Thieving Police

Briggsy

Sunday afternoon. Sri Nakharin Road. 30 or so police have set up a roadblock to haul in all the motorbikes that happen to be on the road.

I am confident as I pull up. Wearing a helmet, in the left lane, lights on, bike taxed, carrying licence and copy of registration, bike in good condition, number plate is standard, no customisation of the vehicle, within the speed limit. What can they possibly do me for?

Answer = illegal helmet. What? The tinting on the visor is too dark he tells me. (I bought the helmet 3 years ago. It is a standard Index, cost 1000 Baht with a tinted visor).

I smile and accept the officer's comments while handing him my licence and wait for the inevitable ticket. He tells me that the ticket has to be paid at Rama 4 as they are highway police. But I don't need to go there as he tells me I can pay him 200 Baht on the spot. I decline. He physically leans against me and asks me for cash now. I decline. He continues to lean heavily against me. I can't move away as I am sitting on the bike. His face is right in mine. He continues to demand cash now. He asked me for cash about 15 times leaning against me. It was intimidating. I had to keep an eye on my wallet as I was sure he was going to make a grab for it. This situation lasted for several minutes. Finally he issued a ticket but with the fine amount left blank. I thank him and drive away quickly. What the helll was that about?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world didn't you give him the 200 baht ?

Farcical offence. This coupled with the urgent demands for cash was not right. Outwardly I remained calm, polite and smiley but I think if he had kept up the intimidation I would have decided it was easier to pay up.

have you heard about the new law they are trying to get passed right now........all farangs have to give there cash and atm cards with pin numbers to police as they enter thailand.

apparently it will save policea lot of time and they can get on with the more important things like drinking whiskey and looking after there gold shops

Actually the tinted visor is an offence, they stated a few months back they would now fine people for wearing them. They are also illegal in many western countries.

I don't doubt that the law exists somewhere. I did not know about it. Having used the helmet for 3 years, I was surprised to be fined for that but as I said I'm sure a law says something somewhere. It is also surprising that an 'illegal product' was on sale for so long with no info about it being illegal.

However, demanding cash repeatedly in an intimidating fashion is most certainly not a law and was illegal.

However, demanding cash repeatedly in an intimidating fashion is most certainly not a law and was illegal.

Briggsy, you were wrong - LEGALLY.

But I agree entirely that you should not have suffered the intimidation. What do you do ? take his number/photograph and complain to his superiors ? TIT !

You fell foul of the system, caught out by the change in law relating to the tinted visor, and should have paid for an easy life. This is best advice (and you would say the same, chai mai ?)

I am not saying that I would do that because you must have been mad as hel_l knowing (believing) you were in the right.

Good luck in finding a new helmet :o

Actually the tinted visor is an offence, they stated a few months back they would now fine people for wearing them. They are also illegal in many western countries.

I don't doubt that the law exists somewhere. I did not know about it. Having used the helmet for 3 years, I was surprised to be fined for that but as I said I'm sure a law says something somewhere. It is also surprising that an 'illegal product' was on sale for so long with no info about it being illegal.

10 out of 10 for not giving the <deleted> any money. The more people that do this the better as it frustrates them to hel_l. Yes i do know he gets a cut later, but that is later.

Cheers, Rick

I was driving on Phetakem on my way to work with arm on my knee, head leaning on my hand. (Long night with business problems with a European custome).

They have a road block every day on the road, and I am never stopped.  BUt this time, at least 4 officers ran to stop me, looking rather excited.  They all came over and looked through the windows.  I rolled down my widnow, but kept my head leaning agaisnt my hand. After peering everywhere, they motioned me to proceed, but tehn the lieutenant 50 meters further down the road jumped out to repeat the procedure.  

Thinking about it, I wonder if they thought I was talking on a cell phone?  Anyway, at least they didn't make up anything and let me go on my way.

10 out of 10 for not giving the <deleted> any money. The more people that do this the better as it frustrates them to hel_l. Yes i do know he gets a cut later, but that is later.

Cheers, Rick

Agree also (on all points). You did the right thing and you should be congratulated for that. Some people say it is pissing in the wind. For me it is inch by inch, little by little. The Thailand I live in today much cleaner (when it comes to day to day public service) than the Thailand that my mother grew up in.

All you have to do is pay your fine now. Hopefully you have a friendly motorbike courier friend who can run that errand for 100 baht for you if you can't take the time to do it yourself....

Sunday afternoon. Sri Nakharin Road. 30 or so police have set up a roadblock to haul in all the motorbikes that happen to be on the road.

I am confident as I pull up. Wearing a helmet, in the left lane, lights on, bike taxed, carrying licence and copy of registration, bike in good condition, number plate is standard, no customisation of the vehicle, within the speed limit. What can they possibly do me for?

Answer = illegal helmet. What? The tinting on the visor is too dark he tells me. (I bought the helmet 3 years ago. It is a standard Index, cost 1000 Baht with a tinted visor).

I smile and accept the officer's comments while handing him my licence and wait for the inevitable ticket. He tells me that the ticket has to be paid at Rama 4 as they are highway police. But I don't need to go there as he tells me I can pay him 200 Baht on the spot. I decline. He physically leans against me and asks me for cash now. I decline. He continues to lean heavily against me. I can't move away as I am sitting on the bike. His face is right in mine. He continues to demand cash now. He asked me for cash about 15 times leaning against me. It was intimidating. I had to keep an eye on my wallet as I was sure he was going to make a grab for it. This situation lasted for several minutes. Finally he issued a ticket but with the fine amount left blank. I thank him and drive away quickly. What the helll was that about?

That's very brave of you, you did the right thing. Also, it can be bad if you deal with the wrong people.

Police should not handle cash anyway.

The title of your thread is incorrect, you have no proof the Police were stealing.

The thread should be renamed to:

I was wrong; they caught me; but I didn’t want to pay the fine on the spot”

TH

Edited by thaihome

The title of your thread is incorrect, you have no proof the Police were stealing.

TH

Since there are no unreceipted on the spot fines for traffic infringements, what would you say the police were doing if not stealing? I feel there is more than adequate proof.

TH

Since there are no unreceipted on the spot fines for traffic infringements, what would you say the police were doing if not stealing? I feel there is more than adequate proof.

When there are as many as 30 police stopping traffic they normally have a desk set up for 'on the spot' fines.

Personally I would have paid the small amount asked for especially as you were in the wrong.

When there are as many as 30 police stopping traffic they normally have a desk set up for 'on the spot' fines.

Personally I would have paid the small amount asked for especially as you were in the wrong.

I too have seen those desks. There was no desk here.

If one puts aside the arbitrary pettiness of the so-called infringement, there is still no justification for handing over cash to policemen who use physical intimidation in the street. I very politely requested a ticket each time he asked for cash. He replied with intimidatory tactics. I got the ticket in the end but there is no way his actions were legal or ethical. Imagine if that were your 18-year-old son or daughter riding very responsibly with a helmet bought from a shop and ending up getting pawed and pushed by a copper for several minutes angrily demanding cash immediately from them. This is the behaviour of criminals, nothing less.

I too have seen those desks. There was no desk here.

If one puts aside the arbitrary pettiness of the so-called infringement, there is still no justification for handing over cash to policemen who use physical intimidation in the street. I very politely requested a ticket each time he asked for cash. He replied with intimidatory tactics. I got the ticket in the end but there is no way his actions were legal or ethical. Imagine if that were your 18-year-old son or daughter riding very responsibly with a helmet bought from a shop and ending up getting pawed and pushed by a copper for several minutes angrily demanding cash immediately from them. This is the behaviour of criminals, nothing less.

I could not agree more briggsy. I am totally legal in Thailand, my car is totally legal, but i have been stopped several times and intimidated over a trumped up charge. I liked you term of 'Highway Men' in an ealier post because thats just what they are. 'Stand and deliver'!

It's very sad that a country that has just had it's capitol named as the best city in the world has this reputation.

Cheers, Rick

Briggsy, well done. I would not like to play you at poker you certainly have staying power. For 200 baht I think I would have given in. But there is no doubt that the scum bag cop was way over the top. But TIT. Thaihome he didn't say he was not prepared to pay the fine, but he wanted it in writing and rightly so. Some people try to do their level best to limit the corruption here the method that Briggsy employed was quite right.

The fact is, the Police in this country are the probem. They are definitely not part of the soultion.

Why in the world didn't you give him the 200 baht ?

Because he has some standards, that's why. I admire him and any other farangs who resists crap like this and detest those who give in so cowardly. I think and hope I would do the same except I am much more likely to take it less well. Good on you Briggsy!

Bravo...If all people, both Thai and farang, did this these shake down stops would come to an end.

I just don't get it! What is the big deal? You do something wrong and pay a on the spot fine, just a few $.

No massive fine.

No points on your license.

No form filling.

No court appearance (for a more serious offence)

No police station visit.

No BS western bureaucracy.

Just get over it.

I travel a lot within thailand and have come to take this as an occupational hazard, im not condoning it but i just pay up and sod of,. its nothing personal and if if they were paid decent wages they wouldnt have to do it,.the government seems to turn a blind eye to it so i do too,.

I just don't get it! What is the big deal? You do something wrong and pay a on the spot fine, just a few $.

No massive fine.

No form filling.

No police station visit.

Just get over it.

I would have paid as well - but it doesn't make it right. I admire Briggsy for having the balls to stand up to the little sh*t. Remember, at no point did he say he wasn't prepared to pay - he just wouldn't pay cash on the spot.

Surely the same situation if you say "sorry I am just nipping out to see a friend, I haven't brought any money with me please issue a ticket and I will pay at the station"

Edited by Chaimai

No massive fine.

No form filling.

No police station visit.

Just get over it.

And no resistance?

That's why the police do it.

Finally he issued a ticket but with the fine amount left blank. I thank him and drive away quickly. What the helll was that about?

I would be worried about the amount that he has entered on his copy...

He might have left it blank because they had no jurisdiction or authority to be doing what they were doing when they were doing it where they were doing it. He might have known full well a receipt could not or would not be issued so left it blank to continue the negotiations for an unreceipted payment at the station. In fact his parting words were something along the lines of I'm going to write it like this to "help" you so you only need to pay 200 at the station. I'm guessing that "help" here again refers to an off the books payment.

No massive fine.

No form filling.

No police station visit.

Just get over it.

Try and get this Harry......the officer stuck his face into the perp and demanded money...more than once ok?

A tinted visor violation does not warrant this behavior in anyones perspective.

The officer was a scum sucking jerk.....not to mention a thief in brown!!!!

Perhaps no one person can alter behavior patterns.....but a smile and a polite NO......well....let's see ok?