefs day off. :D

I agree fantastic food from there i am never let down and treat myself to my favourite once a week the rump beef casserole.

Phat khee mao is not marinated, and can be made with any kind of meat. Called 'shit-drunk fried noodles', I'm told, because the flavour is so penetrating it should wake one out of a drunken stupor. :o

Of my two successful orders, one was from Sunrise Tacos (excellent) and the other Greek food from Souvlaki, also quite good.

Hi!

The saying in the West is, "your mileage may vary".....and it means that one person's experience with something (like Chef'sXP) may differ wildly from another's.

With that in mind....I'll just express my own personal experiences....although, "your mileage may vary". :-)

I lived in Bangkok for more than a year before ever ordering "delivery" food. Then, I went on about a 2 week binge.....insane, actually in terms of sheer quantity of food I ate. I'd post a real copy of an order here....but I guarantee you'd only accuse me of faking the order.

I used both ChefsXP and FoodByPhone.....sometimes both of them within an hour of each other for separate orders. True story. :-)

I never had a single problem with either of them....and this was for at least 15 orders between them. (Note: I also ordered from "1121" for Swensen's ice cream cakes and ice cream containers....and had only wonderful experiences with them, too. Their delivery service and the quality of their ice cream was top notch!). Both ChefsXP and FoodByPhone.....I used internet ordering for both......got every single order right, they properly executed every special request I made (there is a box under each item you order from either service....and you can make special requests there....like, "no potatoes", "not too much oil and butter", etc.), and they delivered every order well within the time limit that was given. Heck, even the ice creams were brought still frozen (perfect!)....achieved by using the special containers and dry ice that they utilize. And the hot items always were still hot when they arrived.

I'm not "pimping" anyone's food or service. I'm just telling you that both delivery services (and a third one......"1121") got it all right, every time for me.....for at least 15 orders in a row.

Ahhhhhhhh......one note. I only ordered from the Indian food places offered by both delivery services, and one order that included food from Beirut restaurant. So perhaps I should qualify my statements here by being clear that what I've said really only applies to the Indian food places, Swensen's delivery (1121), and the "mini mart" items offered by ChefsXP (which included Dunkin' Donuts!!!!! YUM!!).

I'm not in any way doubting the credibility of some of the statements others have made that suggest problems with the delivery services. It just seems that....."their mileage varied".....from mine....lol!!!

CHEERS!

D

hrmm sounds like a cry for help from someone with binge eating disorder to me! :o but thanks for the input.

Whew! I thought it was going to sound like a cry for more Dunkin' Donuts. Turns out a cry for help is cheaper and less fattening!!

All kidding aside, thank you for your post. I reread what I wrote and you were spot on to nail me with your analysis. I just hope that I don't deter others from contributing to this thread....because the idea of the thread (reviewing only the restaurants that deliver) is a good one!

Bring on the reviews!

CHEERS!

D

The wife and I ordered fajitas for two from Sunrise on Sat evening, delivery was on time but the food was ordinary to say the least. The packaging was good with the sour cream, salsa and black bean sludge in separate containers, the fajita filling was huge chunks of chicken with equally large slices of green, red and yellow peppers. Not a very satisfying meal but probably not a good choice for home delivery. Will put a little more thought in the next time we are too lazy to prepare our own food.

In terms of ChefsXP orders...

--Sunrise Tacos has always been good, and I'm very partial to their meal-size Mexican salads.

--Marina HK is good for Chinese dim sum and especially variety of Isaan/Thai meat salads.

--Indian Tandoor is good for dals and vegetarian dishes. Hot Curry was very good also, but they've been listed but unable to order via CXP for a long time, not sure why...

--Boon Tong Kiat is good for their roasted duck.

--A Bourbon Street regular hamburger I ordered was OK, not great, but OK.

--A couple of pizzas from Bella Napoli were OK... decent pizza, but certainly needed reheating by the time they arrived.

--A falafel/hummus sandwich from Sandwiches of the World was bad.... very bad... Food/taste not so good, and sandwich arrived broken up...

--A couple of dishes from Bistro Eurogourmet likewise were bad... Exploits recounted in the BEG thread here on TV.... Don't ask....

In terms of ChefsXP orders...

--Sunrise Tacos has always been good, and I'm very partial to their meal-size Mexican salads.

Never bothered with the salads personally, but the rest of the menu is like rolling a dice. Sometimes very good, other times a complete disgrace..

Try the Mexican Sunrise salad... It's like the traditional tostada salad (except minus the fried corn tostada shell).

So it's your choice of meat or grilled veggies on top of a very generous bed of rice and the beans of your choice (frijoles, black beans, etc.), topped with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and other things as you choose...shredded cheese, sour cream, guac, etc...

It's quite a meal all by itself, especially via delivery, where the portion seems to be somewhat larger than the in-house version.

And, depending on how you order it prepared, it can be a pretty health menu choice as well... :o

Can others tell me their favorites (restaurant and dish) so I can check them out?

I take two days a week off from cooking, so recently started ordering from ChefsExpress.

MRS. BALBIR'S - A fantastic meal. The Mahkhani dal was beautiful and creamy. The onion bhajis were some of the best we've ever eaten. The prawn vindaloo was tasty. The vegetable samosas were not up to the rest of the meal (but could just be a matter of how they travel).

INDIAN HUT - Ordered similar meals (twice) as Mrs. Balbirs. It's very good, but not quite as tasty as Mrs. Balbirs (the onion bhajis and dal tipped the scales quite a bit).

BELLA NAPOLI - The first time we ordered the food was great, especially the Buffet Misto Casa (but we ordered the wrong pizza - our fault). The second time, the Buffet Misto Casa was a more filler type (cheap) selection over what arrived the first time, the pizza was ok. Could be a difference of chefs or days of the week. Not sure, so I'll order a third time to check it out.

BLACK SWAN - Ordered two meat pies for the man (he's hankering for British food) and they were both disappointing. I'd generally order a second time just to be sure, but this time I'll pass or order something different.

SUNRISE TACOS - Ordered three times from them so far. Each time, the food has been good (hard to ruin Mexican!). It's not as good (crunchy) as eating there, but that's to be expected. The first time was embarrasing as I was in a fun mood and ordered a Margarita. Embarrassing, as it arrived in a two feet tall (?) glass complete with tall straw. But, the delivery boy and my security guard thought it was funny, so I might reserve this order for BKK friends. At their condo (without me) :o

I would say that the ChefsExpress experience has been successful. I do enjoy going out for a nice meal, but I also enjoy relaxing at home to a decent meal without cooking it myself.

Note: I haven't tried Thai as I'm closely surrounded by excellent Thai restaurants, so no need.

• 5 weeks later...

So far I've ordered only from The Old German Beerhouse since I know the restaurant very well. Good food, probably the best German food in Bangkok. They have lots of good things but roasted chicken and roasted pork knuckle are the best.

IBO Turkish Restaurant- they normally run out of Doner Kebab by 4 pm but it's good if you can get it. The Kuzu(Lamb) Shish kebabs are also very good.

Planet Bollywood Indian food- Excellent mutton biryani and vegetarian samosas

• 4 months later...

Never ever felt satasfied with my food deliverys from chefs. Most of the time I order 2 dishes for around 7-1000 bhat and almost always throw half of it. The ones I remember I have tried is:

Tony Roma´s - Sleezy ribs, joke of a ceasar.

Subway - Was alright till they changed their cheese recently.

Bourbon Street - Burger was ok, nothin more.

Circle - Mushroom Soup was alright.

Souvlaki - Tried yesterday, kebabwrap, meat was a bit weird, will try with chicken next time.

Dulio´s - Pasta was okey.

Ma Be Ba - Complete disaster, pasta with bacon and mushrooms, did almost throw up.

Olive Kebab - Prett decent chicken wraps.

Sunrise Tacos - Ok, but not more.

Coyote - Quite bad mexican, but one or two eatable dishes. (Señor Pico, Rembrandt Hotel, for quality mexican food, not on chefs though)

Waiting for a pizza from Bella Napoli at the moment, read good reviews, so hope its alright.

• 8 months later...
I haven't tried too many restaurants from there myself. I usually end up ordering after 10.30 so I'm stuck with a Burrito from Sunrise Tacos. :)

Now you can get Indian food from Bawarchi as a late night express thing that ChefsXP is doing and also Arabic Food from Alif Laila.

Check out the site!

bourbon st - deep fried soft shelled crab is awesome, ribs good, lamb rack dry and old

greek place (cant recall name) - pork giros ok, but small (need 2), hommus good

coyote - doesnt travel well..tried tacos and enchiladas, but better to make my own fresh, tacos were very soggy when they got here

black swan - roast beef and yorkshire pud - splendid :)

wine connection - Bliss is nice, Crackerjack is cats piss

tobacco - marlboro tasted great with wine and arrived in perfect condition :D

to sum up...perfect service for hangover sofa days just like today...season 2 of The Wire on DVD to top it off makes it just peachy