Temporary Import Of Motorcycle

I wanted to know if anyone has recent experience shipping a motorcycle by air or sea to Thailand as a Temporary Import.

If so how is your experience so far with doing visa runs for the bike?

Any shipping/shipper information would be greatly appreciated along with costs. Information on shipments from the USA are of greatest value.

Thanks,

LivNon2396

I doubt that it is possible. If it would be, that would be an open door for illegal motorbike imports as they would get into Thailand and never go out again.

If it would be possible, I would expect that the imported have to pay a hefty import duty and tax, which one might claim back after reexporting it. But maybe there is an expert here who can help!

Yes it is possible, i have ridden cambodian registered bikes into thailand and the visa is one month,coming by air/sea you will possibly need a guarantor paper ( i forget the name. carnege de passage i think ) its designed that if you dont leave with the bike they keep the paper ,im not sure it is a requirement for thailand but it is for some /most countries, but its definatly do able as my friend roland rode here from europe and yesterday on sukomvut i saw an ameriican couple on a harley with maryland plates ,.

Not only is it possible, its not that hard..

My buddy has had his Harley here for 3 or so years visa running it every 6 months. You intially get 1 or 2 months entry paper and then have to go to local immigration / customs and can extend up to 6 months.

Thailand is not a member of the Carnet du Passage Et Douane system..

I wanted to know if anyone has recent experience shipping a motorcycle by air or sea to Thailand as a Temporary Import.

Any shipping/shipper information would be greatly appreciated along with costs. Information on shipments from the USA are of greatest value.

Thanks,

LivNon2396

Take a look at the following link.It will tell you all you need to know.It can be done and it seems to be very easy indeed.

temporary import motorcycle

Thanks to GT rider.

Thanks,

LivNon2396

Take a look at the following link.It will tell you all you need to know.It can be done and it seems to be very easy indeed.

Thanks to GT rider.

Yes it can be done and does seem easy. I was hoping that there might be some out there that would be able to enlighten others with their personal experience. Many "I know someone that did" stories but like to hear first hand information. I will try to contact the shipper that is recommended when I have time.

Searched through Horizons Unlimited but the shipping info from the states and other countries to Thailand are a few years old.

Thanks,

LivNon2396

Thanks,

LivNon2396

Thanks to GT rider.

Yes it can be done and does seem easy. I was hoping that there might be some out there that would be able to enlighten others with their personal experience. Many "I know someone that did" stories but like to hear first hand information. I will try to contact the shipper that is recommended when I have time.

Searched through Horizons Unlimited but the shipping info from the states and other countries to Thailand are a few years old.

Thanks,

LivNon2396

ask the question on the gt rider forum and you sure will get someone who did it.

Can be done and by all accounts is easy by air. I've been in Mae Sot since February with my French registered bike, but I came overland via Tibet, China and Laos. There are various reports of air shipments on Horizonsunlimited.com, search the forums, not just the web site.

Entering by land couldn't be simpler, Thai customs fill in almost all the forms for you. See the link to the GT-Rider site above. The temporary import is only valid for 30 days or the expiry of your visa, whichever comes first. This can be extended for 30 days at a time at any customs office. No charge. Max. stay for a vehicle is 6 months. You can then ride to Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia and come back, the process then starts all over again. I have done this once and combined it with a necessary visa run to Vientiane. (However, note that you can't enter Laos via any of the "Friendship Bridges" if your vehicle has less than 4 wheels.)

Sea shipping to Bkk is a dodgy proposition. Again, there is advice on the HU forums about this. A couple of friends also staying in Mae Sot ignored this advice and paid for it. Customs in the port where a nightmare to deal with. They demanded import duty, although you are not liable for this under Thai law under temp import. They had to bribe customs to get them to do their job. Not recommended, ship by air instead.